DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Performance in rain and cloud. Sort of IFR

lomposlapos

Reactions
I have an option to fly the drone over scenic terrain with airspace blocked for my use. No visual contact is needed. Sort of IFR.
I am in South America, with clouds, rain, fog, touching the mountains. Absolutely amazing.
How is the M2P performs under such conditions?
Can I fly right into rain and clouds? Any advice to get the shot and still keep more than the memory card?

Start up by saying that a M2P is not water sealed in any way ... it's open vents into the electronics all around, generally electronics & water doesn't go well together. If you google you can find various products that claim that they can seal of & make it more water "secured".

Then clouds & fog ... with different OD sensors & VPS sensors on you can have unpleasant surprises where the AC either don't want to go down, forward or backwards as it sees the cloud/fog as an obstacle. And even worse, the AC can start to land as it sees the cloud/fog beneath it as the ground. Then a warning regarding flying in clouds or fog near the freezing point ... that can form ice around the props & then they lose lift & the AC goes down. Also remember that clouds & fog isn't smoke ... it's also water & a drone flying through it can be equal or more wet than flying through rain.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAMiK