DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot error or crappy drone?

100% pilot error ... that flight have been discussed here at the forum earlier.

Flying out with a too strong wind ...
Draining the battery too low before turning ...
Forced to fighting a headwind on the return path ...
Staying up high in stronger winds than necessary ...
Using Sport mode, speeding up the battery consumption ...

And doing all this over water --> lost drone.

I posted details of the mistakes he made when this video first surfaced here.
The pilot's understanding and abilities were not matched by his massive (unjustified) self-confidence.

You can see my explanation here and a couple of the following posts:

Reactions: Howard70 and AZDave
Couldn't think of a worse scenario, flying back to land against the wind with battery dropping like a brick, that far out & Sports Mode is going to chew up that power in no time at all & & it did RIP Air 2S

Couldn't think of a worse scenario, flying back to land against the wind with battery dropping like a brick, that far out & Sports Mode is going to chew up that power in no time at all & & it did RIP Air 2S
But he wasn't flying back to land.
He was flying back to home, directly into the wind after failing to read the wind direction and unnecessarily putting the drone far downwind in the very mistaken belief that would somehow make the flight easier.

Reactions: AZDave and GFields
As with all my drones, I do a quick 30 second reverse flight, back to my home point, especially on windy days. This way, when I see a 5 or 10mph speed drop when flying toward the home point, I know I will likely need more than 60% battery when I decide to return home. If it's a 5mph drop I go home at 60%, a 10 mph drop I go home at 65-68% batt. If a reverse test flight speed drops by 15mph to home I turn around at 75% batt. These numbers are just a general rule of thumb for me. The M3 is a different story. I haven't owned it long enough to know it's "go home" numbers quite yet. I'm still getting home with over 30% battery left. I certainly can't complain about that.

Pilot error indeed! However, I am sorry for your friend's loss.

Definitely pilot error..,
Quit whining dude U blew it…
No free replacement for pilot error..
I have seen some of this guys other youtube clips ,so i am not too surprised this happened to him.
100% pilot error,but he has to turn it into a story.I fly over water a lot.
But I try to use common sense with wind direction and battery conditions.
Just common sense stuff.
Have a good one.

As with all my drones, I do a quick 30 second reverse flight, back to my home point, especially on windy days. This way, when I see a 5 or 10mph speed drop when flying toward the home point, I know I will likely need more than 60% battery when I decide to return home. If it's a 5mph drop I go home at 60%, a 10 mph drop I go home at 65-68% batt. If a reverse test flight speed drops by 15mph to home I turn around at 75% batt. These numbers are just a general rule of thumb for me. The M3 is a different story. I haven't owned it long enough to know it's "go home" numbers quite yet. I'm still getting home with over 30% battery left. I certainly can't complain about that.
Wow.the battery life on your M3 sounds great.
Speaking of wind In a little while i am going to take my Air2 out in the
back yard just for a short flight to make sure the new fly app 1.5.4 works
ok for me without any issues. South winds gusting to around 25 right now.
That's why I am keeping the flight short and close by.
Have a good day.

Reactions: Loonie01
Have to agree with the consensus, 100% pilot error (poor decision making). Not a good feeling I’m sure, but completely avoidable.

100% pilot error ... that flight have been discussed here at the forum earlier.

Flying out with a too strong wind ...
Draining the battery too low before turning ...
Forced to fighting a headwind on the return path ...
Staying up high in stronger winds than necessary ...
Using Sport mode, speeding up the battery consumption ...

And doing all this over water --> lost drone.
This guy did everything wrong.

So...you give us a choice...Pilot error?...or crappy drone...I am not a fan of DJI ...but I can say that nothing in their current lineup is a crappy drone ( maybe the 3?)...but the Air 2S?....so the conclusion is...Pilot Error

You learned many things with this loss the hard way. I am sorry for That. There were too many pilot errors here. Still puzzled by the flying time changes. That must have been when it felt headwind and reduced speed. Why did you not fly in a straight line to land once in trouble instead of RTH ?

How he could have saved it:
1. Get lower - less wind
2. Head for the nearest land

Looking at the wave action on the water, (I'm a sailor), the winds at the surface don't appear to be especially strong. Descending to 20 or 30 ft would have probably made a huge difference.

He could have also headed off to the drone's right / pilot's left and made a beeline for the shore. He then wouldn't be flying directly into the wind. Once he was at the shore he could land and go retrieve the drone or possibly even fly it back to the takeoff point since the landmass would provide some protection from the wind.

Please could you just clarify one thing? Advise is repeatedly given NOT to use sport mode as it consumes battery faster. My understanding is that the rates increase in sport mode, and the drone can achieve a greater angle of attack. Both of these are beneficial when fighting strong winds, and if the pilot remains within the angles of P mode, battery use should also remain within the parameters of P mode. What am i not understanding?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock