DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Power lines - my training ground

zzxrox

Reactions
This is my first video post. It's a little long because its one full flight but it was a fun one. This is my flying spot. Not the greatest for sure but keeps me on my toes. This is after about five hours of flight time with my MA. There are no filters or camera panning its just raw footage. Also since I got my MA (Zombie Drone 01) I started to learn a little video editing and I have a long way to go but I really enjoy it. Any feedback would be appreciated. If you like this vid there are a couple more on my YouTube page -Zombie Drone.
Turn it up and Enjoy!

Reactions: Olderguyjim
Ahh, looks like So. Cal!, near Lake Forrest? I am afraid to fly near those power lines as we have had magnetic problems when we have tried. My sons drone crashed due to magnetic interference doing exactly what you are doing. Not sure if the cause was the power lines but I can't chance it anymore.

Reactions: zzxrox
Ahh, looks like So. Cal!, near Lake Forrest? I am afraid to fly near those power lines as we have had magnetic problems when we have tried. My sons drone crashed due to magnetic interference doing exactly what you are doing. Not sure if the cause was the power lines but I can't chance it anymore.
It's SoCal for sure San Diego. In the video you will see TJ and down town SD in the distance. I have another video of me actually hitting the lines. It's not my favorite spot to fly but it's right next to my house and if it goes down it won't be in someone's back yard.

This is my first video post. It's a little long because its one full flight but it was a fun one. This is my flying spot. Not the greatest for sure but keeps me on my toes. This is after about five hours of flight time with my MA. There are no filters or camera panning its just raw footage. Also since I got my MA (Zombie Drone 01) I started to learn a little video editing and I have a long way to go but I really enjoy it. Any feedback would be appreciated. If you like this vid there are a couple more on my YouTube page -Zombie Drone.
Turn it up and Enjoy!
Love the sound, you are going to suffer fried drone syndrome if you keep that up.

Reactions: zzxrox
Funny thing is, he could hit the lines and not even cause a spark. He has more danger standing by the base of the power poles themselves. If the air humidity is high enough to moisten the insulators, the static charge can travel down the pole and ground. I've seen this happen a few times. (Worked at a power plant for 35 years) 500KV lines or even 230KV lines are not to be played around with. If you need to use the area for your drone flying experience, better to stand away from the pole bases.

Turn it up and Enjoy!

Hey there, and welcome! Don’t take this badly, just some friendly advice.

Flying around power line is risky in many ways. I wouldnt unless I was authorized to do training inspection flights for the power company. They may have issues with doing it if the bird gets caught in their equipment, and the bad news potential for all of us regarding flying drones near power lines is risky given what PG&E is facing for power line issues these days. There are many places to fly that are more scenic in SD county, too. Also, see this sad post:

Mavic Pro 2 Recovery

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78