DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Positive RID experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
"expensive public education campaign" is so 80s and is sorely ineffective on today's generation. Social media does the trick and the thing is, it happens suddenly. Everything goes from 0-100 in a matter of days. You wonder why so many people are caught off guard and are literally shocked and unprepared when it happens...it's because they're stuck in the 90s.

Reactions: ericole
"expensive public education campaign" is so 80s and is sorely ineffective on today's generation. Social media does the trick and the thing is, it happens suddenly. Everything goes from 0-100 in a matter of days. You wonder why so many people are caught off guard and are literally shocked and unprepared when it happens...it's because they're stuck in the 90s.

Yup, well aware of that. We simply disagree that this is of sufficient interest to spark such an outcome. So it would take a deliberate effort – a paid campaign – for general public awareness to happen.

And even then, it would fail. Why? Because people don't care. They have much more important things to worry about in their lives compared to hobbyist drones flying around.

As a drone flyer , this is what you want ?

You want every flight of yours to be tested like this ?

This is what people have been afraid of , I didnt get it untill right now all the people against this RID
I thought it was one step closer to flying Further out and a great Idea.

If this is how its going to be used, it will be shut down after the first couple of escalated encounters.
Based on how fast this is going to happen , maybe only security should have these apps.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
Agreed, but the cat is out of the bag now, and because of that, controlling it now is too late imo.

Ok, so rewrite your story: same thing but instead of the "event on campus", the drone is flying near someone's house (but not over or even trying to film it or anything) and, instead of you getting the location, is your hot-headed neighbour who wrongly believes you're stalking him with your drone...

That's why giving the location isn't such a good idea...
There’s always some hot-head out there who will accuse you of spying on his house or his pool or his wife in the pool. (This happened to me.) I have to tell you I don’t like to be confronted by morons. If you are flying and some half baked idiot confronts you, what do you do? You can’t reason with people who always think the worst. Oh, and I was told he better not catch me in the air anywhere near his house. I don’t know the man, no idea where he lives or if he has a wife or a pool. It makes me want to carry heat and or a baseball bat. A high price to pay for a harmless hobby. Yeah RI D makes you the criminal. Make no mistake.

While I'm exercising the "privilege" of flying a drone in the FAA jurisdictional airspace I'll also be exercising my 2nd Amendment right to ensure my personal safety if the location from RID becomes an issue for a combative Karen/Ken. The law can only protect you from rational law-abiding people that will not present a problem to begin with. If it is my responsibility to fly safely my personal safety is equally important. While I haven't heard of instances of "drone hijacking" there have been spoofs of RID. So what if someone spoofs YOUR RID info and "flys off the handle" and does something idiotic, dangerous, or catastrophic? There is an issue I don't see talked about very often.

If the day ever comes that I become so afraid of a hardened criminal or silly fussbudget confronting me while flying a drone that I need to carry a weapon, I'll be making some "for sale" posts in the classifieds forum.

But, I'm certain that's not going to happen. I simply do not have those fears of dangerous criminals and violent whining complainers coming to get me. Sure, call me naive, uninformed, or delusional, but I sleep well at night knowing that facts and reality support my lack of fear.

Yeah RI D makes you the criminal.
This is a bit out there. :)
If the day ever comes that I become so afraid of a hardened criminal or silly fussbudget confronting me while flying a drone that I need to carry a weapon, I'll be making some "for sale" posts in the classifieds forum.

But, I'm certain that's not going to happen. I simply do not have those fears of dangerous criminals and violent whining complainers coming to get me. Sure, call me naive, uninformed, or delusional, but I sleep well at night knowing that facts and reality support my lack of fear.
I agree wholeheartily.

This is a bit out there. :)

I agree wholeheartily.
The whole idea of remote ID is so the authorities can keep their finger on you. Drone flyers are low hanging fruit . Heavy delivery drones should be required to have RID . Camera drones and fpv flyers should be exempt. Give me one instance of death or destruction involving a small camera or fpv
drone. I was a terrestrial photographer before I ever flew a camera drone. It’s just another dimension of the hobby and or job, depending on what you use the cameras for. Thanks for listening.

As a drone flyer , this is what you want ?

You want every flight of yours to be tested like this ?

This is what people have been afraid of , I didnt get it untill right now all the people against this RID
I thought it was one step closer to flying Further out and a great Idea.

If this is how its going to be used, it will be shut down after the first couple of escalated encounters.
Based on how fast this is going to happen , maybe only security should have these apps.

Phantomrain.org
Unless you are hiding in the bushes when flying and trying not to be seen on purpose, what really is the difference between someone using an app to find someone who is flying and walking over to chat with them vs seeing a pilot controlling a drone and doing the same?

• Sad
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Unless you are hiding in the bushes when flying and trying not to be seen on purpose, what really is the difference between someone using an app to find someone who is flying and walking over to chat with them vs seeing a pilot controlling a drone and doing the same?
Lets say your flying from your own Home out on the Deck, taking your drone out to capture the Sunset, its 8:30 at night, there is car in your drive and a Knock on the door, Wonder who it might be. ?

Let just accept the fact, its a matter of time before we start hearing reported incidents because there coming , just like we have drone police on the forum that feel the need to just CHECK all the boxes , there are those that are going to want to do the same for every drone that flies over there house. ?

Consider the number of posts where Home Owners shot at the drone, do you want them to know where you live so they can take out there anger and hate in person.

I was so adamant about RID being a good thing and now its seems so obvious they mean well but its being implemented so poorly.

Road Rage became a Thing . Drone Rage is next on the list.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water, and hide from the Rage.

I don't get it. I didn't confront anyone (I never came within 100 ft of the operator), and I didn't object to the presence of the drone. But I was in an environment where there were police everywhere, including with dogs. People were on edge. As a drone pilot I know drones are not supposed to be flying over large gatherings. And while it was not over people when I saw it, I don't know how it could have arrived over the campus without crossing over people or vehicles. So I used a tool to see to make sure that the drone was not being used by whoever it was that all the security was protecting us from. I supposed I could have gone to a nearby police office and let them track it down, would that have been better?
Sorry, but I see this as a "Karen" move, unless you were involved with security. You could have said that curiosity got the better of you and you went to see if the app worked. I would have understood that.

The only time I've ever complained about a drone was during a large festival in the area, but I was involved with an event setup and a Matice 300 kept flying over the setup crew. I sent word through the festival organizers to tell the police to cut that crap out and they came to explain it wasn't them, but another Government organization, who they subsequently kicked out of their flying location on top of a large building.

Your drone wasn't flying over anyone, was just hovering and wasn't bothering anyone. I don't understand why you felt you had to take any action. You appointed yourself as the drone police.

If it had been carrying a large object, flying over the crowd, or over moving vehicles, you would have had something to involve yourself with, but that action should have been notifying authorities and letting them handle it. For instance, what would you have done it you came up on a group and they actually had malicious intent? Sounds like a good way to get shot, to me.

I fly in a lot of controlled air space and having someone look you up on an app, to come see what you are doing, is why I saw this as a problem when the FAA first announced it would be available to the public.

I think there is a big differnece :

Its one thing to fly your drone and have someone come up to you and tell you your not suppose to fly.

Its another when they knock on your window in your car and tell you they dont like you flying , that they were scared you might be a terroist and they saw your drone over a building where there children are . no big deal.

But when they drive to your home and knock on it , this is another level :

One that is not the easy to brush off.

One that may make you feel unsafe, maybe fearful of flying again.
One that may make you sell your drone as others have stated.
One that could cause things to esaclate to the police coming
One that could cause your family alarm, stress .

I myself have had a few knocks on my door over the last 5 years, mostly because my backyards is next to a Park, and
and we have something similar to what we call the Drone Forum Police but I call it the Home drone Police or those that feel the need to educate you on flying your drone .

No matter what anyone says, once someone confronts you at your home addresss , you will not sleep so peaceful at night and I think that there lies the problem with RID. Knocks on the door will never quite be the same after that happens.

Phantomrain.org

I think there is a big differnece :

Its one thing to fly your drone and have someone come up to you and tell you your not suppose to fly.

Its another when they knock on your window in your car and tell you they dont like you flying , that they were scared you might be a terroist and they saw your drone over a building where there children are . no big deal.

But when they drive to your home and knock on it , this is another level :

One that is not the easy to brush off.

One that may make you feel unsafe, maybe fearful of flying again.
One that may make you sell your drone as others have stated.
One that could cause things to esaclate to the police coming
One that could cause your family alarm, stress .

I myself have had a few knocks on my door over the last 5 years, mostly because my backyards is next to a Park, and
and we have something similar to what we call the Drone Forum Police but I call it the Home drone Police or those that feel the need to educate you on flying your drone .

No matter what anyone says, once someone confronts you at your home addresss , you will not sleep so peaceful at night and I think that there lies the problem with RID. Knocks on the door will never quite be the same after that happens.

Phantomrain.org
Exactly what happened to me.

Interesting thread. So none of this has to do with airspace safety, as touted by the FAA???? Interesting indeed.

The whole idea of remote ID is so the authorities can keep their finger on you
Simply not true. As long as one is flying legally, there is nothing to worry about. RID will assist the FAA in identifying those that don't.

Simply not true. As long as one is flying legally, there is nothing to worry about. RID will assist the FAA in identifying those that don't.
Well, it’s nice to know the gov’t owns the skies too.

Well, it’s nice to know the gov’t owns the skies too.
The FAA has the responsibility of managing airspace. And the FAA is a government entity.

Stay on topic folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas