DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photogrammetry on the Air 3

RetromanIE

Reactions
The camera on the Air 3 is capable of some decent photogrammetry.
The below was done with 306 photos over 2 passes of the cathedral (100m and 70m altitude).

I took the photos manually rather than a waypoint mission, but did use the POI mode to slowly circle the cathedral. Images were batch processed in Photoshop and then brought into 3DF Zephyr.

Very nice work!

How does 3DF Zephyr compare to any other photogrammetry software you may have used? What version of Zephyr is it?

Very nice work!

How does 3DF Zephyr compare to any other photogrammetry software you may have used? What version of Zephyr is it?
I've mainly used Metashape, RealityCapture and 3DF Zepher over the years. I seem to get better results with 3DF Zephyr, but that might be down to me liking the work flow of that better than the others. I use the latest full version, so 7.5xxx something.

Reactions: SethB
So what do you do with the 3D model?

Can you post them in something like Google Earth or some other site which supports 3D content?

Or you just view them in that software which converted the photos to 3D?

So what do you do with the 3D model?

Can you post them in something like Google Earth or some other site which supports 3D content?

Or you just view them in that software which converted the photos to 3D?
You can do all of the above, although I believe submitting to google earth is a pain. At the moment I'm 3D printing a local Castle ruin I scanned recently.

Wow. Brilliant. Reckon the Bishop would like that. Looks very complicated But very spectacular.

You might try dropping the photos into poly.cam to make a Gaussian Splat: Gaussian Splatting 3D Creator & Viewer | Polycam

I’ve been super-impressed by the models it produces.
It looks good when processed into a splat. But from the ones I've done they always look good from the angle and distance they were captured at, but look very blurry/distorted when you get close. Still, awesome tech :)

Reactions: BingBong and Xitor
It looks good when processed into a splat. But from the ones I've done they always look good from the angle and distance they were captured at, but look very blurry/distorted when you get close. Still, awesome tech :)

I just checked out the Gaussian splat and honestly none of the "Featured" renderings there look anywhere near as interesting as yours. You should submit it to the site.

Edit - I just realized there are more samples than just the three at the top of the page, and some of them are awesome too, especially the mountain top with the tunnel you can actually go throw. Still, yours is great.

Last edited:
I just checked out the Gaussian splat and honestly none of the "Featured" renderings there look anywhere near as interesting as yours. You should submit it to the site.

Edit - I just realized there are more samples than just the three at the top of the page, and some of them are awesome too, especially the mountain top with the tunnel you can actually go throw. Still, yours is great.
Hey, thank you!

The camera on the Air 3 is capable of some decent photogrammetry.
The below was done with 306 photos over 2 passes of the cathedral (100m and 70m altitude).

I took the photos manually rather than a waypoint mission, but did use the POI mode to slowly circle the cathedral. Images were batch processed in Photoshop and then brought into 3DF Zephyr.

I'm not sure but this thread MIGHT be helpful for you going forward:

Reactions: Xitor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav