DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Power lines and the cosmic vortex?

Strange thread name but thats how I get you to look.

So, question.. I have a set of high power lines going through my property, no not sure of the voltage. It the "trunk line"? for the household power in the area mostly rural.
Do power lines like this effect my drone flying in any way? I know the obvious part about running into them but do they disrupt the radio waves or anything like that if I were to fly under them or around them or anything?

Thanks
Our company had a Phantom that the operator claimed went nutz when he got between a couple of phases of 230kV. Now I wasn't there and the guy didn't want to loose his plush job by admitting he made a mistake so all we could do was take his word on it. But overall we never had issues while inspecting transmission lines over the years. One thing to mention is how wind and/or thunderstorm activity effects transmission lines. There have been times when we had a hard time working on a dead and grounded circuit when the opposite live circuit had wind blowing towards the dead one. The static can be too much to handle and there are times where we have to cancel the job because of it. I just don't know how the drones electronic would react to induced static being the quad is a floating device. Technically we never have to get so close that it affects the drones.

I've flown my MP a couple of feet away from 12kV distribution lines and transformers and have never had an issue. That said there are specific clearance distances for equipment depending on the line voltage that an unqualified person must abide by. Many transmission lines are classified as critical infrastructure and although you probably would not be caught, you might get turned in to LE or possibly have a troubleshooter come tell you keep away from the lines. The main thing is not to hit them. There are miles of high voltage distribution lines that a drone can cause the phases to slap together. This often burns down the line or relays it. Myself I don't want to be tossed into a lawsuit if the outage causes damage or injury because of my actions. As for the image in the earlier post, that is an easy grab to remove the quad in the picture. However getting hung up on a transmission line is a bit different and could be very costly if the company bills you to remove it. Worst case is if you chip an insulator or damage a line. Most transmission lines are bundled aluminum strands and a high speed impact might cause damage. I guarantee you wouldn't want to pay for that repair. Just stay clear of them. Nothing goes wrong until it does.
clearance distances guide for energized lines.JPG

Reactions: A.O. and SkyeHigh

So, question.. I have a set of high power lines going through my property, no not sure of the voltage. It the "trunk line"? for the household power in the area mostly rural.
Do power lines like this effect my drone flying in any way? I know the obvious part about running into them but do they disrupt the radio waves or anything like that if I were to fly under them or around them or anything?

Thanks
Like they said, as long as you don’t hit them with the Drone but there are some buried Cables around me and when I fly over them, it shakes my Video a little!

Reactions: A.O.
They don’t.
I have a 260’ cell tower ~0.25 miles from the house. I was flying and in a climb ~175’ AGL when a warning flashed up on my screen stating “Warning, Radar in the area, fly with caution!” (Or words to that affect)... The only thing I can think of is the cell tower... There is no radar in the area!!

Thanks
We have a powerline runs across our property and despite what others say (and of course there are other variables which could be at play here) I used to have big issues when taking off, flying and landing nearby with my old Phantom 3, though a Hubsan had no similar issues.

With my Mavic 2, I haven't noticed any problems, but tbh, I tend to keep the lines a wide berth just in case.

I wonder if anyone else had had similar experience?

We have a powerline runs across our property and despite what others say (and of course there are other variables which could be at play here) I used to have big issues when taking off, flying and landing nearby with my old Phantom 3, though a Hubsan had no similar issues.

With my Mavic 2, I haven't noticed any problems, but tbh, I tend to keep the lines a wide berth just in case.

I wonder if anyone else had had similar experience?
Yeah, I'm not looking to go close, just if I needed to for some reason what the effect would be.

I have a 260’ cell tower ~0.25 miles from the house. I was flying and in a climb ~175’ AGL when a warning flashed up on my screen stating “Warning, Radar in the area, fly with caution!” (Or words to that affect)... The only thing I can think of is the cell tower... There is no radar in the area!!
Are you sure??:oops:

If you route auxiliary power to your shields you should be able to pass close by vortex without interference.
Seriously folks, only try this if you're flying under impulse power! At warp drive you're likely to fry your dilithium crystals and DJI will refuse to replace these under warranty - even if you do manage to retrieve your craft from the matrix!

This is a couple of years ago with my Mavic air.
And this is a couple of weeks ago with my micro drone thats smaller than a Spark.

judging by some of the replies appearing now ,it seems that this thread has become somewhat of a joke ,can we keep it on topic please

Reactions: dirkclod and A.O.
This is with my Mavic Air a couple of years ago when I started flying.
This is a couple of weeks ago with my Micro drone.

Reactions: A.O.
So power lines , above or below your fine to fly past them , but those gray canister things on the poles can cause some serious interference so stay away, I have had those cause me to spin into atti mode and that is never fun.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the storm.
You talking about theses.
1728A501-3BC3-4223-8059-56E8284FC663.jpeg46D9390F-C7AE-4D65-912D-73A011D9087C.jpeg
Had to cycle some batteries this morning and checked mine out.
Had AO on and was as close as I could get to it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
This is with my Mavic Air a couple of years ago when I started flying.
This is a couple of weeks ago with my Micro drone.
Well that was kind of scary cool... but... it showed that the lines had no effect on the control of your drone, and I have no where near that many lines here... Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaffainNL