DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro ND Filters too heavy for gimbal

Piros

Reactions
Just put on my new Polar Pro ND filter and the gimbal came up with error , it appears the gimbal won't function with the extra weight. Anyone else had this problem my friend has the same issue , on his Mavic and the Polar Pro ND.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
messing with a powered up gimbal? messes with the motors doesnt it? to me if it can't power up with it then yeah, it's too heavy

I would agree with this, it feels like such a fragile thing.. The TACO filters don't mess with the initialisation but even putting them on with no power to the gimbal feels like you could damage it, I'd hate to do it with power to it..

Reactions: Kilrah and Jixxer
Still a design flaw
They are offering a discounted upgrade to the "Cinema" series that release in a few weeks. Those won't have that problem. Sucks that these do because taking on and off is inconvenient.

Used some of Polarpro's products in the past and all worked very well but absolutely not happy with the filters for the Mavic Pro because of the issues mentioned by other members above.

I received the 3 pack last week. Haven't had time to try them. This sounds bad. I absolutely do not want to add this to my pre-flight procedure. How do I go about exchanging for the Cinema series. I never would have bought these had I known.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: lifeismusic
I ordered and received the Taco RC set, can confirm they do not interfere with boot up, fit snugly and I had a chance to fly with them, everything worked fine.

Reactions: 3VP
The instructions clearly state in bold capitals to fit after calibration. So it's weird people are surprised when you obtain an error by doing it incorrectly. And you would be fitting the appropriate filter for each new flight anyway as you don't just leave one on indefinitely and hope it turns out okay. You fit one according to the light on each shot. Putting one on whilst the gimbal is powered will not harm it as long as you do not faff around. It's not the same as stopping a large powerful motor from spinning at high rpm. It's extremely low current and if you do it without taking all day there is no time for heat to build up to cause a problem.

I too will wait for the "Cinema" version. The gimbal on the mavic is fragile enough without added bulk or screwing with it when it has power.

The instructions clearly state in bold capitals to fit after calibration. So it's weird people are surprised when you obtain an error by doing it incorrectly. And you would be fitting the appropriate filter for each new flight anyway as you don't just leave one on indefinitely and hope it turns out okay. You fit one according to the light on each shot. Putting one on whilst the gimbal is powered will not harm it as long as you do not faff around. It's not the same as stopping a large powerful motor from spinning at high rpm. It's extremely low current and if you do it without taking all day there is no time for heat to build up to cause a problem.

I think the issue here is that they never stated this prior to shipping them even if it does say so in the instructions, information like this should have be disclosed to the buyers with the item description imho. It is not just that issue though. The filters catch the gimbal mechanism, I have seen several instances when r/f or electrical interference has caused the gimbal to re-initialize in flight, this would then cause it to get caught and put additional stress on the motors. The gimbal is pretty fragile, I would not want to put any additional stress on it (the gimbal motors) by fitting the filters after power up. Why try to create problems for yourself when you don't need to :)

I think the issue here is that they never stated this prior to shipping them even if it does say so in the instructions, information like this should have be disclosed to the buyers with the item description imho. It is not just that issue though. The filters catch the gimbal mechanism, I have seen several instances when r/f or electrical interference has caused the gimbal to re-initialize in flight, this would then cause it to get caught and put additional stress on the motors. The gimbal is pretty fragile, I would not want to put any additional stress on it (the gimbal motors) by fitting the filters after power up. Why try to create problems for yourself when you don't need to :)

Exactly as you say, I am using them.

Ignore comments from members who did no try the filters themselfes

Reactions: Piros
Here's what Polar Pro sent back to me , confirming what was said above fit filter after powering up and gimbal has calibrated. It works but not entirely happy would have much preferred to have the option to purchase the Cinematic filters.

Last edited:

Keep in mind that changing batteries while at the same light conditions requires power off, filter uninstall, battery change, power on, filter reinstall them continue.

And it's a bit unsettling to put a filter on a powered on gimbal. Video is great from my PP set but I will be upgrading when available.

Reactions: Nikos and Piros
Thanks Chase didn't think about changing batteries good point. Another chance to place a finger print on the ND.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka