DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phlying in Philly

douglas_in_philly

Reactions
Friends,

My name--as you might have guessed from my username--is Doug, and yep, you guessed it, I live in Philly (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA). I got a Syma X5C-1 drone (really a toy, more than a serious drone) about 4 years ago, and really flying it, but it was so severely limited in its ability to fly in any wind whatsoever, the lack of ability to see what the camera was seeing, having to fly blind (no video feed from the drone to the controller), and the seriously limited distance/height to which it could fly before losing control.

I just got a Mavic Mini, and WOW...what a difference! SO rock solid compared to the Syma, and such incredible video! I've flown it only a handful of times, but have gotten way up there, and quite a distance away (about 1600 feet). I'm loving it, and hope to keep on flying for the foreseeable future.

Happy phlying!

Doug

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 9.13.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 9.13.03 PM.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 22
Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to the forum Doug! We are stronger with you. I too started with the Syma X5c. Fun and fast bird.

The MM is an incredible bird. Absolutely amazing! I've decided to get one myself. Please visit the crash/flyaway page of this forum. It's worth reading the blow away horror stories of the mavic mini. It may be calm winds AGL but its a different story at 200' AGL . . . it can happen.

Happy flying! Fly safe, fly responsible . . .

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Reactions: Thomas B
I live in South Jersey and fly in Philly all the time. The park behind the art museum is a great spot.

Hi Doug,

I liked your post. It made me feel like I was not so alone at my absolute amazement when going from my first "trainer" drone (Promarks) to a DJI product. I do not have a Mini but I know the feeling is the same when you feel the precise control & stability in your hands.

I am not trying to preach or judge as I know people have different sight abilities but watch that distance (1600 feet out) especially while learning your new drone. The confidence a new great machine can instill also can lead to negative outcomes not to mention the guidelines(law) laid out by the FAA.

Have Fun!!

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome Doug ...shout out from the Philly burbs (West Norriton) ..you will find tons of answers here and thought-provoking ideas and opinions :)

Friends,

My name--as you might have guessed from my username--is Doug, and yep, you guessed it, I live in Philly (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA). I got a Syma X5C-1 drone (really a toy, more than a serious drone) about 4 years ago, and really flying it, but it was so severely limited in its ability to fly in any wind whatsoever, the lack of ability to see what the camera was seeing, having to fly blind (no video feed from the drone to the controller), and the seriously limited distance/height to which it could fly before losing control.

I just got a Mavic Mini, and WOW...what a difference! SO rock solid compared to the Syma, and such incredible video! I've flown it only a handful of times, but have gotten way up there, and quite a distance away (about 1600 feet). I'm loving it, and hope to keep on flying for the foreseeable future.

Happy phlying!

Doug

Plenty of places to fly in and around the city....

Hi Doug,

I liked your post. It made me feel like I was not so alone at my absolute amazement when going from my first "trainer" drone (Promarks) to a DJI product. I do not have a Mini but I know the feeling is the same when you feel the precise control & stability in your hands.

I am not trying to preach or judge as I know people have different sight abilities but watch that distance (1600 feet out) especially while learning your new drone. The confidence a new great machine can instill also can lead to negative outcomes not to mention the guidelines(law) laid out by the FAA.

Have Fun!!

Thanks for the welcome, FiLiNuX, and duly noted about the VLOS issue. I may have gotten a bit carried away on my first few flights! I have been reading various forum posts, both here and elsewhere, and understand the risks one is taking when flying beyond one's line of sight.

Reactions: FiLiNuX
Plenty of places to fly in and around the city....

Some great videos, FASTFJR!!!!! So do you have a motorcycle, too? I think an "FJR" is a sportbike model, right? I'm a former motorcyclist, who's looking to get back to riding. I re-took the Motorcycle Safety class about a month ago, and that was my first time back on a bike in about 18 years! I had taken the MSF class back in the very early 90s when I got my first bike, and figured taking it again would be a good refresher, plus a way to get on a bike for a while for free, to make sure I still liked it (I *loved* every minute!!!!).

I love the Wissahickon area, and didn't even know about that "Teedyuscung" statue.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Some great videos, FASTFJR!!!!! So do you have a motorcycle, too? I think an "FJR" is a sportbike model, right? I'm a former motorcyclist, who's looking to get back to riding. I re-took the Motorcycle Safety class about a month ago, and that was my first time back on a bike in about 18 years! I had taken the MSF class back in the very early 90s when I got my first bike, and figured taking it again would be a good refresher, plus a way to get on a bike for a while for free, to make sure I still liked it (I *loved* every minute!!!!).

I love the Wissahickon area, and didn't even know about that "Teedyuscung" statue.

Thanks! I actually had two Yamaha FJR 1300's. I sold the last one in 2012. I rode for 30 some odd years, gave it up around 50, just got tire of too many close calls. The Motorcycle Safety class is excellent!

Friends,

Happy phlying!

Doug
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Mini, Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nordrand