DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police showed up my house within 15 minutes of flight today

Thanks, after thinking about it I don't see the danger in sharing this video even if someone posted my home address. However, I see no reason in respecting someones privacy and nobody wants their address published on the internet.

I would rather you guys learn just how easy it is for you to have law enforcement at your house. 15 minutes is all it took as that was my first flight and I had not flown for days.

If you fly over the wrong area, say a school, will the counter terrorism unit be at your home? Possibly. This is really no joke.

DJI has made far to easy for law enforcement to know where you are.

Reactions: Stacy
i find it quite ironic,that people come on this forum because they purchased a DJI product ,and then go to great lengths to complain about their products,
DJI is merely responding to the amount of new laws that are coming our way and with regards to remote id they have a system already in place to accomplish this ,without the expense of buying a new drone or having to have an internet connection to me the OP for whatever reason ,flew illegally got caught and is trying to justify the resulting actions as unfair because of DJI

DJI has made far to easy for law enforcement to know where you are.

Check out the NPRM on Remote ID... it's not going to get any better and it's not a DJI only thing. You're broadcasting all that information willy-nilly.

Remote ID is going to allow Law Enforcement/Public Safety Officers (hopefully it is ONLY released to them) to know your aircraft information and your location via an App.

I really feel that home made drones which don't have remote ID are going to become popular. Why fly something which broadcasts all that information.

If I flew a self built drone, there is no way they would be at my house or able to locate me.

Flying right now is like dropping your drivers license wherever you are.

Fly near a school, government building, or a neighbors house, they will be at your door instantly. This is not cool.

I really feel that home made drones which don't have remote ID are going to become popular. Why fly something which broadcasts all that information.

If I flew a self built drone, there is no way they would be at my house or able to locate me.

Fly near a school, government building, or a neighbors house, they will be at your door instantly. This is not cool.

Unless something changes I believe home-built will also be required to have some degree or Remote ID. We don't really know yet because nothing is finalized and the next NPRM could be 180deg different than the first one.

And it's important to note that even HOME BUILT are going to be using the same signals and freq as consumer aircraft unless you come up with something new and proprietary. The DATA/Telemetry might be less/different but you're still sending signals from your Base Station (Tx in your hand) to the Aircraft (Rx in the aircraft) and that signal is a big portion as to why you're so easily located.

AEROSCOPE is so popular because it decodes the signal to give the user your information (Drone name/type, serial #, possibly Reg information etc). Your control signal is still going to pin-point your location.

in your last line of your post,fly near a school,government building,or a neighbors house, has just summed up why all these new laws are coming our way that and the negative media coverage has just driven more and more nails into our pastimes coffin it has nothing to do with being cool ,unfortunately your actions just reinforce the anti drone brigades reasons for stopping us flying

Selling the AeroScope?

Ah - money in it for DJI - I thought he meant LE.

The revenue from Aeroscope is going to be in the noise compared to the revenue from aircraft sales. The driving force behind the development and sale of Aeroscope is obviously to keep the industry alive by proactively getting ahead of regulation, not to damage it.

My bad, if they've giving things like Aeroscope away then I'm way off base.

I thought you were referring to LE - my mistake. DJI are not giving it away but I'm sure that the development costs far exceeded the sales revenue. Aeroscope isn't a money maker - it's an attempt to stay ahead of regulation.

Reactions: old man mavic
i purchased my first DJI drone because there was nothing out there to match it at the price point i was prepared to pay, if the thread had been about a well known problem,with a particular model,then of course finding out about it on the forum, helps others from experiencing such an issue
trying to blame DJI for something out of their control ,which they have tried find solutions to, is not going to change anything,it's called passing the buck

Reactions: jagraphics
There is money to be made by just about everyone up and down the food chain of remote ID technology, from the legislators promoting the technology to the manufacturers of the technology to those selling it to those that have money in their budget to buy it to those charged with enforcing the new regulations.

There is money to be made in hyping a problem and then getting paid to create a solution.

Unless something changes I believe home-built will also be required to have some degree or Remote ID. We don't really know yet because nothing is finalized and the next NPRM could be 180deg different than the first one.

And it's important to note that even HOME BUILT are going to be using the same signals and freq as consumer aircraft unless you come up with something new and proprietary. The DATA/Telemetry might be less/different but you're still sending signals from your Base Station (Tx in your hand) to the Aircraft (Rx in the aircraft) and that signal is a big portion as to why you're so easily located.

AEROSCOPE is so popular because it decodes the signal to give the user your information (Drone name/type, serial #, possibly Reg information etc). Your control signal is still going to pin-point your location.

Yes but with the current laws, if I had built my own drone they would not be able to so easily use Aeroscope and would have to triangulate my location.

This would make it so difficult that they probably wouldn't be able to just come to my door in 15 minutes like they had done and catch me with my pants down. They would not have come to my house hours before the parade when nobody was even lined up. They would have maybe tried to triangulate my signal if I was flying above the parade and flying close to people.

There is no law right now so why fly with something which basically has your name on the signal.

I surely wouldn't be buying anything which is so easily traceable if I was in the market to just fly around my house. Granted, if you are being 100% legal and know all the rules and such, then buy DJI. If you are someplace which has a million rules then why fly a DJI.

Look, I'm not going to be doing stupid stuff with a drone, but where I live Its total illegal to fly anywhere except a few spots. This is something most people will not follow in many locations like mine so why fly something which has your name and address all over the signal. Not only that it keeps a record of your flying, fly it in a park, they know who you are even if you flew it over a lake. Its so stupid to buy anything DJI if you are in an area with strict drone rules.

DJI also sucks because of their proprietary encryption or you can't use a repeater and get a better antenna signal with something mounted much higher.

This is my first drone and I'm seeing why I would not be buying anything DJI again.

Yes but with the current laws, if I had built my own drone they would not be able to so easily use Aeroscope and would have to triangulate my location.

This would make it so difficult that they probably wouldn't be able to just come to my door in 15 minutes like they had done and catch me with my pants down. They would not have come to my house hours before the parade when nobody was even lined up. They would have maybe tried to triangulate my signal if I was flying above the parade and flying close to people.

There is no law right now so why fly with something which basically has your name on the signal.

I surely wouldn't be buying anything which is so easily traceable if I was in the market to just fly around my house. Granted, if you are being 100% legal and know all the rules and such, then buy DJI. If you are someplace which has a million rules then why fly a DJI.

Look, I'm not going to be doing stupid stuff with a drone, but where I live Its total illegal to fly anywhere except a few spots. This is something most people will not follow in many locations like mine so why fly something which has your name and address all over the signal. Not only that it keeps a record of your flying, fly it in a park, they know who you are even if you flew it over a lake. Its so stupid to buy anything DJI if you are in an area with strict drone rules.

DJI also sucks because of their proprietary encryption or you can't use a repeater and get a better antenna signal with something mounted much higher.

This is my first drone and I'm seeing why I would not be buying anything DJI again.
You opinion noted.

Counter terrorism task force showed up at my house about 15 minutes of flight. There was a parade starting in 2 hours and that is why they showed up.

I wasn't flying over my house and there is no way they could have known it was from my house. They came right to my house and even in my yard. I was at a window in my house at the time. There is no way they could have known which of the many houses with close back yards that the drone could have come from.

How did they know so quickly? Is this because they can log into DJI software and know my fly home address?
Where are you Located ? any no Fly zones near you?

If this has become just a discussion about how you want to fly illegally without getting caught then I suggest you stop posting.

Funny story, my co worker asked me if I flew and bothered anyone with my drone lately as I was showing him some video a couple of weeks ago.

I told him not really as the terrorism task force came to my house and we both died laughing. He thought I was joking and I left it at that.

It is just so unbelievable that they would come to my door. Crazy to think about it. But I had to show you guys video as some of you did not even believe me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic