DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Potential Overheating Problem & Solution

ArranEye

Reactions
Having not flown my MP for a couple of months, I thought it wise to power it up and check it thoroughly before yesterday's photo shoot. While adjusting the camera settings I saw a warning that the main circuit board was overheating. I realised the fan was not running, so immediately powered down the MP. The heatsink was too hot to touch!
Close examination of the front grille showed no distortion (the fan spins very close to this) but I did see a fine fawn fibre, which I realised was a tiny dried blade of grass, wedged in the grille. Careful manipulation with a toothpick released it ~ and enabled the fan to spin once again.
Hovering for a photograph, there is insufficient natural cooling and you don't get much warning of overheating before the MP shuts down completely, so taking off with a seized fan would be very risky.
Since the fan is so easily prevented from spinning, perhaps DJI can add a monitored test spin at start-up ~ and a further warning if that fails.

this is what I'm afraid of during mid flight the fan may stop spinning, then MP overheat

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom