DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro Flight Deck vs. Mavmount 3.0?

davemgood

Reactions
For my 7.85 CrystalSky and Mavic 2 Pro, I'm down to the PolarPro Flight Deck or the Mavmount 3.0.

Before I pull the trigger on buying one or the other, I would like to hear the final word from you good people who are experienced with either of these two mounts. They both look good! Any thoughts?

Dave :)

I use the mavmount 3.0 also and very satisfied. The tablet adapter has 2 mounting points that give the pilot tablet mounting options. I use a 10.5 ipad and mounted in a way where all I see Is the Ipad screen when flying. Antennas are at 90 degree angle.

I also have a Mavmount 3.0 for my iPad air2 and love it. The build feels really sturdy and looks and feels really nice. Have not had any issues with it loosening it’s grip or my tablet creeping. You will be very happy with it. I know I am.

Reactions: HVYMTL
For my 7.85 CrystalSky and Mavic 2 Pro, I'm down to the PolarPro Flight Deck or the Mavmount 3.0.

Before I pull the trigger on buying one or the other, I would like to hear the final word from you good people who are experienced with either of these two mounts. They both look good! Any thoughts? tey out this mod...

Dave :)

IMG_4203.JPG

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
just get the LifThor SIF CS II.

he MM doesn't have a QD and the lanyard mount fouls the USB-C socket. if AerialWest comes up with something it will be a winner, but for the meantime that's how it is.
the PolarPro Flightdeck isn't as stable in the RC arms as the MM (no forward lip), and the lanyard mount is in totally the wrong position to balance the weight. the QD is very tight but at least it's there.
the old PolarPro mount + DJI mount hack is expensive and you end up with a fixed cable, if you damage that you're stuffed. you have to replace the entire mount. plus you need tools to put a second bolt in. and it still has the same stability issue as the Flightdeck due to no lip.
the DJI below-the-RC idea just sucks all around.

the LifThor would benefit from a wider baseplate, the one on the MM is the perfect width. the ballhead is not as good as the MM's either, you need to crank it down way too hard. it doesn't have a QD, but with some aftermarket thumbscrews it's acceptable. what it does have is a lanyard loop that's in the right place!

I wonder if it's possible to adapt the QD head off the Flightdeck to work on the Mavount.... have to think about that for a bit.

the immediate challenge is that there's not much meat in the bottom of the QD receiver. it relies on keying onto a rectangular block on the next part of the base so the screw just supplies clamping pressure, not location. it would be possible to cut the stud off the Mavmount ballhead and drill and tap it to receive the screw, but that's a lot of mass on that one little screw. I wonder if the top of the ballhead shank could be filed to fit...

Last edited:
Dave,

Which one did you settle on? How did you finally decide which way to go? How do you like it?

Thx Jeff
I bought the PolarPro Flight Deck. Sadly for me it was a little unwieldy to comfortably use. I would guess that the Mavmount would be also. I did use the FREE tablet holder that came with it. I placed it on my tripod (typical 1/4" tripod mounting) and wedged the CrystalSky (7.85) into it. The bottom of the tablet mount was holding the CrystalSky, but the top of the tablet mount could not grip the top of the CrystalSky because the battery was in the way, but did grip the CrystalSky battery on the back. It was enough to hold the CrystalSky securely.

My assessment: I found that I like the CrystalSky mounted on the tripod best. The Flight Deck may work for others, but not me - at least for now. I won't send it back, because I may use it in the future.

Last edited:
I bought the PolarPro Flight Deck. Sadly for me it was a little unwieldy to comfortably use. I would guess that the Mavmount would be also. I did use the FREE tablet holder that came with it. I placed it on my tripod (typical 1/4" tripod mounting) and wedged the CrystalSky (7.85) into it. The bottom of the tablet mount was holding the CrystalSky, but the top of the tablet mount could not grip the top of the CrystalSky because the battery was in the way, but did grip the CrystalSky battery on the back. It was enough to hold the CrystalSky securely.

My assessment: I found that I like the CrystalSky mounted on the tripod best. The Flight Deck may work for others, but not me - at least for now. I won't send it back, because I may use it in the future.

Dave,

Many thx for your reply. It really has me thinking. I was really leaning toward the Flight Deck also. It really has most everything I’m looking for with the quick release and both mounts included. The reports of the base plate not being as good as the MM and the misplaced lanyard hook up make me think. I actually think the mod with the MM base plate and the dji quick release maybe the best of all worlds.

The unwieldy comment really shook me lol. I’m not so sure of anything now. I hate the thought of buying all these parts and finding I don’t like it after all. I need to check my OCD and stop reading all these forums....over analyzing lol.

Thx again.

the quality of the FD is good but it's badly let down by the less-than-awesome fitment of the baseplate - the MM's is perfect in that regard. the QD is better than not having one but fiddly.

the DJI mount hack is OK but you'll cry when you damage that nonreplaceable cable, and the lanyard attachment point is too far back for good balance.

unbelievable it's so hard to get a decent solution. I have a hybrid setup in the works but it will require some aftermarket parts, and possibly a small machined part.

Reactions: Cpt.Barbossa1072
Love my Mavmount 3.0 use it with my iPad mini ordered the clamp for the otter box and have absolutely zero issues which also included the lanyard attached and no usb issues
I use it as is out of the box no need for modding it and my friend as the same one with his 9.75 iPad and again no issues the stability is great

the quality of the FD is good but it's badly let down by the less-than-awesome fitment of the baseplate - the MM's is perfect in that regard. the QD is better than not having one but fiddly.

the DJI mount hack is OK but you'll cry when you damage that nonreplaceable cable, and the lanyard attachment point is too far back for good balance.

unbelievable it's so hard to get a decent solution. I have a hybrid setup in the works but it will require some aftermarket parts, and possibly a small machined part.

The cable is replaceable by taking out 4 small screws on the bottom,uses a (4in." USBC cable,) remove the top portion of the bracket ,replace it with 4inch-USBC, port it thru hole, screw down the 4screws and that's it simple as that....View attachment 60076View attachment 60077

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
interesting.... can you repost the photos? the links didn't work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803