DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phillydrone life asking for trouble ?

I'm not aware that there is an FAA rule on drone-train separation. There are newly updated rules on flying over people and cars, and he seems to be in compliance with them. Alternatively, there is no evidence on this video that he is NOT in compliance.

As far as the message goes, we're allowed to do that in America.
Hi ,as my original post was made assuming U.S drone laws were similar to those in the EU which require 30m separation from any object not under your control , ie ships , trains , earth moving equipment etc , so as I stated previously ,I was wrong in stating that he broke any rules .

I'm not aware that there is an FAA rule on drone-train separation. There are newly updated rules on flying over people and cars, and he seems to be in compliance with them. Alternatively, there is no evidence on this video that he is NOT in compliance.

As far as the message goes, we're allowed to do that in America.
That is not just “cars” it is “moving vehicles” and those include cars, trains, bicycles, skateboards, construction equipment, boats, etc.

Reactions: Heavydpj
This guy is asking for trouble . Flying well inside the 150 m separation required to the train and putting a F$ck the FAA message in the video to boot.
Thought he would have learned his lesson with the fine last year . FAA must actually be toothless if they're allowing this to continue.
The guy is no ambassador to this hobby .

Latest video here (jump to 17.07 if his grating voice does your head in)

I’ve known PDL Mikey for a couple of years and have called him out on his channel on several occasions about some of his flying habits, which he hasn’t particularly liked (nor his loyal merry band of men and women chatterers 😊). But his heart is in the right place in wanting to provide a helpful but different type of channel devoted to drones, even if at times his drones aren’t in the right place!! 😳 As others here suggest that no rules have been broken in the US in this particular video, I have to give credit both to the excellent low light filming with that drone and to the control of the flying following the train. I hope that by acknowledging drone skills and yet also challenging things that we might view as unnecessarily risky, that we all continue to more forward in a safe and exciting way. And that everyone learns from the shared experiences and feedback (including Mikey! 😊). 👍😎🇳🇿💫

While not an urban drone pilot myself, I do enjoy watching skilled, low-altitude non-FPV piloting in such a chaotic environment (power lines & poles, buildings of varying heights, narrow streets, etc).

What I do have a problem with are 'auditors'. Some of these locations look like there could be some interesting straight-down photos from 20-30 meters altitude, but there's no point being confrontational about it! Just pilot from your vehicle!

And the problem is... he is enjoying his drone instead of searching videos of other people and blaming to them? Lol

Drones are the safest branch of aviation with 0 deaths and all we received in exchange is a 2.5Km target on our heads called RID.

Reactions: NewAir2sMan
While not an urban drone pilot myself, I do enjoy watching skilled, low-altitude non-FPV piloting in such a chaotic environment (power lines & poles, buildings of varying heights, narrow streets, etc).

What I do have a problem with are 'auditors'. Some of these locations look like there could be some interesting straight-down photos from 20-30 meters altitude, but there's no point being confrontational about it! Just pilot from your vehicle!
So what you are saying, it's ok to commit a criminal offense as long as you don't get caught. That's like saying it's ok to shoot someone, just do it from your car. I only get upset over comments like that because it gives people who are new to the UAV world the wrong attitude and makes it harder on everyone else in the long run. It's self-serving at minimum.

Drones are the safest branch of aviation with 0 deaths and all we received in exchange is a 2.5Km target on our heads called RID.
Exactly!! That's what I am thinking too! Some regulations are too restrictive for just a hobby that doesn't cause many accidents, if any at all!

This guy is asking for trouble . Flying well inside the 150 m separation required to the train and putting a **** the FAA message in the video to boot.
Thought he would have learned his lesson with the fine last year . FAA must actually be toothless if they're allowing this to continue.
The guy is no ambassador to this hobby .

Latest video here (jump to 17.07 if his grating voice does your head in)

I’m sooooo glad I have a mute button. 🤪

Exactly!! That's what I am thinking too! Some regulations are too restrictive for just a hobby that doesn't cause many accidents, if any at all!
0 deaths but many injuries. Just a matter of time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine