DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll-What kind of range are you REALLY getting with your Air?

Are any of you choosing channels manually (I never have) or just leaving it on Automatic?

Reactions: OldGoatMTB
I get around 1800 m to 2000m. Sometimes i use those parabolic range boosters. I think they do help in extending the range a little bit without losing signal.

I went 2km out to sea this morning using 5.8 GHz and didn't experience any major signal loss. By the time I turned back my battery was at 78%. I'd be too nervous to go below 65%.

Hmmm, my Mavic Air manual says "transmission range up to 2.49 miles or 4 km". It doesn't sound like anyone's getting anywhere close to that. There is a video on YouTube where 'The Everyday Dad' does a range test over water and gets 4km. I'd be happy to get half that in real world conditions. I'm kind of disappointed as I purchased it believing it could go further. It's really the only thing I don't like about my Air.
Better cable maybe

Funny a while back there was a post regarding who flys with the drone VLS at all times. My answer was almost never as anything over 500 feet and vls is lost. Of course I was blasted for being honest. So at 3 to 12k feet you have full VLS?

Again being honest I normally go anywhere from 1500 to 3000 feet in general and rely on the screen for FPV as VLS is impossible. Blast away :)

I go out 12 to 1500 ft I hate not being able to see it, this is in my back yard just for fun flying. when out shooting photos very seldom more the5 or 600 ft no need.

I fly out to 1.5 km with no problem. I limit myself to that though. One tree in the way and the signal drops significantly.

I've flown about 1km max with my MA in the UK, but that wasn't because I had any issues, just becaue what I wanted to film was that far away. Usually I get as close to my subject as I can so I don't have to fly miles/km beforehand. Doesn't this make much more sense?

12,000 ft, then started losing transmission signal. I had about 65% battery. I was on a gentle hill in treeless, telephone line-less area, and sent my Magic Air down a rural road with no traffic...I consistently send it out to 7,000 or 8,000 feet. I live in an arid, wide open part of California.

Yes, but I don't consider flying strait out over water or a desert to be 'real world' performance.
Why is that? Meandering is just going to deplete your battery and flying over populated areas while testing the extreme limits of the drone is just asking for problems.

I live by the sea, so sending the drone out over it is very 'real world' for me.

To be honest I'm amazed I can get 2km+ out of a wifi signal in the first place... I can't even connect to the internet from my bedroom without a repeater. :eek:

Reactions: Fred Norman
Мой полет 3 км
I use antennas with Ali-express

I've lost contact several times at about 3000 feet. In test on private land I lost it at 1000' or less with trees in between.
The furthest I've gone so far is 2910 feet away at 377' high. No obstructions. I got that far and turned around. It was ready to go more it seems

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji