DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Personal insurance vs DJI Care Refresh

Motley

Reactions
I wanted to get everyone's thought's on the various insurance policies available for our fairly expensive drones and who uses what. I have heard that homeowners policies will cover accidents and even replace the drone and of course there is the DJI Care Refresh which really only provides replacement drones in case of crashes not covered by warranty. There is also "pay per use" insurance policies like Verifly which I tend to like myself as they can be purchased only if you feel there is enough risk in the flight you are about to perform.

What I don't like about the DJI Care Refresh policy is that it only lasts 1 year, does not cover any damages other than drone, and I am not sure if that is renewable or not (but lets face it, next year we will all want the new hot drone :) ).

Thoughts???

Last edited:
Reactions: 5P3CTR3
I personally have covered my Mavic with both DJI Refresh as well as a State Farm stand alone policy for $50 a year. I figured that DJI Care Refresh is good for priority on any repair requests as well as replacements for a crash (already in progress for first one).

I figured with State Farm, after one claim the policy will be dropped, so I'm keeping that for after year 1 ends or if it is not recoverable/stolen (with Refresh, the damaged unit must be sent in)

I personally have covered my Mavic with both DJI Refresh as well as a State Farm stand alone policy for $50 a year. I figured that DJI Care Refresh is good for priority on any repair requests as well as replacements for a crash (already in progress for first one).

I figured with State Farm, after one claim the policy will be dropped, so I'm keeping that for after year 1 ends or if it is not recoverable/stolen (with Refresh, the damaged unit must be sent in)
Interesting, so how does Refresh handle fly-aways, guessing that is an extenuating circumstance that they would look at on a case-by-case basis. I do not have Refresh and my repair was about as quick as anyone with the Refresh has stated (1.5 weeks with shipping both directions over Christmas holiday), although mine was a warranty covered issue and not something that Refresh was needed for.

Does anyone know what happens on care refresh if an accident happens above water and it ends up sinking and you the video evidence from the device?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Interesting, so how does Refresh handle fly-aways, guessing that is an extenuating circumstance that they would look at on a case-by-case basis. I do not have Refresh and my repair was about as quick as anyone with the Refresh has stated (1.5 weeks with shipping both directions over Christmas holiday), although mine was a warranty covered issue and not something that Refresh was needed for.

That is a very good question. It was my impression that fly aways were not something that was covered by Refresh, which is more for accidental damage and needs to have a drone returned to them. Possibly if flight logs are recorded to the app and it can be shown that no stick input was causing the fly-away, they may take responsibility, but I do not know for sure.

Does anyone know what happens on care refresh if an accident happens above water and it ends up sinking and you the video evidence from the device?
You should contact DJI support and they will ask you to provide them with the logs so they can evaluate. If they determine it was a Mavic malfunction they should replace it for you. If it was your fault or accident my guess is they will want the drone returned and you will have to go for a dive yourself :(

Fly away or sinking to the bottom where you can't recover it, if you have no drone to send them, Dji refresh will not cover it.

Is it worth to spend $175(Refresh + 1st drone) for repair/replace your drone which cost only $500(since it could be refurbished, brand new is $799). I wonder if Credit card will cover the first 3 months under accidental damage.

Sorry to bump an Old thread, but I just realized that I could still get the Care Refresh on my new Mavic (even though I bought it a month ago), if I make that video they want.

I've had State Farm insurance on my P3S for the past year, now I have it on my Mavic Pro. I was thinking on whether or not it's worth adding the Care Refresh. The insurance will replace the full cost of the drone if it has a bad crash or even gets lost. My main fear, since I live near a lot of water, is losing it out over the water and not recovering it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78