DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 sUAS initial Certification

I took that initial when it first came out in Sept '16. That was specifically designed for part 61 pilots (manned aircraft) who wanted to add 107, for commercial drone use. The part 61 guys kinda get grandfathered in. To become a certified part 107 RP (without any other license/cert held), you must take the knowledge test, then recurrent 2 years later to maintain. Policy will change to some degree for those of us beyond that later this year. It's bit confusing, but your certificate is kinda like a online class completion (don't try and show it to the an FAA administrator!)

I took that initial when it first came out in Sept '16. That was specifically designed for part 61 pilots (manned aircraft) who wanted to add 107, for commercial drone use. The part 61 guys kinda get grandfathered in. To become a certified part 107 RP (without any other license/cert held), you must take the knowledge test, then recurrent 2 years later to maintain. Policy will change to some degree for those of us beyond that later this year. It's bit confusing, but your certificate is kinda like a online class completion (don't try and show it to the an FAA administrator!)

Thank you, this helps my understanding. I finally did get a grip on this issue. I'm am getting ready to take the 107 knowledge test in a few weeks after I finish my study. I have to admit it is interesting even if it is a bit complex.
I do appreciate all the feedback I have received on this issue.

In the mean time I get authorization on the days I choose to fly since I'm in a 5 mile radius of our airport. After various attempts, I figured out how to use Airmap for the authorization.

Reactions: TerreDrone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661