DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

poor quality blurry 48mp shot from mavic air 2

Marketing seems to be about all Autel is capable of these days.

There’s the truth, lies and then there’s marketing. It used to be about truthfully describing a product (in the UK at least) and getting the product out there. Nowadays it’s just deliberately misleading, playing on words, twisting the truth or inventing scientific sounding words to woo the gullible.

All the more reason then to research in advance of a purchase.

It's the same as the marketing of that sensor in the mobile phone market and, to be fair, it does have the requisite number of photosites - they are just not arranged to give a full 48 MP resolution and require additional interpolation between colors in order to get there.

Very true on both counts. Interesting that the manufacturers never tried the same with flatscreen TV’s and laptops - 3x the horizontal number of pixels. Too many people knew what High Definition meant... except many of the TV companies in Australia and the retailers who chose HD (720 - PAL) and Full HD (1080). I know several who bought an early ‘HD’ TV and later found it couldn’t display 1080. Mugged by marketing.

There’s the truth, lies and then there’s marketing. It used to be about truthfully describing a product (in the UK at least) and getting the product out there. Nowadays it’s just deliberately misleading, playing on words, twisting the truth or inventing scientific sounding words to woo the gullible.

All the more reason then to research in advance of a purchase.
This is nothing new. I'm sure clipper ships were sold on the biggest square footage of sails, even though in a strong wind the masts would break off.
Hey the sensor IS 48MP, it's just that consumers don't realize there is more to image quality than pixel count.
That's why it pays to do your research BEFORE buy,

Before you get too tangled up in this, try searching the web.

I see - so you are unable to explain your assertion, unable to address any of my points, and unable to cite any of the actual sources that you imply are out there to support your assertion. You are the one who appears to be tangled up.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
This is nothing new. I'm sure clipper ships were sold on the biggest square footage of sails, even though in a strong wind the masts would break off.
Hey the sensor IS 48MP, it's just that consumers don't realize there is more to image quality than pixel count.
That's why it pays to do your research BEFORE buy,

I was suspicious when DJI marketed the Mavic 2 Pro with a Hasselblad camera. Research confirmed the real ‘truth’. DJI are the majority stake holder in Hasselblad, it’s a Sony sensor and Hasselblad just provided processing technology. How many people think they have invested in a Hasselblad camera? More than a few I should imagine.

Trouble is, how many people even think to research more about a product beyond the marketing hype?

Reactions: RonW and Peio64270
I don't own a Mavic Air 2 but if I follow the analysis of Paladrone (in French, sorry), Tantankha seems right. Paladrone says that 48Mp photos are "a great disappointment" and that they give "a mush of pixels".
This is at 20:27 in this video :
where he compares the MA2 to the Mini and to the MP2.
Below a screenshot from the video :
1594108028736.png

Reactions: boblui
I was suspicious when DJI marketed the Mavic 2 Pro with a Hasselblad camera. Research confirmed the real ‘truth’. DJI are the majority stake holder in Hasselblad, it’s a Sony sensor and Hasselblad just provided processing technology. How many people think they have invested in a Hasselblad camera? More than a few I should imagine.

Trouble is, how many people even think to research more about a product beyond the marketing hype?
When did DJI buy into Hasselblad? Long after 2012 when Hasselblad started rebadging Sony cameras and doubling or tripling the price.

DJI isn’t the only Chinese entity to buy a prestigious or well known quality associated brand and continue producing inferior products.

What’s your point?

You don’t think the colour processing algorithms provide for good performance?

DJI’s buy in was well publicised. Hardly a secret.

I never mentioned anything about it being a secret. Simply pointing out the obvious - people need to research beyond the marketing hype. Obvious to us who have followed the industry for a long time but not to those buying a drone for the first time.

DJI isn’t the only Chinese entity to buy a prestigious or well known quality associated brand and continue producing inferior products..

So what do you see about DJI’s products that are inferior?

Inferior to what?

H
So what do you see about DJI’s products that are inferior?

Inferior to what?
How about we start with your observation as an example- the camera on the Mavic 2 pro. It was the Hasselblad component you mentioned and the subject of my response. As far as I am aware DJI has always been a Chinese company, they didn’t buy the DJI brand.

H

How about we start with your observation as an example- the camera on the Mavic 2 pro. It was the Hasselblad component you mentioned and the subject of my response. As far as I am aware DJI has always been a Chinese company, they didn’t buy the DJI brand.

I admit I’m a little disappointed in the quality of the stills produced by the camera especially at small apertures but for the convenience of a highly portable aerial camera I can’t complain too much.

Having been used to 20MP images from my DSLR and the use of prime lenses, the performance of the ‘Hasselblad camera’ lens is very average - even accounting from the smaller image sensor. But then I don’t want to risk my DSLR being hoisted up in the sky by a much larger, less portable AC. It’s all a compromise.

It can't be that bad?
I see plenty of quite good images shot with the Mavic 2 pro.

The shots from my Mavic 2 Pro are okay but nowhere near the quality from my Canon 5D. Obviously the Canon full-frame sensor makes a big difference as do the prime lenses but there is significant increase in colour resolution, lack of chromatic aberration, lack of noise and biting sharpness across all apertures.

It’s an unfair comparison really but I expected better.

I’m stuck in the UK without my camera to show a real comparison at present. As soon as the weather improves here I’ll post a few shots from the Mavic - same subject, different apertures.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82