DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POLL: Have you powered on your Mavic with the gimbal lock attached?

Ever power on your Mavic with the gimbal lock attached?

• No. I always remember to remove the gimbal lock.

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Yes, and it did not cause any damage.

Votes: 416 91.0%
  • Yes, and it damaged the gimbal and I had to repair my Mavic.

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters
I have done this a few times, usually during transfer of footage to PC, I remember to plug in the USB but forget to take off the gimbal cover before starting up. As I am not connected to the controller or go4 app I get no messages, but all seems OK. I am tending not to use the cover unless travelling. I have made myself a foam padded for short trips but put the cover on for longer journeys.

Been flying my MP1 11 months.

Am I the ONLY d.OP.e who has done this...even AFTER adding the little red ribbon??...UGH!!! Only damage so has been to my pride!

I had to glue a foot long piece of hunter orange ribbon on my cover........
Not pretty but very effective ??‍♂️

where did you get those extensions for the landing legs?
They are PolarPro. Bought direct to get the new stronger hinge. Here’s some posts and pics.

Mine's an MA. A bit of opaque label stock or black tape on the gimbal lock to cover the lens would certainly cause me to not take off with the lock in place.

Of course, seeing black after connecting to the controller would alarm me into reinstalling Go4, updating the firmware on everything including my toaster, installing Litchi to see if it would work and getting a haircut, before I remembered the tape. But that's just me.

No I haven't done it but read a lot of threads of people who have - so here is my solution - I put a remove before flight flag on and then made a plastic cut out from a bright yellow honey pot lid and glued it onto the gimbal cover - now it is impossible to put a battery in without removing it or if a battery is in, it is impossible to turn on my MA without removing the gimbal guard first ie when not flying but downloading photos / checking for updates/settings etc - works GREAT! (don't know why DJI haven't incorporated something like this into the Gimbal cover design?)

I took off with the gimble lock on my Mavic Air. I removed it while hovering above my head. It's amazing how stable the aircraft feels when you grab it.

I left the gimble lock in place last weekend when trying several times to update firmware in my Mavic Pro Platinum. It was powered up and connected to my PC with a usb cable. After the firmware upgrade when I flew it, I had no mechanical control over the camera movement or settings in the go4 app. The camera worked, but moved on it's own and was out of focus. Still trying to sort out this issue.

I left the gimble lock in place last weekend when trying several times to update firmware in my Mavic Pro Platinum. It was powered up and connected to my PC with a usb cable. After the firmware upgrade when I flew it, I had no mechanical control over the camera movement or settings in the go4 app. The camera worked, but moved on it's own and was out of focus. Still trying to sort out this issue.

Did you try a gimbal calibration?

I will say the one from polarpro locks the gimble up tight. I use a piece of red tape flagged off the side. You have to position the axis swivel as you install FYI. I am happy I got it, but if I turned the drone upside down I didn't see the problem with the bubble lock. Yet the Polarpro is better imho.

Reactions: Thomas B

Let me know if you need help sorting it out.

Did you try a gimbal calibration?
Good suggestion. I'm a little new to the sport and my Crystal Sky Go4 app doesn't have this functionality.

So I used my iphone Go4 app and calibrated the IMU and compass; however, calibration for the gimbal doesn't do anything-nothing happens. Also, I can't adjust rotation on the gimbal or control gimbal with the controller dial.

The gimbal does go through a sequence of movements on power-up and it will maintain camera direction when you move the drone around, so it seems to be working at some level.

Also, I can't use my camera, e.g., can't change any settings, take pictures or videos. I tried resetting the camera in the Go4 app camera settings menu, but nothing changed.

Also, reloaded the latest Mavic Pro Platinum firmware v.v01.04.0500 using DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.5 with no luck.

So unless anyone has any suggestions, will have to go to technical support.

Maybe having the camera collar in place while updating the MPP caused the problem, as the drone worked fine immediately before that process?

Good suggestion. I'm a little new to the sport and my Crystal Sky Go4 app doesn't have this functionality.

So I used my iphone Go4 app and calibrated the IMU and compass; however, calibration for the gimbal doesn't do anything-nothing happens. Also, I can't adjust rotation on the gimbal or control gimbal with the controller dial.

The gimbal does go through a sequence of movements on power-up and it will maintain camera direction when you move the drone around, so it seems to be working at some level.

Also, I can't use my camera, e.g., can't change any settings, take pictures or videos. I tried resetting the camera in the Go4 app camera settings menu, but nothing changed.

Also, reloaded the latest Mavic Pro Platinum firmware v.v01.04.0500 using DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.5 with no luck.

So unless anyone has any suggestions, will have to go to technical support.

Maybe having the camera collar in place while updating the MPP caused the problem, as the drone worked fine immediately before that process?

When you say gimbal calibration doesnt do anything, are you able to open the calibration screen in DJI Go 4?

When you say gimbal calibration doesnt do anything, are you able to open the calibration screen in DJI Go 4?
Yes, I see the screen giving me gimbal related options, then pick "Gimbal Auto Calibration" , reply OK to the "Tips" box, after which the Gimbal Settings screen disappears and all I see is the camera screen.

Also, there's no movement of the gimbal after the auto calibrate option is chosen.

Im going to start a new topic for you:

Im going to start a new topic for you:

OK-maybe there's some help out there. Huge number of posts on such issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown