DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 sUAS initial Certification

I'm not sure exactly what information you're looking for, but a Part 107 certification is needed to use your UAV (in the USA) for any commercial purposes or for the benefit of any business (whether or not any money is exchanged). A written test is required at a cost of $150 to obtain the initial certification, which is a bargain compared to some countries. This certification expires every 2 years and the holder must take a retest. The UAVs used for commercial purposes must be registered under Part 107 and this costs $5.00 per unit.

I'm not sure exactly what information you're looking for, but a Part 107 certification is needed to use your UAV (in the USA) for any commercial purposes or for the benefit of any business (whether or not any money is exchanged). A written test is required at a cost of $150 to obtain the initial certification, which is a bargain compared to some countries. This certification expires every 2 years and the holder must take a retest. The UAVs used for commercial purposes must be registered under Part 107 and this costs $5.00 per unit.

Thank you, I have the initial cert but didn't take the 60 question knowledge test for $150. I didn't think it was worth it to fly my drone just for fun.

What do you mean by "I have the initial cert", do you mean you already have the initial Remote Pilot in Command (RPIC) Certificate?

If you didn't take the 60 question FAA exam for$150 then you don't have the Part 107 Certification. Maybe you registered your drone under Part 107 registration instead of Section 336 registration (hobbyists). They are both $5, but Part 107 requires seperate registration for EACH aircraft. One Section 336 registration covers ALL of your aircraft.

OP: That's the abbreviated course and test that someone with a pilot's license and current flight review could use to satisfy the training requirement for a Remote Pilot Certificate with Small UAS rating. It leaves out the material the pilot would presumably already know. It's what I did to get my RPIC-SUAS certificate, since I was already a licensed pilot. I don't think it satisfies any requirements outside of that scenario.

Reactions: globeguy1 and GregD
If you didn't take the 60 question FAA exam for$150 then you don't have the Part 107 Certification. Maybe you registered your drone under Part 107 registration instead of Section 336 registration (hobbyists). They are both $5, but Part 107 requires seperate registration for EACH aircraft. One Section 336 registration covers ALL of your aircraft.

Yes, I registered under 107 and paid the $5 which gave me the registration number I attached to my drone. The other cert was after a series of questions, 10 or so about where and how you are permitted to fly. It looks nice but I don't think it's used for any thing other than to say you passed.

I had the same thing happen. I had to answer 10 questions and I got a hobby pilot license but they did not ask me for my M2P information or serial number. I kept clicking on things until I ended up paying another $5.00 and registering my M2P. Turns out that was the first step to getting a license for part 107 I believe. I got 2 numbers, 1 for me and 1 for my M2P. I put both on the M2P.

Since I don't have a pilots license I'm still not sure what I use this for. Thanks for your help.
Knowledge. You passed a test, and have a cert to prove it, which isn't applicable to what you want to do, but taking the test made you more familiar with some of the rules and practices for good UAV flying.

Just more confusion from the government Now folks will think they have passed their Part 107 exam! Why are the words "Part 107" even on the certificate? Great question Jalatta!

Just more confusion from the government Now folks will think they have passed their Part 107 exam! Why are the words "Part 107" even on the certificate? Great question Jalatta!
Here's why it says part 107. This is taken from the course description which appears before the button to enroll in the course:
"For part 61 pilot certificate holders with a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR part 61.56), successful completion of this online course satisfies the recurrent training requirement to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with a small UAS rating." Along with the certificate is a smaller version of the certificate which the FAA says to keep with your part 61 pilot certificate. So if you're a part 61 and a part 107 pilot, this course takes care of the part 107 recurrency requirement.

For everyone else, the same page states "All other interested individuals may complete this online course as a self-study resource."

Reactions: texasgrape
It sounds like you got caught up in the same thing on the FAA site as I did, Jalatta. I am assuming you were simply trying to register as a hobbyist. As a new drone owner, I was trying to register as a hobbyist a while back, but the first choice on the FAA webpage is 107, not the 336. Should be just the opposite in my humble opinion. I mistakenly registered 107. I'm guessing the vast majority of applicants are just trying to get to the 336 registration. I now know the difference, but as a newbie, just trying to do the right thing and getting a registration in place so I could fly legally, I clicked on 107 because it was the first choice.

It sounds like you got caught up in the same thing on the FAA site as I did, Jalatta. I am assuming you were simply trying to register as a hobbyist. As a new drone owner, I was trying to register as a hobbyist a while back, but the first choice on the FAA webpage is 107, not the 336. Should be just the opposite in my humble opinion. I mistakenly registered 107. I'm guessing the vast majority of applicants are just trying to get to the 336 registration. I now know the difference, but as a newbie, just trying to do the right thing and getting a registration in place so I could fly legally, I clicked on 107 because it was the first choice.

This whole thing is a bit confusing. I had no trouble registering and obtaining an FA number. I now believe that the "Initial" Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Small Uas) Initial is just that. It has some if the questions that are in the knowledge test.

To become a pilot you must:
  • Be at least 16 years old
  • Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English
  • Be in a physical and mental condition to safely fly a drone
  • Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge exam
This is from the FAA website for "Becoming a Drone Pilot"

So, I plan to take the test as soon as I hone up on the questions and become more familiar with the sectional flight maps.

Oh the joy of Government involvement with our lives.

I think the word "initial" is causing your confusion. What you took was the initial (not recurrency) course meant for someone who holds a pilot's license to obtain the RPIC certificate. That's not what you needed, although it doesn't hurt and free training is always good. Keep in mind though that the course and test may have taught you some things that are different under Part 107 vs. Part 101 (under part 101 I'm required to contact my local airport if flying within 5 miles, for example, where I am not required to do so under 107).

Since you're not a pilot, if you want to fly under part 107 you'll take a more comprehensive "initial" (not recurrency) knowledge test to get the RPIC certificate that is much broader in scope, covering airspace, weather, etc. Or you can just fly as a hobbyist under Part 101 and not worry about the test.

Last edited:
For those trying to follow along at home, here is where the tests/courses being discussed are located.
Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov
OvF0MN3.png

Reactions: Willie14228

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661