DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro- Filter Calculator App

Did you try it in real time outdoors? In some situations if your shutter is lower than 1/60th you will not need a filter.
The Saved filter would be used for if you are out in the field and you want to save a filter you dont have for later reference.
But feedback well received on that being confusing. Thank you very much for the help,
-Jeff

Ah, now i understand how it works... ;-)

I think I understand how to use this app. I've read this thread. I think a few people are confused about "what filter to start with." I think it would be best to start with selecting "none" on the app. Just insert what FPS you have for your record settings and select the current camera ISO and shutter speed when your camera is powered up and pointed in the general direction you wish to film. Tap the "calculate" button and it will tell you what filter to install to get a shutter speed that is double what you entered as your FPS record setting.

What I'm trying to figure out is... can I leave my camera on auto? Let's say I'm recording at 30fps. Then, I want a shutter speed of 1/60. If I leave it in auto, is the camera "smart" enough to automatically choose the shutter speed of 1/60 and auto change the ISO to whatever it needs to be to maintain the SS of 1/60. If so, why do some people insist on manual mode.

It's actually pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Just get all the info displayed by the DJI GO4 app (as the Mavic 'reads' the environment when it's on and connected), and put that info in the Polar Pro app. ISO, Shutter and FPS. And, IF you already have a filter placed on the camera, put that in as well. If there's no filter on it, leave it to none.

Press Calculate
That's all folks.

This app looks great but I have an issue with it. Basically, even if I tell it that I own the whole set of PL filters (ie they're all checked in the relevant panel), I won't be able to see and select them in the "Filters Installed" field.

Telling the app that I own the regular, non-PL filters results in it displaying those properly.

Checking the "I own all of them" results in the app displaying once again all the non-PL filters.

This app looks great but I have an issue with it. Basically, even if I tell it that I own the whole set of PL filters (ie they're all checked in the relevant panel), I won't be able to see and select them in the "Filters Installed" field.

Telling the app that I own the regular, non-PL filters results in it displaying those properly.

Checking the "I own all of them" results in the app displaying once again all the non-PL filters.

Hi Tiax,

Thank you for bringing that to our attention. I have informed our development team of what you encountered. They are constantly updating the app to ensure the information in it is accurate, so the absence of the polarizer filters may be a part of some maintenance they are performing. Another update to the app is in the works, so please keep an eye out, and if you have any other feedback don't hesitate to let us know.

- Oliver from PolarPro

It's so cool of PolarPro to serve up a handy, free app and watching how the firm has listened to user feedback over the course of this thread. Turns out there's a high-risk Kp event three days from this post warning of significant disturbances in Earth's magnetic field impacting quadcopters. Good to know. Available for Android and iOS at Apple's App Store and Google Play. Thanks, PolarPro.

Why do you actually need this app if using Android? Wouldn't it be simple to just have a piece of paper with the required filters written down? Assuming what I see on youtube by experts is right, then one should always aim for ISO 100, fps 25 in the UK (maybe 30 in the US). Then it's just a case of using the app once (and once only), enter the various current shutter speeds to get the results and write then down on a very small piece of paper. As there is so little functionality in the Android app, nothing will ever need to be re-calculated as far as I see?

Current shutter speed (it only gives you a few in the dropdown list anyway): -
up to 1/100: no filter
1/100 -> 1/199: CP Polarizing filter (whatever that is)
1/200 -> 1/399: ND4
1/400 -> 1/799: ND8
1/800 -> 1/1599: ND16
1/1600 -> 1/3199: ND32
1/3200 upwards: ND64

In fact, looking at what I wrote above, it's even simpler. Up to to 200, no filter. Then up to 400, ND4, upto 800 ND8, upto 1600 ND16...... (see a pattern there)?

Am I missing something, or is it not just that simple; I can write that down and keep it in the bag with my drone.? Only thing I can see it is then useful for, is if you want to change the fps or ISO - as a novice, I probably never would.

Other comments are:
My Mavic Air can go up to 120fs (for slow motion), but the app only offers 24 or 30.
Shutter speeds to enter are quite limited. Having said that, I'm a novice and not got out of auto mode yet, so maybe in manual there are only those options anyway.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman