DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Performance Research Mavic Mini

klusmanp

Reactions
Hello I am an Aerospace Engineer working in aircraft industry (Cessna, Boeing, etc). My professional work is in structural analysis and I also have a background in low Reynolds number aerodynamics. I'm interested in conducting research and development on < 250g quadcopter. I believe current designs could benefit from aerodynamic improvements for greater flight time/payload/speed/etc. I would specifically like to make improvements to the DJI Mini Mavic. I have extensive experience in traditional RC fixed wing/helicopters but I'm completely new to quads.

Questions:

1) Is it possible to tune the PID of the autopilot of a DJI copter if I were to change some of the airframe characteristics?

2) If I build a custom airframe and transplant the DJI electronics I may end up with the board that contains the accelerometers in a different orientation. Is it possible to remap the accelerometers of the DJI electronics?

3) Am I better off just buying electronic components intended for custom builds rather than trying to retune the DJI guts in a new airframe?

Thanks,
Paul Klusman

Reactions: x-uas
Sounds like in your case, it would be option #3....good luck! I have some PID tuning experience in the past, but it was basically heat, fan speed, and time. Tuning one for autopilot would be too much for me!

Reactions: klusmanp
Flight time is going to be based on battery size and weight ratio.
Speed on some DJI products can be hacked. Some firmwares will allow that and some won’t. Research the DJI hack treads on various sites.
Location of components will be based on design of airframe as you probably already know.
And please post pictures later.
And I’m not convinced DJI did the airframe correctly on the mini as I have one that seems to have a prop striking the arm at about the hinge point.

Reactions: klusmanp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998