DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to obtain RAW photos in GS Pro and Go 4

jlancaster

Reactions
Hello,

We flew several missions yesterday with our Mavic 2 Pro using DJI GS Pro 2 and Go4 for manual shots. Every time we set the image format to RAW in both apps, it automatically switched back to JPG format the moment the aircraft launched. For grid missions we do use Map Pilot and get RAW images no problem. Yesterday we were collecting data for a building photogrammetry project, so we attempted to use DJI GS Pro 2. I've seen several older posts on the DJI forums about this, but no actual solutions. Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution to it? The JPG photos look fine for this project, however, they are not 'data' that we'll need for future missions.

Thanks

Thanks The Cyborg. We tried that actually, still the exact same behavior as if it was set to RAW only.

How about I reconfigure this question a little. Is anyone out there, besides The Cyborg, able to obtain RAW imagery through the DJI GO or DJI GS Pro apps? All firmware, apps, and ground control station updated fully. Your help is greatly appreciated, as it will help us determine if we need to have a talk with DJI about our system.

Or perhaps, some advice on how to get at least a couple of the 93k members of this forum to reply?

How about I reconfigure this question a little. Is anyone out there, besides The Cyborg, able to obtain RAW imagery through the DJI GO or DJI GS Pro apps? All firmware, apps, and ground control station updated fully. Your help is greatly appreciated, as it will help us determine if we need to have a talk with DJI about our system.
i am lost of what your problem is.
do you say that you power up the model - it is up and running, then you alter in GO4 this screen to 'jpeg+raw', then do a liftoff and it by itself alters into 'jpeg'?
it is not possible, not supposed to be possible.

only thing that i think may be possible - if you start go4 app on device before connecting to the model and alter it there, THEN connect to the model - those settings are ignored as it reads setup from the mavic 2 and updates go4 content. not sure what else to say.

so, if you do not have your own screenshots - from this thread sequence, where exactly does it brake?

Reactions: jlancaster
do you say that you power up the model - it is up and running, then you alter in GO4 this screen to 'jpeg+raw', then do a liftoff and it by itself alters into 'jpeg'?
it is not possible, not supposed to be possible.

Yes that is exactly what it does. Speaking with my colleagues here, we all concur on the events. Aircraft and controller are on, we plan the mission, enable RAW image format. It clearly shows a reasonable capcity for RAW photo storage on a 32 GB card (something around 600 photos). Then, at some point shortly after we get in the air (its hard to tell when exactly when flying), we can see that capacity number increase to the thousands, and the file format has changed back to JPEG. No RAW photos in storage, all JPEG. Happens every time on DJI Go 4 and GS Pro.

Yes that is exactly what it does. Speaking with my colleagues here, we all concur on the events. Aircraft and controller are on, we plan the mission, enable RAW image format. It clearly shows a reasonable capcity for RAW photo storage on a 32 GB card (something around 600 photos). Then, at some point shortly after we get in the air (its hard to tell when exactly when flying), we can see that capacity number increase to the thousands, and the file format has changed back to JPEG. No RAW photos in storage, all JPEG. Happens every time on DJI Go 4 and GS Pro.
is flight 100% manual until the point of the params switch or is it doing any auto points or other actions?
like i said before - i have never had an instance of any parameters to alter they values on their own. if that is happening - you can open a case with dji support, may be they will find something. i cannot think of anything that can make it happen, unless there is a self-induced gimbal reset action in there.

i do not use external device - i use smart controller. with the external devices connected to original controller there is a remote possibility for multiple applications to run in parallel in background doing, well, non-anticipated things. you can try to investigate that.
but, when i run litchi on my controller - it never alters photo settings by itself.

try to do one more test - liftoff, then alter photo params when bird is in the air, then fly to half battery and check if it switched again. if it happens consistently - there is some explanation there, but, like i already repeated 3 times - it is not usual.

is flight 100% manual until the point of the params switch or is it doing any auto points or other actions?
like i said before - i have never had an instance of any parameters to alter they values on their own. if that is happening - you can open a case with dji support, may be they will find something. i cannot think of anything that can make it happen, unless there is a self-induced gimbal reset action in there.

i do not use external device - i use smart controller. with the external devices connected to original controller there is a remote possibility for multiple applications to run in parallel in background doing, well, non-anticipated things. you can try to investigate that.
but, when i run litchi on my controller - it never alters photo settings by itself.

try to do one more test - liftoff, then alter photo params when bird is in the air, then fly to half battery and check if it switched again. if it happens consistently - there is some explanation there, but, like i already repeated 3 times - it is not usual.

Okay thanks for your help and time. Yeah it is 100% manual during takeoff. In some cases we noticed before any auto points were taken, in other cases we noticed after the automated mission had completed or in the middle of the mission. We are using an ipad, so conceivably there are some issues there. I don't have a lot of confidence that DJI will do anything based on the responses I've seen in their forums for older but related issues, but we may need to give it a try. We will do one more test as you suggested and see how it goes.

Okay thanks for your help and time. Yeah it is 100% manual during takeoff. In some cases we noticed before any auto points were taken, in other cases we noticed after the automated mission had completed or in the middle of the mission. We are using an ipad, so conceivably there are some issues there. I don't have a lot of confidence that DJI will do anything based on the responses I've seen in their forums for older but related issues, but we may need to give it a try. We will do one more test as you suggested and see how it goes.
I do seem to remember that in certain automatic flight modes that it only takes jpegs. Not absolutely sure of that though. Are you flying manually or in one of the automatic modes when it switches?

I do seem to remember that in certain automatic flight modes that it only takes jpegs. Not absolutely sure of that though. Are you flying manually or in one of the automatic modes when it switches?
The Spherical Panoramas are either shot in DNG or Jpeg, but not both. You also have the option of keeping the original files. When shooting stills separately, you can select DNG+jpeg. There have been some reported bugs where using automatic modes resets certain custom camera settings.Not sure if those bugs have been squashed, as I don't update anything, ever! Experiment and find workarounds!

Hello all, I use GS Pro with an iPad Air for survey mainly and DJI Go 4 for photo/movie always in Raw.
In my experience in GS Pro there’s no option for Raw/Jpeg (jpeg as default) AND app leaves jpeg option set in Go 4 too, I have to mind it and switch back manually. It fooled me many times.

Well we are not sure when exactly the switch occurs, but we are indeed flying in the automatic flight modes, after a manual launch. Our procedure is to launch manually and check operation and function of the AC prior to launching the automated missions.

The Spherical Panoramas are either shot in DNG or Jpeg, but not both. You also have the option of keeping the original files. When shooting stills separately, you can select DNG+jpeg. There have been some reported bugs where using automatic modes resets certain custom camera settings.Not sure if those bugs have been squashed, as I don't update anything, ever! Experiment and find workarounds!
Interesting, maybe it is something to do with the automatic flight modes. We'll experiment and see what we can find out. Thanks!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hello all, I use GS Pro with an iPad Air for survey mainly and DJI Go 4 for photo/movie always in Raw.
In my experience in GS Pro there’s no option for Raw/Jpeg (jpeg as default) AND app leaves jpeg option set in Go 4 too, I have to mind it and switch back manually. It fooled me many times.
Thank you for this information. In GS Pro there is an option for Raw. It seems like there is a complex reaction between the Go 4 app and GS Pro that we've yet to figure out. I knew there were issues with this, but it seemed like we had it sorted out. It must be something to do with the automatic flight modes. Will report back when we learn more about what's happening.

Yes, GSpro appears to shoot single shots RAW if RAW is selected, but will only shoot in JPEG when running a maping mission. Which is not very good of course, because in mapping you always want to get the benefits of RAW. Hopefully DJI will fix this fault.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan