DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please recommend a recent YT vid on using Aloft and getting LAANC/geo zone unlocking

twickers14

Reactions
I have checked out what I can see on the subject and most of the videos are over a year old. Anything more recent that you could recommend? I have a MA2 all RIDd and ready to go.

Using Aloft on a desktop is a little different than using it on a mobile device. But it's a bit harder to use on the desktop in my opinion.

Is Aloft now Air Control ? I've flown for 2 years now in open areas and never used a LAANC for a flight.

Is Aloft now Air Control ? I've flown for 2 years now in open areas and never used a LAANC for a flight.
Yes Aloft is now Air Control. This works very well as I fly inside the Long Beach Airport control area. Almost instantaneous clearance.

Yes Aloft is now Air Control. This works very well as I fly inside the Long Beach Airport control area. Almost instantaneous clearance.
Thank you...soon I'm going to try and use Air Control and fly a small flight in a urban area.

It's "Air Aware", isn't it?

Thank you...soon I'm going to try and use Air Control and fly a small flight in an urban area.
You can pick a spot for a future flight and practice getting a clearance from your living room. You don’t have to go there! When you start the app it assumes your current location. You can shrink the map and go wherever you plan to fly and set the pin there. Then go ahead and mark your desired area and the app will tell what altitude is permitted. Set the altitude then Go ahead and pick a time window and “file”. You will get a quick response and an alert on any issues. Accept that file and you will be approved. If approved a long message will be sent to your phone or email. That is your clearance. It is important to READ and UNDERSTAND the clearance. Altitude limitations are absolute AGL limitations and do not vary for taller obstacles like buildings and towers. A test clearance will allow you to experience and understand the FAA’s expectations and contact availability you must maintain. It’s really quite straightforward but give it a try in your living room.

You can pick a spot for a future flight and practice getting a clearance from your living room. You don’t have to go there! When you start the app it assumes your current location. You can shrink the map and go wherever you plan to fly and set the pin there. Then go ahead and mark your desired area and the app will tell what altitude is permitted. Set the altitude then Go ahead and pick a time window and “file”. You will get a quick response and an alert on any issues. Accept that file and you will be approved. If approved a long message will be sent to your phone or email. That is your clearance. It is important to READ and UNDERSTAND the clearance. Altitude limitations are absolute AGL limitations and do not vary for taller obstacles like buildings and towers. A test clearance will allow you to experience and understand the FAA’s expectations and contact availability you must maintain. It’s really quite straightforward but give it a try in your living room.
Many thanks to you for the explanation on using the app !
Another thing...when I get there will DJI let me fly ? I've read it happens that you get clearance but DJI still won't let you fly.

I’ve never had an obstruction from DJI in a LAANC area. Recognize there may be marked prohibited areas like power plants , prisons, or military facilities that DJI may have in their no.fly database. I have not encountered those.
When get LAANC it will alert you possible facilities near your clearance area and the distance from your assigned area.

I’ve never had an obstruction from DJI in a LAANC area. Recognize there may be marked prohibited areas like power plants , prisons, or military facilities that DJI may have in their no.fly database. I have not encountered those.
When get LAANC it will alert you possible facilities near your clearance area and the distance from your assigned area.
👍...I don't know when I'll get a opportunity to get it done, but I'll let you know how it goes !

Just so I’m clear, without any travel and in 15 minutes you can test the system today and obtain a clearance for today or Tuesday or whenever and thus learn the system and study the clearance document. You do not have to show up and use the clearance -ever.

Just so I’m clear, without any travel and in 15 minutes you can test the system today and obtain a clearance for today or Tuesday or whenever and thus learn the system and study the clearance document. You do not have to show up and use the clearance -ever.
Agreed with this, the purpose of LAANC is to get automatic (quick) authorization in controlled airspace but you absolutely don't have to launch a drone just because you get approved. With the Air Control app, you can let the authorization expire or you can go in and cancel it should you change your mind.

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Agreed with this, the purpose of LAANC is to get automatic (quick) authorization in controlled airspace but you absolutely don't have to launch a drone just because you get approved. With the Air Control app, you can let the authorization expire or you can go in and cancel it should you change your mind.
Thank you

Reactions: sarahb
Done and approved...I did have to go to IACRA and update my information. Once I did that within 2 minutes I received my LAANC approval...thank you again...now in 3 hours I'll be ready to fly the Mavic in my selected area near St. Cloud Airport.

Reactions: DougMcC
Looking forward to my flights in Naples FL in Controlled Airspace. I think I have to take another step after gaining LAANC-with DJI geo zone? I have done it once in a past visit and I got there but it was not easy. Is it pretty straight forward?

@MavicFlyer2 - If DJI has the area geofenced (and they likely will if it's controlled airspace) you will not be able to take off unless you have unlocked the area via DJI's unlock process. As I recall, you have to be in a WiFi environment to do that, to get the unlock license onto the mobile device. Here's what DJI shows with regard to St. Cloud Regional Airport. The color where you'll be flying determines whether you'll need to have DJI unlock the zone or not. I'm not sure how DougMcC has never had to unlock controlled airspace (which is where LAANC is used). I had to get custom unlocking (they'll give you up to a year) to fly in my area near SUA (Stuart, FL).
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 1.25.11 PM.png

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661