DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Partial Loss of Control Using Dronelink

doncooke

Reactions
I've flown quite a few successful Dronelink orthophoto mapping missions with my Mini-II. Recently I wanted to map my son's house in Port Moody, BC, and planned and flew a tight pattern at 200' from his back yard. For a second try with better light, I started the flight with Dronelink controlling the mission, and about 100' up noticed that the Mini was just hovering. It was still sending video and I could work the camera angle, but I could not move the drone at all, nor would it respond to RTH. I figured that it would run out the battery and hopefully land at home. As we were discussing this, my son reminded me that as the Mini ascended, I had noticed that it was in "Normal" mode, and had slid the switch to "Cine". On a hunch, I stopped the Dronelink software on my Samsung S20 and started up DJI Fly. This returned control to me and I manually landed the Mini, swapped in a fresh battery, and resumed the orthophoto mission in Dronelink with no problems.

I'm thankful that this worked and trust that any future misadventures will also have good resolutions. In retrospect, I probably could have stopped Dronelink and landed the Mini without DJI Fly, but I'm a relative newbie and didn't think of this at the time.

I've flown quite a few successful Dronelink orthophoto mapping missions with my Mini-II. Recently I wanted to map my son's house in Port Moody, BC, and planned and flew a tight pattern at 200' from his back yard. For a second try with better light, I started the flight with Dronelink controlling the mission, and about 100' up noticed that the Mini was just hovering. It was still sending video and I could work the camera angle, but I could not move the drone at all, nor would it respond to RTH. I figured that it would run out the battery and hopefully land at home. As we were discussing this, my son reminded me that as the Mini ascended, I had noticed that it was in "Normal" mode, and had slid the switch to "Cine". On a hunch, I stopped the Dronelink software on my Samsung S20 and started up DJI Fly. This returned control to me and I manually landed the Mini, swapped in a fresh battery, and resumed the orthophoto mission in Dronelink with no problems.

I'm thankful that this worked and trust that any future misadventures will also have good resolutions. In retrospect, I probably could have stopped Dronelink and landed the Mini without DJI Fly, but I'm a relative newbie and didn't think of this at the time.
If something like that happens just switch to sport mode which will force kill the automatic flight modes and give you back manual control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54