DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police and 107

WARRIK

Reactions
I recently saw a Facebook post about our local police department and the new drone crew...They have some nice equipment which I am told just sits around because no is really trained on it...They pretty much answered each question sent their way on Facebook except when asked "How many of you guys have your 107?" No response to that one ever...What is their requirement? I would think they should be as certified as any other commercial UAS pilot...Just curious.

there would at least need to one one Remote PIC that has their 107 to oversee a CRM team. The person flying the drone doesn't necessarily need to have their 107 (although they should) just the Remote PIC needs one that is overseeing the crew and is ultimately responsible for everyones actions

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
A Govt Agency can opt to not have Part 107 and get an Agency COA but it's more work intially. Most departments/agencies will establish Part 107 as the Minimum and then go the Agency COA (which allows them to self test and self certify but they have to create and submit their program to get approval in the COA process).

there would at least need to one one Remote PIC that has their 107 to oversee a CRM team. The person flying the drone doesn't necessarily need to have their 107 (although they should) just the Remote PIC needs one that is overseeing the crew and is ultimately responsible for everyones actions

Not true. See my post above.

A Govt Agency can opt to not have Part 107 and get an Agency COA but it's more work intially. Most departments/agencies will establish Part 107 as the Minimum and then go the Agency COA (which allows them to self test and self certify but they have to create and submit their program to get approval in the COA process).

Did not know this, thanks for the information! Sounds like they need one or the other but can't get away without either

Reactions: BigAl07
Did not know this, thanks for the information! Sounds like they need one or the other but can't get away without either

Thumbswayup
It happens. We've been beaten to death with everything "Part 107" and lots of people have no idea of other options but in the Emergency Services/Law Enforcement world the other options are fairly well know and getting better known all the time.

In the US (FAA) there are basically 3 non-Military options for flying sUAS

Everyone is by default a Civil Operator. This is Part 107. If you're not flying under Part 107 you must fit completely into one of the 2 options:

1) Hobby/Recreational (not valid for this topic)
2) Public Use COA

If you do not fit completely within 1 or 2 then you are, by default, operating under Part 107 and legally bound by those rules and regulations.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60