DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible new Mavic-II Ambarella H-3 Image Processor?

Cliff_622

Reactions
I'll keep this quick:

S.O.C. Image processors for Mavic drones:

All Mavic Pro's = Ambarella A9 - (Ancient, terrible piece of crap that originally appeared on the GoPro 3)
Phantom 4 Pro = Ambarella H1 (Great chip with 100mbp/s and HEVC)
Mavic Air = Ambarella H1.

With the release of the Mavic-II. DJI has a choice to install the Ambarella H2....or the newer H3!!

Google "Ambarella H3" and you will see that it can do 4k, 120fps, 10bit color AND 8k at 30p!!

We know the Sony 1inch sensor is 20mp so the most it can do is 5k in 16x9 4k readout for video. However, with the H3 chip, DJI "could" do a full open gate sensor readout and give us 20mp 6K VIDEO in a 3:2 aspect ratio!!

Holy crap,....I dont know id DJI would dare giving the Mavic-II 6k video at 20mp resolution but ****,...the H3 video processor "could" make that possible.

CT

I believe the rumor is the Pro has a Hasselblad camera.
"Hasselblad"....yeah, they are trying to pump that name up. Both cameras use Sony sensors. (Hasselblad does not own a sensor fab plant) Im also betting that Sony was contracted to design and manufacture the lenses and focus control too. Ambarella H2, H22 or H3 will probably be the SOC image processor.

For years, even Hasselblad had 99% of their cameras manufactured by Sony. (Several of their models)

Interesting they went high end chip but not utilising most of it. Does strongly hint its going to be standard architecture in a few new drones as they gradually wind its featureset up.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Interesting they went high end chip but not utilising most of it. Does strongly hint its going to be standard architecture in a few new drones as they gradually wind its featureset up.
They're going to save it for the midlife refresh

Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom Platinum. Will probably allow for 4k at 60fps/120fps with full sensor readout, and higher bitrates.

I can confirm the Mavic 2 Pro uses the H3 Ambarella. The Sony sensor is actually recording in 5K and downsampling to 4K when using 4K FOV mode.

Imgur

Sorry but it's NOT doing a 5k readout to 4k down sampling. (like the P4P does) As of this weekend, I have proof and I'm working on a semi-lab video tonight to prove this. It's actually line skipping it's @ss off!

CT

I can confirm the Mavic 2 Pro uses the H3 Ambarella. The Sony sensor is actually recording in 5K and downsampling to 4K when using 4K FOV mode.

Imgur

Is there a picture with the thermal paste removed? We can see the big H3 however typically Ambarella tends to write the model in a more subtle way plus they include their own branding.

Also the H3 in promotional photos appears to have a metalic heatspreader, perhaps a custom version for DJI?
H3-Final.jpeg

Is there a picture with the thermal paste removed? We can see the big H3 however typically Ambarella tends to write the model in a more subtle way plus they include their own branding.

Also the H3 in promotional photos appears to have a metalic heatspreader, perhaps a custom version for DJI?
H3-Final.jpeg
That is a fancy product photography shot. DJI probably ordered theirs without the heat spreader to save on weight and costs (they have their own massive heatsink for cooling, and afterall, this is an aircraft, every gram counts). Everyone is forgetting the H3 is not just managing the 4K Hasselblad camera, it's also processing 2x 1080p and 4x 720p data streams for 3d mapping and obstacle avoidance via the cameras. That's why DJI couldn't do 120 FPS 4K or put a 8K sensor on the aircraft.

So it could help using Sports Mode. Then there would be no need to process the sensor images

Imgur

Old post and late reply - but I am so tired of all the speculative discussions and conspiracy theories. Have you actually taken the M2P apart and checked what video chip is in there?

Old post and late reply - but I am so tired of all the speculative discussions and conspiracy theories. Have you actually taken the M2P apart and checked what video chip is in there?
I dont think anybody can 100% confirm what chip DJI is using yet.

I dont think anybody can 100% confirm what chip DJI is using yet.

So..? Why don’t we take one apart? I am sure there have got to be some crashed ones or “show” models... Would that not go a long way to clear some fog?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honzax