DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

poor quality blurry 48mp shot from mavic air 2

Yes, I was expecting to much from a 12MB pixels tiny sensor... but I will get use to it with some work in Lightroom!

It is not clear what software takes advantage of the 48 mp images taken in bright light. Special algorithms are required to unlock it. The default is a 12 mp image.

It is not clear what software takes advantage of the 48 mp images taken in bright light. Special algorithms are required to unlock it. The default is a 12 mp image.

I don't understand your question. The images posted above, both DNG and JPEG, were 48 MP. It doesn't require any special software.

Hello Everyone
I tested the camera of my new Mavic air 2 during my first fly and back home I realized that the 48MB pictures I took were blurry not up to the quality I saw elsewhere or even close to my Iphone. Lost of details , blurry details to a point that I suspected some vibration of some sort. The videos, though are very nice. I tried again today by just taking my drone outside, putting it on a table without flying suspecting a problem from the gimbal. Same result. the 48MB is bad. . Also the DNG file is 92MP. why? Did somebody experienced the same problem?
Thank you for any help! Sorry I can't attach even a zip file of the picture. What's the size limit?
Richard
Did you take the cover off the gimbal?

?yes and even the stickers! I m just A bit disappointed by the picture quality which is a 12mp sensor and a “48MB”. I should have done a bit more researches before buying mavic air 2 vs mavic air pro with the hasselblad camera. For my first drone it’s still amazing. Lesson learned.

?yes and even the stickers! I m just A bit disappointed by the picture quality which is a 12mp sensor and a “48MB”. I should have done a bit more researches before buying mavic air 2 vs mavic air pro with the hasselblad camera. For my first drone it’s still amazing. Lesson learned.

It's not in the same class as the M2P but it's still really pretty good, especially if you are willing to do a little post-processing, and it is a fraction of the cost.

Not true. The 48 mp image is divided into groups. The finest grouping is 48 mp. The larger grouping made up of 4 pixels from the smaller group which are combined to make low image lighting pixels. Most software reads only these larger groups. A special de-mosaicing software is required to access and individually use the these photosites. This Sony quad site sensor is used in the latest iPhones, where the Apple software correctly decodes the photo sites depending on the lighting when the image was recorded. I cannot cite any software other than Apple that correctly decodes images from this sensor.

Not true. The 48 mp image is divided into groups. The finest grouping is 48 mp. The larger grouping made up of 4 pixels from the smaller group which are combined to make low image lighting pixels. Most software reads only these larger groups. A special de-mosaicing software is required to access and individually use the these photosites. This Sony quad site sensor is used in the latest iPhones, where the Apple software correctly decodes the photo sites depending on the lighting when the image was recorded. I cannot cite any software other than Apple that correctly decodes images from this sensor.

I have no idea what you are talking about. How the Mavic extracted them from the quad Bayer data is a different debate, but the files above are 48 MP image files - 8000 x 6000 pixels.

Reactions: RMS001
I have no idea what you are talking about. How the Mavic extracted them from the quad Bayer data is a different debate, but the files above are 48 MP image files - 8000 x 6000 pixels.

I wonder how many people bought the Air2 thinking it had a 48MP sensor?

DJI marketing at their best.

I wonder how many people bought the Air2 thinking it had a 48MP sensor?

DJI marketing at their best.

It's the same as the marketing of that sensor in the mobile phone market and, to be fair, it does have the requisite number of photosites - they are just not arranged to give a full 48 MP resolution and require additional interpolation between colors in order to get there.

You miss the point. I know that they report being 48 mp. The issue is that the deBayer it software does not create images reflecting the full 48 mp image data. What is shown is a 48 mp image with the data from a 12 mp image encoded in it.

You miss the point. I know that they report being 48 mp. The issue is that the deBayer it software does not create images reflecting the full 48 mp image data. What is shown is a 48 mp image with the data from a 12 mp image encoded in it.

I'm not missing the point - the images from the SD card are 48 MP. They don't "report as 48 MP" - they are 8000 x 6000 pixels. They don't need any special software to read them as 48 MP. The 48 MP have already been created by the aircraft.

Not sure what iPhone you’re talking about the iPhone 11 Pro Max has a 12 megapixel sensor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31