DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PC vs. Mac- Video Editing

I’ve used Mac for years, but have just moved across to PC for one main reason - the specs I needed would have cost about $20k for an iMac Pro, but I built a PC that out performs the iMac Pro for just $7.5k. So the first thing is, Mac’s are much more expensive than PCs, and once you’ve selected a spec, it’s very difficult and expensive to upgrade.

Second point is, Mac’s are far easier to use than PC’s. Turn on a Mac, everything just works and the video editing software is actually very intuitive to use, but there’s a practical limit on how far you can take the software before you need to jump over to ‘professional’ video editing suites.

So there’s pros and cons to both - if you have the coin for a Mac an don’t have any plans to turn professional within the next few years, I’d get a Mac. Definitely get FCPX - for what you pay, it’s day and night from iMovie and very easy to use.

Have used both systems with similar spec hardware. My iMac reported 'An unknown error has occurred' after 90 minutes rendering a project after reboots and retries. I found some online help that advised me to unmute the speaker and it finally worked. After too many hours trying to get my wireless Time Capsule working, my technically unsophisticated spouse accidentally clicked an option not to use the wireless and it began functioning; until we had a power failure and I had to start the process all over again. I still have it but no longer have the patience to attempt going through the tech support from square one again.

Never in my life have I had greater frustration in dealing with hard and software than I did with my Mac. iTunes, Garage Band and the other things I tried never worked without being more work than the effort justified. It now sits on the kitchen table as a browser appliance and has lovely audio speakers and video screen. I long ago gave up trying to get anything productive done with it and do all my photo, video, writing and communication work on PC or other systems. I really should sell mt 2TB Time Capsule...

Reactions: 4wd
i don't think so. if you are a hobbiest iMovie is, really, probably enough. basic color grading. if not (or if you've just got a pile of money sitting around) get fcpx or premiere.

Also keep in mind that while Premiere Pro supports LUTs natively, FCPX requires the purchase of a plugin (LUT Utility - one-off purchase of $29 from Color Grading Central). The LUT Utility works well in FCPX, so worth the money IMHO, if you’re an FCPX user.

I have been working with computers, and making films since the 60s. Computers have come a long way. Different people have very different experiences and perceptions of what is good. My current favorite machines have been Apples, but have worked on Windows 3.1 on up, VMS , UNIX. Good is what works for you. For me, Apple has been the best by far. Reliable and easy to use. Not expensive in comparison to the PCs when comparably configured.

There is an easy way to use your favorite hardware. Get Blackmagic Design’s Resolve 14. There are versions for both Mac andPC and they work identically.
For 4K editing, either Mac or PC, you will need up to date hardware that is pretty powerful.

Resolve is a great product, and very powerful. With that power comes complexity, and a long learning curve.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone