DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantomrain ! Why we fly BACKWARDS

That was just RUDE:
There was no reason for you to post this about other drone pilots:

"Those people who still have not realized that the Mavics should not be flown in the rain can probably no longer be helped."

We have also Repeated several times the Wet Suit Does not VOID ANY WARRANTY !

Getting caught in the Rain just happens period.
You do not need to put other drones pilots down to make your point.

As far as your do it yourself tip , Duct Tape will work fine also.
I do not address anyone personally, as you did with me! It is not my intention to attack anyone personally. It is not a boxing ring here. It's about understanding, information, enlightening and explaining. I understand this forum as a peaceful meeting place. If you misunderstood me, then I'm very sorry. But I really hope you have to follow the same rules as we all here ...

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
My statement was "possibly" !!!

There is always a share of people who do not understand why a particular form of product use is not possible or not secure enough.

I did not address anyone personally like you! ... Me & I :) ...

I just wanted to point out again that these mavics were not built to withstand the rain.

And who ignores this, will have to pay damages and consequential damages alone!!!

You may be very aggressive and affected as a provider of any product accessories? Maybe this will unsettle some of your potential customers?

Can you finally provide or refer to meaningful evidence of the functionality and safety of your product?

Being from West Germany and your lack of product knowledge you must not be able to get on the Phantomrain.org website.

This is where we have posted over 100 different videos and other information about the Phantom 4 and Mavic 2 wet suits.

I get that, so let me help you with that :

We never planned on making the Wet Suits for the Mavic 2 or any of the Mavics for that matter as we did not see a need being that they were much better engineered for flying in the rain than say the Phantoms.

We purchased the Mavic 2 to fly Tandem with the Phantom 4 and Record the Phantom from behind in flight in all of the extreme storms we were going to fly it in this year.

To quickly test the Mavic 2 I poured a couple of glasses of water over the battery of the Mavic 2 and just a tiny drop got inside, so we were good to go.

Upon the very fist flight in the rain however, which lasted about 4 minutes the lights went red and I opened the Battery Cover and there was water inside the battery , this was alarming, sad and disappointing to say the least.

So knowing, that the Wet Suits we designed for the Phantom 4 Pro could sustain 26 minutes in the pouring rain without any water getting inside the drone I applied the Wet Suit to the Mavic 2

The full 26 minute video is the on website Phantomrain.org

Based on over 100 flights with the Phantom in the Rain thus far , the Wet Suits were a success and we sold thousands of units because of it. NO RICE needed.

The Mavic 2 however had a much better design to fly in the rain.

Since the Release Approx 3 weeks ago we have only had 1 freak rain storm to truly test the Product .

The fact that no water got inside the battery and the lights stayed on was already a huge improvement over the Mavic without a wet suit.

The Reason why DRONES can fly in the rain is do to the fact that they use
Aluminum Brushless Motors which are so water resistant that they are used in some submersibles in fresh water. The key is to protect the Battery:

There are no Guarantees :
We know from the sales of the Phantom Wet Suits that thousands of people have leaned to make money with there drone and need to fly everyday rain or shine and the Wet Suits provide just that.

Will keep everyone posted when we have a Full Potential downpour where we can fly in sport mode for 26 minutes but until than this will have to do. Thank you.

Being from West Germany and your lack of product knowledge you must not be able to get on the Phantomrain.org website.

This is where we have posted over 100 different videos and other information about the Phantom 4 and Mavic 2 wet suits.

I get that, so let me help you with that :

We never planned on making the Wet Suits for the Mavic 2 or any of the Mavics for that matter as we did not see a need being that they were much better engineered for flying in the rain than say the Phantoms.

We purchased the Mavic 2 to fly Tandem with the Phantom 4 and Record the Phantom from behind in flight in all of the extreme storms we were going to fly it in this year.

To quickly test the Mavic 2 I poured a couple of glasses of water over the battery of the Mavic 2 and just a tiny drop got inside, so we were good to go.

Upon the very fist flight in the rain however, which lasted about 4 minutes the lights went red and I opened the Battery Cover and there was water inside the battery , this was alarming, sad and disappointing to say the least.

So knowing, that the Wet Suits we designed for the Phantom 4 Pro could sustain 26 minutes in the pouring rain without any water getting inside the drone I applied the Wet Suit to the Mavic 2

The full 26 minute video is the on website Phantomrain.org

Based on over 100 flights with the Phantom in the Rain thus far , the Wet Suits were a success and we sold thousands of units because of it. NO RICE needed.

The Mavic 2 however had a much better design to fly in the rain.

Since the Release Approx 3 weeks ago we have only had 1 freak rain storm to truly test the Product .

The fact that no water got inside the battery and the lights stayed on was already a huge improvement over the Mavic without a wet suit.

The Reason why DRONES can fly in the rain is do to the fact that they use
Aluminum Brushless Motors which are so water resistant that they are used in some submersibles in fresh water. The key is to protect the Battery:

There are no Guarantees :
We know from the sales of the Phantom Wet Suits that thousands of people have leaned to make money with there drone and need to fly everyday rain or shine and the Wet Suits provide just that.

Will keep everyone posted when we have a Full Potential downpour where we can fly in sport mode for 26 minutes but until than this will have to do. Thank you.

You do it again, and again it becomes personal. You subject me to lack of knowledge about technical relationships, certain products or whatever.

In fact, I do not know enough about many things, but always try to learn something new. That's why I like to be here in the community.

It also does not matter from what angle the earth I come, because I could not choose it. I just got used to living where I was born. What's wrong with living such a miserable life? Such a nonsense...

Because if I want to buy something, then I find a way across many oceans. Believe it or leave it. Maybe you lack the necessary sensitivity in dealing with potential customers.

What uses an aluminum shell the engines? All engines of the Mavics (new and old) have steel shanks and bearings. The Mavics have, for example, highly sensitive precision mechanics in the gimbal, as well as sensitive sensors. Not to mention there are enough gaps and openings. How long will it actually be fine to fly in the rain?

But it is certainly not "only" to protect the batteries from moisture...

You are absolutely right, I have absolutely no product knowledge. And otherwise, I'm not very intelligent. My concerns are certainly completely unfounded, and I stand here completely alone.

Nevertheless, I think you should give us real customer feedback and independent test results. I'm so sorry, but Your 100+ videos prove only that DJI products are technically very sophisticated...
Thanks

my friend why you talk bad about germany

No one talking bad about Germany but for whatever reason I am being told that you cannot get on my website phantomrain.org if you live in West Germany, and a few other places.

If you email [email protected] we can work around that for you by sending you a catalog of sorts and a Paypal invoice , we also make up the International shipping cost by giving you two Wet Suits for the Price of 1 and extra battery covers. So I do what i can for you.

In the meantime I will keep applying for the privacy policy which may be stopping the website from loading.
Thank you.

Flying in the rain voids warranty. So while using your suit doesn't void the warranty in itself, warranty is still voided if anyone uses your product for what you advertise it for. Unless YOU decide to cover any water damage that may happen while using your product, but I haven't read about that.

I really wish the admin team would refuse to accept/approve vendors repeatedly posting such borderline claims / making use of completely false excuses to push their products / who are only looking for an advertising billboard, and stick to those who put effort to help beyond just selling their stuff. And no this post wasn't an example of the latter, just a poor attempt at looking like one.

giphy.gif

Reactions: mnis
Captain Coal Akida strikes again with his poorly constructed criticisms, this time directed at the Germans. Yeah, you've got 100 videos of drones hovering in the rain, we've still yet to see any evidence of the drone flying forward/backward whatever 0% proof and yet when someone questions you, you get all personal and immediately go on the defensive.

If this is an advert for PhantomPain then you're certainly not doing yourself any favors.

You keep saying how you've sold thousands of units, please show us all 1 satisfied review/video - anything!

Your last thread turned into one big argument, so you make another one saying this time - we should be flying backward! Most likely because flying forwards your camera will get wet and most likely damaged and also you'll get rain inside the vents. That's how confident you are about your product.

There's one simple solution to all this, offer a 100% warranty if your drone get's damaged while using your wetsuit. That's confidence in your product.

Why are some areas like the rear shoulders of the m2 fitted with little stick on bits of neoprene when there isnt even any gap or joint there?, its just an area of moulded plastic that is already impervious to water.

Not convinced that the attempted sealing of the motors by putting neoprene discs over the cooling intakes/outlets is a great idea either.
Sorry but I just don't get this

We made no attempt at sealing the motors, they dont need it. The Motors are aluminum brushless motors and they are capable of running under water , this is why its possible to fly in the rain in the first place. ( fresh water )

The Prop covers we added because the props come off to easy, and we would rather have chipped props than have the drone drop to the ground do to some twigs or leaves.

The Neoprene Extends down into the legs where they bend inside to help seal the open gaps because water gets inside.

The other outer two legs are covered just to give it a a more secure feel when picking it up, and for some more protection.

We also protect the bottom housing with the Neoprene because it draws the water straight down as you can see in the video below.

Despite what you hear , it the hover that is the toughest thing to do for the drone as that is when the drone takes on the most water very quickly.

When we tested the Mavic 2 we just hovered it for 4 minutes in the pouring rain , that is all it took for the water to get inside the battery.

We know we are going to take some Heat, anger, and deal with some emotional boils because the product is only a few days old.

It does not help that we only have 1 video of real world testing , but we do have 2 years with the Phantom 4 Wet Suits and we learned a lot from that drone.

We have not had a chance yet to Video tape the Mavic 2 in Slow motion but as you can see on the Phantom 4 pro we were able to see exactly how all the components came together to secure our 26 minute flights in the rain.

So we took what concepts we could from the Phantom 4 Success and applied the concepts to the Mavic 2 and soon the Mavic Pro and Enterprise.

Thank you for your interest:

So we have 133 days or RAIN last year and were just getting started this year so plenty of time to post more videos.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
Is the water still able to enter the air craft through the front and rear air vents?

No rain is not able to get thru the vents as its coming down with force, and there is no vacum to suck in the water. We double up on the Thickness on the neoprene over the vents to Prevent dripping water from getting inside.

Most of the Entire Mavic 2 build was already built to be Water Resistant, that is why we were surprised that the battery seal would be so weak and that the legs gaps would not be covered.

Thank you for your interest.

Hmm, you say "We made no attempt at sealing the motors, they dont need it The Motors are aluminum brushless motors and they are capable of running under water ".

and yet the advert on your website says "stops water and debris from getting inside"

The only way both statements could be true is if the "stops water" bit was purely accidental which would seem strange given your chosen speciality

I reckon your making it up as you go along

Hmm, you say "We made no attempt at sealing the motors, they dont need it The Motors are aluminum brushless motors and they are capable of running under water ".

and yet the advert on your website says "stops water and debris from getting inside"

You bring up a good point, that because the props are so loose the debris does get inside very easy , espeically sand and small pebbles as we have seen many incidents of this posted on forums.

Yes the Props covers do secure the props tighter but they also stop sand , grit, dust, and pebbles from from getting inside so easily.

We make it very clear that the motors were designed to negotiate water , but not debris.
So the prop covers besides securing the props offer other benefits as well.

Thank you for your interest.

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 2.21.05 AM.png

Thank you for taking the time to answer some questions. I do have some serious questions of my own if you don't mind?

First, you mention:
The Prop covers we added because the props come off to easy, and we would rather have chipped props than have the drone drop to the ground do to some twigs or leaves.

Is this the stock Mavic 2 Pro your talking about here? Using stock Dji Props? Are you saying they are likely to come off during flight? Or even that there are incidents you're aware of where this has happened? If so, that's slightly worrying!

Also, you mention:
No rain is not able to get thru the vents as its coming down with force, and there is no vacum to suck in the water. We double up on the Thickness on the neoprene over the vents to Prevent dripping water from getting inside.

If the drone is to fly forwards, wouldn't the rain push through the vents due to the forces and the pressure from the momentum of the drone? And with the addition of the flight angle, ie the drone tilts forwards as it flies, the water wouldn't necessarily run straight down, would it not?

Finally, you mention:
We know we are going to take some Heat, anger, and deal with some emotional boils because the product is only a few days old.

Looking through the videos on your site, you have this video titled:
Mavic 2 Hail Storm and Rain with Mavic Rain Wet Suit

This is 1 month ago, can you confirm the product is only a few days old?

Hope you can shed some light on my questions.

Thank you.

Edit:
If you could spend some time to answer the above questions I think we'd all appreciate it @Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
I have no intention of ever flying in the rain but was curious about resistance to moisture in humid environments. I enjoy vacationing in tropical locations (who doesn’t) where the humidity can be high for extended periods. I know that there is a lot of technology in our drones which means circuit boards and sensitive electronics. Also, there are fans that are actively drawing in air to cool the electronics. Does anyone know if the internal electronics and connections are sealed or coated to protect against moisture?

Also, I would be interested in hearing from drone pilots that live in the tropics and if they are having any issues.

Cover my drone price if it fails and I will demo your rainsuit in an Arizona monsoon. The lightning pictures will be epic....lol

Cover my drone price if it fails and I will demo your rainsuit in an Arizona monsoon. The lightning pictures will be epic....lol
It will be exciting to see this.

If the water does not reach the ESC's immediately, you will be able to fly a few times. The Bearings of all engines (including gimbal) must be dried and regreased after each flight, if accessible. Hopefully no moisture gets into the camera. And at best, you should not fly forwards or backwards against the rain, but sideways :)

If all this does not lead to total failure, then it is still not good because the lifetime of the aircraft will be greatly reduced...

My statement was "possibly" !!!

There is always a share of people who do not understand why a particular form of product use is not possible or not secure enough.

I did not address anyone personally like you! ... Me & I :) ...

I just wanted to point out again that these mavics were not built to withstand the rain.

And who ignores this, will have to pay damages and consequential damages alone!!!

You may be very aggressive and affected as a provider of any product accessories? Maybe this will unsettle some of your potential customers?

Can you finally provide or refer to meaningful evidence of the functionality and safety of your product?
I think you should speak for yourself and not others as your statement of saying I'm unprofessional if I get caught in the rain. I have done professional photo shoots with my Mavic Pro in Several places throughout the world and have gotten caught in the rain. I understand expressing your own opinion in regards to this, but.. you do not speak for me or several other members on the forum. I would much rather use his product and potentially prevent my drone from getting wet rather than have no protection at all. As per whether it was informative or advertising, I always thought that proof is in the doing. Show me it works, so informative it was as well as advertising. And if I did get water in my drone, I cant blame them either. It's a preventive measure, not a cure all. It's like your saying, locks on doors are full proof when they are not. They are preventive measures. I like that concept and will probably purchase it for my drone. Talking about warranties etc.. either way if you got caught in the rain, which both professionals and Amateurs (with and without rain equipment) do at times as weather can be unpredictable, I would rather have something than have nothing. First post and my 2 cents.

I think you should speak for yourself and not others as your statement of saying I'm unprofessional if I get caught in the rain. I have done professional photo shoots with my Mavic Pro in Several places throughout the world and have gotten caught in the rain. I understand expressing your own opinion in regards to this, but.. you do not speak for me or several other members on the forum. I would much rather use his product and potentially prevent my drone from getting wet rather than have no protection at all. As per whether it was informative or advertising, I always thought that proof is in the doing. Show me it works, so informative it was as well as advertising. And if I did get water in my drone, I cant blame them either. It's a preventive measure, not a cure all. It's like your saying, locks on doors are full proof when they are not. They are preventive measures. I like that concept and will probably purchase it for my drone. Talking about warranties etc.. either way if you got caught in the rain, which both professionals and Amateurs (with and without rain equipment) do at times as weather can be unpredictable, I would rather have something than have nothing. First post and my 2 cents.

I did not want to address anyone personally. If you consider my statements as a personal attack, then I apologize at this point.

I'm not saying you're unprofessional...I say there are people who just do not want to understand some of the relationships.
The core message is and remains:
The Mavics (maybe not the Enterprise versions) were not built to withstand extreme weather situations.
They were built (in my view) mainly for non-commercial purposes. This does not exclude a decision for commercial and professional use!

I can not stop anyone from doing anything (in my view) wrong. So take my well-intentioned warning or ignore it.
!!! To me !!! At the moment the following is clear, at least I understood it like this:
- The provider of the rain cover offered here, is currently not ready to assume a functional guarantee for the specially advertised product. The buyer uses the product at his own risk. For example, a simple and inexpensive DIY solution may provide similar protection for the aircraft.
- For me, all the videos and images seen so far are not convincing.
- There are currently no references to independent tests.
- If doubts are expressed, one receives (very offensively) repeatedly evasive statements.

In fact, I was interested in the product advertised here. I like to look for already existing accessories, even if I do not even own the machine intended for that purpose.

So if you want to try this protection anyway, then it would be nice if you tell us your findings later. Maybe you will be the first ...

Reactions: Kilrah
Please send this forum a check for your donations to keep it running, who do you think pays for this forum? these vendors. If you don't like their post read past them or skip them. The simple fact is no one has shown these rain suits to damage your drone or make it worse than it was without the suit ,so where is the beef. most of us put insurance on our drones to cover loss or liability this is a cheap form of insurance, it is not required,it is just for your personal peace of mind if you want it. Why do y'all have to make such a big deal over a product. But I will let the moderators know they should be expecting all those checks to come pouring in to keep this form going.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky