DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Portable charging for mavic batteries

Howcroft22

Reactions
I have a 12v portable jumper pack I keep in my toolbox in my pick up. It has a 12 V cigarette outlet. Has anyone tried using one of these as a portable charger to get your batteries charged while away from your house or vehicle? I usually use my 12 V adapter in my vehicle to charge my Mavic batteries when out flying. But I’m going ice fishing and wanted to be able to get a couple extra charges. I know they make a portable charging station for the Mavic now that’s like $130. But I wouldn’t use it every day so it’s not worth it for me. Hoping I can just use my jumper pack. Has anyone else tried this? I think I’m going to try today.

I have the Dronemax M10. I don’t use it everyday but it’s a great piece of kit. On a full charge it will do 2 mavic batteries twice and top up my controller. This in essence gives me an extra 4 batteries. Great build too. Very sturdy.
Not quite what you were asking but definitely worth a purchase.

I have the Dronemax M10. I don’t use it everyday but it’s a great piece of kit. On a full charge it will do 2 mavic batteries twice and top up my controller. This in essence gives me an extra 4 batteries. Great build too. Very sturdy.
Not quite what you were asking but definitely worth a purchase.

That was the 130$ Charger I was talking about.

That was the 130$ Charger I was talking about.

Thought it might have been. All depends on your needs I suppose. Just jumped in with my 2 pennies (cents) worth. I don’t see why your 12v socket in the jumper pack wouldn’t work but I found the 12v car charger adapter takes forever to charge. The M10 charges 2 batteries in just under an hour

If using the mavic car charger, it wont work or if it does it will only for a few minutes as it needs to see above a certain voltage.
Unlikely a 12 volt jump pack will supply a high enough voltage.
Even using the car charger on a car 12volt socket requires the engine running to keep the voltage up or it wont charge

Thought it might have been. All depends on your needs I suppose. Just jumped in with my 2 pennies (cents) worth. I don’t see why your 12v socket in the jumper pack wouldn’t work but I found the 12v car charger adapter takes forever to charge. The M10 charges 2 batteries in just under an hour

Maybe you bought the wrong one. Mine charges just as fast as the AC charger. Did you buy a cheap one or something? Or did you buy the DJI car charger.?

If using the mavic car charger, it wont work or if it does it will only for a few minutes as it needs to see above a certain voltage.
Unlikely a 12 volt jump pack will supply a high enough voltage.
Even using the car charger on a car 12volt socket requires the engine running to keep the voltage up or it wont charge

I know the 12v Charger needs the engine running to keep charging. But a jumper pack puts a lot of amperage out and will start a dead vehicle.

Maybe you bought the wrong one. Mine charges just as fast as the AC charger. Did you buy a cheap one or something? Or did you buy the DJI car charger.?

No. The car charger came with the mavic. The M10 charges much faster than the mains charger. I also got the blue coloured charger that charges 3 batteries simultaneously and charges 3 in under an hour

I know the 12v Charger needs the engine running to keep charging. But a jumper pack puts a lot of amperage out and will start a dead vehicle.

Its not the amperage that's the issue, its the voltage, the mavic car charger needs to see iirc more than 13 volts, and even a full charged 12volt battery is only 12.6 volts or slightly above when full charged.

Where as with the alternator running the voltage would be approximately
13.7 to 14.7 volts.

That's just my experience with the mavic car charger.

Your correct though, the car charger charges faster than the mains one

My starter pack has a 120-volt receptacle. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm betting it will run the Mavic battery charger just fine. Also, why wouldn't a charger that works off a 12-volt vehicle receptacle work equally well off a 12-volt starter pack receptacle? I bet you'll be fine.

My starter pack has a 120-volt receptacle. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm betting it will run the Mavic battery charger just fine. Also, why wouldn't a charger that works off a 12-volt vehicle receptacle work equally well off a 12-volt starter pack receptacle? I bet you'll be fine.

That’s pretty cool that it has that 120v. I bet it works perfectly!!

It should work fine of off 120volt
Although its very inefficient as you are steping up to 120 volt from 12 through your inverter on the start pack, then stepping down rne voltage from 120 volt to whatever the mavic battery needs via your mavic charger.
That all equals a lot of wasted energy.

The 12 volt will work off your starter jump pack with the mavic car charger, you just need to add in a running internal combustion engine and an alternator to your 12 volt starter pack :D;)

But being serious for a minute , you asked why it will work off of the cars 12volt socket and not the 12volt socket of a jump pack - which is little more than a car battery in a box, normally a sealed lead acid battery-
It will only work off the cars 12volt socket if the engine is running - see my posts above - if it does work without the engine running, then your alternator is knackered and your car battery is seriously over charging.

Have a search through on this forum, plenty of posts about the mavic car charger not working without the engine running :)

Last edited:
It should work fine of off 120volt
Although its very inefficient as you are steping up to 120 volt from 12 through your inverter on the start pack, then stepping down rne voltage from 120 volt to whatever the mavic battery needs via your mavic charger.
That all equals a lot of wasted energy.

The 12 volt will work off your starter jump pack with the mavic car charger, you just need to add in a running internal combustion engine and an alternator to your 12 volt starter pack :D;)

But being serious for a minute , you asked why it will work off of the cars 12volt socket and not the 12volt socket of a jump pack - which is little more than a car battery in a box, normally a sealed lead acid battery-
It will only work off the cars 12volt socket if the engine is running - see my posts above - if it does work without the engine running, then your alternator is knackered and your car battery is seriously over charging.

Have a search through on this forum, plenty of posts about the mavic car charger not working without the engine running :)

There should be no need for an inverter if he it’s already a 120. You just plug the ac charger in.

I tried the Mavic car charger and it will not charge if the car is off. But If you by the cheap cell phone looking aftermarket charger it works just fine with the car off. The mavic charger seems to have a smart cutoff circuit that stops charging after 12.5 volts and the cheap chargers do not have that added safety feature.

I tried the Mavic car charger and it will not charge if the car is off. But If you by the cheap cell phone looking aftermarket charger it works just fine with the car off. The mavic charger seems to have a smart cutoff circuit that stops charging after 12.5 volts and the cheap chargers do not have that added safety feature.

Correct. The DJI charger does this to prevent draining the vehicles battery.

You have the charger pack and the mavic car charger. Why all the speculation when you can just plug it in and see if it works.

You have the charger pack and the mavic car charger. Why all the speculation when you can just plug it in and see if it works.

That’s a good question. I have it at my parents house. So I didn’t want to get it for nothing. I’m gonna try it though when I get a chance.

I have a 12v portable jumper pack I keep in my toolbox in my pick up. It has a 12 V cigarette outlet. Has anyone tried using one of these as a portable charger to get your batteries charged while away from your house or vehicle? I usually use my 12 V adapter in my vehicle to charge my Mavic batteries when out flying. But I’m going ice fishing and wanted to be able to get a couple extra charges. I know they make a portable charging station for the Mavic now that’s like $130. But I wouldn’t use it every day so it’s not worth it for me. Hoping I can just use my jumper pack. Has anyone else tried this? I think I’m going to try today.

I use a harbor freight inverter that cost me a whole 17 bucks. It can power the blue muli charger, 3 batteries and the controller. I have another one that charges 3 bebop 2 batteries. I have two outlets in the car so I run two inverters between flights when I drive to new locations.

That’s a good question. I have it at my parents house. So I didn’t want to get it for nothing. I’m gonna try it though when I get a chance.

I don't know why more folks don't use power inverters in their car. You can one cheaper than the car charger and you can use it for laptops, the multiple battery charger, etc...

Reactions: Turn11
I use a harbor freight inverter that cost me a whole 17 bucks. It can power the blue muli charger, 3 batteries and the controller. I have another one that charges 3 bebop 2 batteries. I have two outlets in the car so I run two inverters between flights when I drive to new locations.

Not really what we are talking about. We are talking about portable charging. If I wanted to change in the car I’d just use the car charger. We are talking about being away from homes and vehicles. As I said in the original post.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adyo