DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot safety aspect of Remote ID?

Yes, using an aeroscope to track drones may violate state and federal wiretapping laws according to four federal agencies., the DOJ. DOT, FCC and DHS.

Check it out:

Advisory on the Application of Federal Laws to the Acquisition and Use of Technology to Detect
and Mitigate Unmanned Aircraft Systems

August 2020

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...ory-uas-detection-mitigation-technologies.pdf
I took a quick scan, but I have way too little caffeine in my system to try to wade through government-ese at the moment!

I sent it to my think tank, which has a few lawyers in it.

This strikes me as one of the dumbest reasons for doing something Evil that I've seen in quite a while. However, if this really is the motivation for the Snitch Clause, it may point to a way to get rid of it.

Thx.

I started digging into Remote ID rules again as well as upcoming dates and deadlines as I wanted to buy an Air 2S or Mavic 3. Currently all pilots need to comply with Remote ID standards by September 16, 2023. Meaning about 15 months from now.

Even if DJI's recent drones are compatible via software update, does it bother anyone else that this will be public, unencrypted data that can be read (supposedly) by any smartphone and not limited to LE only? I don't care if my drone gets a digital license plate, but there's a HUGE safety risk when anyone with a phone can pinpoint the pilot of a $300-$5000+ drone.

I understand that there are still lawsuits out there fighting this, but it's really holding me back personally from anything bigger despite how much I'd like to have it. What do you guys think?

(Before) Carjacking was a thing but hard to hide a car you just stole, and harder to fence it. Just a joyride then burn it often.

Dronejacking seems a quicker way to make a quick buck fencing stolen drones. Easy to peel the labels, and keep or resell it. Hmmm which is the more pressing 911 call now for a LEO?
Since the abysmal rate of returned jacked cars has had a few decades to prove how well that all worked out for the victims.

(Before) Carjacking was a thing but hard to hide a car you just stole, and harder to fence it. Just a joyride then burn it often.

Dronejacking seems a quicker way to make a quick buck fencing stolen drones. Easy to peel the labels, and keep or resell it. Hmmm which is the more pressing 911 call now for a LEO?
Since the abysmal rate of returned jacked cars has had a few decades to prove how well that all worked out for the victims.
Hard to hide a stolen drone with remote ID too.
There have been gadgets available to the public since around 2015 that would enable a person to take over the control of any drone within range, and fully control it.
I think "Sky Jack" was one of those gadgets people were afraid of losing their drones to a few years ago. I think it was around 2016-17 that there seemed to be quite a few articles about the fear of drone jacking. Yet I've never heard of anyone having their drone jacked?
I'm hoping the the threat of Remote ID will prove just as benign, but time will tell I guess.

I'm definitely with you on this one!

I'm happy to have the FAA and law enforcement get access to my location data during a flight, but J Random Citizen? Very bad idea.

Perhaps in the next Congress there will be more of an opportunity to correct this glaring defect.

Other than that, I think RID is a good idea, and it may break loose additional BVLOS options.

But the snitch feature has got to go.

No one should be able to find my takeoff location ,and that means everyone period.
When I am flying on my own property,this is a complete invasion of privacy.
I know this sounds like whining,and it is for good reason.
So I have to not agree with you on this,RID is a rotten idea,as they will find out
that implementing this goofy idea will not change a thing in the end.The individuals
that did not help the cause will continue to not fly legally and ignore RID.
Here is one idea,implement RID in heavy populated states ,where most of the issues
that created this mess started from.
And leave the rest of us alone.But wait what am I saying this would make sense.

Hard to hide a stolen drone with remote ID too.
There have been gadgets available to the public since around 2015 that would enable a person to take over the control of any drone within range, and fully control it.
I think "Sky Jack" was one of those gadgets people were afraid of losing their drones to a few years ago. I think it was around 2016-17 that there seemed to be quite a few articles about the fear of drone jacking. Yet I've never heard of anyone having their drone jacked?
I'm hoping the the threat of Remote ID will prove just as benign, but time will tell I guess.
A universal remote ID add-on shouldn't be able to control the quad. It barely even knows where it is and snitches (broadcasts it).

Skyjack seems to have been limited to ar parrot quads which were already programmer friendly. Hijacking a dji would require their sdk.

A universal remote ID add-on shouldn't be able to control the quad. It barely even knows where it is and snitches (broadcasts it).

Skyjack seems to have been limited to ar parrot quads which were already programmer friendly. Hijacking a dji would require their sdk.
I think the fear with remote ID is not a person gaining control of the drone in the sky, but the ne'er-do-well finding the PIC and forefully taking the remote from them and commandeering the drone.
I believe there are ways to hack DJI however, since they release FW updates with security patches to avoid hacking.
And I recall reading an article months ago about how some University students in the midwest had discovered a way of controlling DJI drones using lights. Let me see if I can find it.

I think the fear with remote ID is not a person gaining control of the drone in the sky, but the ne'er-do-well finding the PIC and forefully taking the remote from them and commandeering the drone.
I believe there are ways to hack DJI however, since they release FW updates with security patches to avoid hacking.
And I recall reading an article months ago about how some University students in the midwest had discovered a way of controlling DJI drones using lights. Let me see if I can find it.
So the light trick uses obstacle avoidance to make the drone change path/direction. Sounds like it is more trouble than it would be worth:

So the light trick uses obstacle avoidance to make the drone change path/direction. Sounds like it is more trouble than it would be worth:
I figured the vision sensors/obstacle avoidance was probably the only thing that they could use and not that great at that. It can only control it so much.

They can still come up to you without the remote ID. And they spew whatever the fake news told them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3