DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilots and UAV Rules

N2084V

Reactions
A pilot friend asked me to demo my drone at the airport where we both have airplanes and hangers. I have my FAA part 107 licenses as well as a PPL. I asked the airport owner if I could do short flight in front of my hanger which is near a closed grass runway. The owner said no problem and said he might want to see it too. While flying the drone, another pilot came over and said that what we were doing was not legal. He had never operated a drone before. After I calmly explained the rules, he left. A few minutes later he came back and said that he looked up the rules for flying near an airport and we were ok. He did not apologize for his attitude. The moral of the story is that we Drone pilots must know the rules and be able to educate pilots when operatizing near an airport.

Totally agree. We need to do it in a pleasant non-threatening way if possible. I have tried it both ways. Matching thier tone and demeanor and also presenting a calm and approachable facade.

Using the calm approach I have converted some people who have approached me ranting and raving about the legalities and what I was doing when flying my Mavic. Others I have not been as successful with. I find that some people are just "looking" for something to complain about and be angry about.

A flying thing in the sky often catches thier interest.

I never had a hobby other than flying my drones. It brings me great pleasure doing so, even when I am watching videos or reading you fellow friends here.
But I couldn't stand so much hate from the ignorants ... I am always nervous when I am in a new location, always thinking some one will come up and start barking at me, almost to the point that my fun is taking away from me.
I know there are lots of stupid pilots out there, as much are bad drivers etc.
This is the reason I tried to form a group of people and all get together and explore places and socialize and at the same time protect ourselves as a group if the "enemy" gets closer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78