DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photogrammetry

tbw

Reactions
Is the Mavic Mini 3 Pro capable of Photogrammetry and support 3rd party apps for automated data capture for mapping? Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Is the Mavic Mini 3 Pro capable of Photogrammetry and support 3rd party apps for automated data capture for mapping? Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.
My knowledge is limited, but I don't believe there is any software or apps that allow the Mini to do what you're asking.

Now that the SDK for the mini 3 has been released to developers, it won't be long before they add it to their supported drones list....

But... Concerning photogrammetry in general, something to keep your eye on with the mini 3 pro - with still captures for manual pano's and stitched orthomosaics, watch while the buffer clears and you may notice a slight starboard yaw of between 2 to 5 degrees between one shot and the next you are about to take in the sequence, this happens without there being any stick input. A bit of a quirk perhaps, but it could result in misalignment problems.

Last edited:
A bit of a quirk perhaps, but it could result in misalignment problems.
If that's a thing, it won't matter at all for photogrammetry.
One of the first steps in photogrammetry is that the software aligns all the images.
Note the alignment of the images at the end of each long horizontal run in a mapping mission.
T5-XL.jpg

As long as you have good overlapping, the software will deal with image orientation.

Reactions: gypsy1 and basyok
If that's a thing, it won't matter at all for photogrammetry.
One of the first steps in photogrammetry is that the software aligns all the images.
Note the alignment of the images at the end of each long horizontal run in a mapping mission.
T5-XL.jpg

As long as you have good overlapping, the software will deal with image orientation.
It will if it's the gimbal that is twitching to starboard and not the drone on its yaw axis. With the camera 90 degrees down, a gimbal glitch like this will result in the sensor not being parallel to the target which will cause perspective distortion.

It will if it's the gimbal that is twitching to starboard and not the drone on its yaw axis. With the camera 90 degrees down, a gimbal glitch like this will result in the sensor not being parallel to the target which will cause perspective distortion.
Since DroneDeploy can blend verticals and oblique images, I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue.

Reactions: basyok
Dronelink beta is available now for the Mini 3 Pro. It can do photogrammetry and mapping missions, but it doesn't process the images -- you'll need something like WebODM for that. It's more sophisticated than Litchi, and thus has a steeper learning curve, but it's worth it. DroneDeploy actually uses some Dronelink functionality, so I expect the Mini 3 Pro to be supported very soon.

Reactions: gypsy1 and doncooke
I've had excellent results with my Mini-II using DroneLink to plan and run the flight, then WebODM to process the images and create the Ortho. WebODM is open source and sometimes cranky, but you can view a 3D textured model of your flight, and generate a .KMZ file which works in Google Earth Pro.

Yes, any drone that can take pictures is capable of Photogrammetry (actually, anything that can take pictures is capable of Photogrammetry, including cameras, phones, etc.).
Automated data capture depends on apps, but with some practice, you can do excellent photogrammetric surveys with a drone flying it manually.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming