DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone and controller

BillC

Reactions
I am new to all this and before I purchase a drone copter I want to be sure I have the proper phone for the controller.
Does the phone or viewing device have to be set up to send/receive data or does it act as a monitor to see what is happening?
Am trying to figure out if iPad will work , the iPad I have is wi-fi only and I don't want to set up my phone as a hot spot if it isn't necessary. I understand that maps need to be connected with data.
Thanks,
BC

The phone acts as a moniter but its also responsible for any settings that need to be changed and its how you access the intelligent flight modes, you'd still need a fairly current phone to avoid glitching or lag in the display. Not sure about the ipads though since i use android.. Im sure someone on here can give you a bit more insight

The phone acts as a moniter but its also responsible for any settings that need to be changed and its how you access the intelligent flight modes, you'd still need a fairly current phone to avoid glitching or lag in the display. Not sure about the ipads though since i use android.. Im sure someone on here can give you a bit more insight
Thanks for the quick reply.
So , if the phone is tethered to the controller it should work without an internet connection , correct ?

Thanks for the quick reply.
So , if the phone is tethered to the controller it should work without an internet connection , correct ?
Yes you can fly without an internet connection. The ipad (standard iPad) is not compatible. Here is a list of compatible iOs devices
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.

Reactions: thatguy0329
Samsung Note 3 works fine gives an adequate picture and fits in the cradle

You can find other recommended and commonly used phones/tablets here.

You can find other recommended and commonly used phones/tablets here.
Thanks to everyone.
As a side note , my son has a Phantom 3 Standard and we flew it yesterday. I could not see the screen on his cell phone very well so am looking at a iPad Mine 4 or something to give me a better picture of where the drone is.
thanks again,
BC

I am new to all this and before I purchase a drone copter I want to be sure I have the proper phone for the controller.
Does the phone or viewing device have to be set up to send/receive data or does it act as a monitor to see what is happening?
Am trying to figure out if iPad will work , the iPad I have is wi-fi only and I don't want to set up my phone as a hot spot if it isn't necessary. I understand that maps need to be connected with data.
Thanks,
BC

Hey there buddy, I also use an iPad mini for my mavic. No issues whatsoever and I also fly my drone in aeroplane mode. Sometimes I do tether from my phone to update the maps as such but it works beautifully and fuss free :) very glad I moved over to an iPad as now I can see all the functions so clearly!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead