DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Practice Drone before flying M2 Zoom?

DukeBlueZion

Reactions
I have a new M2 Zoom. I’ve Never really seen a drone in person let alone phone or try to control one. I’m very excited about my new drone but I’m also apprehensive about crashing this thing as well. It was recommended to possibly get a practice drone so that I can learn before using my real drone I’m not really in a hurry but I do want to learn the right way.

I have never really seen a drone in person let alone flown or tried to control one. It was recommended to possibly get a practice drone so that I can learn before using my real drone I’m not really in a hurry but I do want to learn the right way.I am currently reading reading the manual, watching YT VIDEOS and reading the manual some more.

Would something like the Tello be a good one to practice with? I know it’s not going to fly like my Mavic but considering I’ve never ever flown a drone will it be similar enough for me to just get used to controlling a device like that? Someone also mentioned the eachine 58 but I figured since I own a DJI drone maybe getting the Tello would be somewhat similar.
One other quick question… In reading the message boards and doing searches I see a lot of people talking about “trimming”. I’m not really sure what that means can someone explain??

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Cheap drones don't really fly the same as fully stabilized GPS-enabled drones like the Mavic 2. I suggest you take your Mavic 2 to a wide open field and start slow with practice there.

Trimming is something that you have to do with the controllers on non-stabilized drones to keep them flying level. Not relevant to the Mavic 2 either. (there is an option in the settings to calibrate your controller on a Mavic, but you shouldn't need to do that often)

Would something like the Tello be a good one to practice with? I know it’s not going to fly like my Mavic but considering I’ve never ever flown a drone will it be similar enough for me to just get used to controlling a device like that?
That would be good practice for learning how to fly a Tello ;)

If you insist on owning a practice drone, you can find some commonly recommended practice drones here. You should have no trouble flying your Mavic 2 if it's in beginner mode (the default) and you're in a location that's free of all obstacles. At that point, you only need to worry about crashing into the ground. And it's pretty much impossible to crash into the ground while flying during the day with the downward sensors enabled.

Reactions: DukeBlueZion
That would be good practice for learning how to fly a Tello ;)

If you insist on owning a practice drone, you can find some commonly recommended practice drones here. You should have no trouble flying your Mavic 2 if it's in beginner mode (the default) and you're in a location that's free of all obstacles. At that point, you only need to worry about crashing into the ground. And it's pretty much impossible to crash into the ground while flying during the day with the downward sensors enabled.
Nice list. It looks like they moved a page on you as the "JJRC H36 Mini" is a dead link.

I have a new M2 Zoom. I’ve Never really seen a drone in person let alone phone or try to control one. I’m very excited about my new drone but I’m also apprehensive about crashing this thing as well. It was recommended to possibly get a practice drone so that I can learn before using my real drone I’m not really in a hurry but I do want to learn the right way.

I have never really seen a drone in person let alone flown or tried to control one. It was recommended to possibly get a practice drone so that I can learn before using my real drone I’m not really in a hurry but I do want to learn the right way.I am currently reading reading the manual, watching YT VIDEOS and reading the manual some more.

Would something like the Tello be a good one to practice with? I know it’s not going to fly like my Mavic but considering I’ve never ever flown a drone will it be similar enough for me to just get used to controlling a device like that? Someone also mentioned the eachine 58 but I figured since I own a DJI drone maybe getting the Tello would be somewhat similar.
One other quick question… In reading the message boards and doing searches I see a lot of people talking about “trimming”. I’m not really sure what that means can someone explain??

I am one of those that chose to get a toy to practice and learn with and now I fly little whoops all the time and my M2P rarely.
Seriously, the small drones are great for learning and still flying on bad days (indoors). The biggest thing I found with the "toy" drones is the controllers that are included are junk and make it hard to control the drone. I have an Eachine 010 that I can use with my "real" controller with and it is much easier to fly than the peanut controller that comes with it.
Its kind of like trying to learn how to play guitar on a piece of junk. You spend more time fighting the instrument than you do learning...
As others have mentioned, if you go right to the M2Z just make sure you are in a big field and all sensors are turned on. You almost can't crash and if you get in a panic, just let go of the controls and it will stop and hover and wait for your next input (gps mode). The drone pretty much flies itself, we just tell it where to go...

Last edited:
We had a similar circumstance in our drone workshop today. Two of us have Tellos, one other just got hers. A new attendee has a bigger one called "Tilt" that has no lateral hold. That was hard to control, kept drifting left and settings wouldn't let us bank right. It was a pain for me, no time to react and think that I had to land it before it drifted into the street. It has trim, but again, no time to make the adjustment.

The Tellos were stable in light wind, thanks to the downward position sensors.

Syma X5

LINK HERE

$35 and a ridiculous amount of fun. Nearly indestructible. I regularly recommend this to new flyers and not a single one has regretted buying it. No GPS. It will teach you how to fly and react (and learn small stick inputs!).

Syma is OK for what it is, but without at least altitude hold, it's hard to fly.
When I upgraded to the one that had course lock and FPV (that was useless), it had less ability to handle wind. I don't think it allowed enough pitch. I was able to bias that by taking off with a bit of pitch on the ground.

Among all the quads in that class, Syma is good and lots of parts for it. Motors burn out quickly.

Why not use DJI's Flight Simulator? It's free. This is how I got the confidence to fly.

I thought the DJI sim on my MP was kinda basic especially compared to something like horizon hobby's Real Flight simulators. I bought cheap toy type drones (that have altitude control) for flying indoor combat with other friends. While totally fun, it's a bit different flying those compared to a Mavic. At least for me with my MP, I was more intimidated by the actual operation (not stick movements during flight) and software. So with that said, at least the Tello is somewhat similar in operation compared to cheap toy quads and might help a bit. My first suggestion is to go out with somebody that has time operating DJI quads. But overall the DJI multirotors fly themselves. It's more important knowing how to correctly set up the flight such as checking IMU, compass, home point and what not. If done correctly, I agree with just finding a good open area and practice in close flying in beginner mode. I do think learning how the quad operates in ATTI mode is very important. In attitude, the quad doesn't quite fly the same and might catch you off guard if it slips into that mode. I don't know if the Mavic 2 series has an ATTI switch or option to purposely put it in that mode but research how it and how it affects flight. I didn't fully understand ATTI and I almost put it in a river once. Another time my Mavic took off and it took a bit for me to understand how to control it as it continued to climb and drift further than I anticipated.

Find a nice big empty field and spend as much time as you need in beginners mode until you feel confident enough to turn it off.

Syma X5

LINK HERE

$35 and a ridiculous amount of fun. Nearly indestructible. I regularly recommend this to new flyers and not a single one has regretted buying it. No GPS. It will teach you how to fly and react (and learn small stick inputs!).
Price has jumped to $37!!!

Where are you located?

Find a nice big empty field and spend as much time as you need in beginners mode until you feel confident enough to turn it off.
That was going to be my answer.... leave the photo part alone and just practice flying it in beginner mode and the on the 'T' setting... Slow... you will be amazed at how easy it is to fly... I still move the toggles in the wrong direction half the time but this is not a problem.. just go slow. And remember one of the cardinal drone rules and laws... it must be kept in sight.

I was in the same boat. They are easier to fly that I expected. I took a 1 hour class from a local dealer and was up and flying my Phantom 4 with no issues.

The Tello would be a good place to start. I started with a Holystone HS-160. The thing is pretty much indestructible. I agree that the Mavic is easier to fly BUT any mistake could be a very costly mistake while learning the basics of left/right stick control, depth perception (nearness to objects as you're flying), opposite controls when you're flying towards yourself, becoming more aggressive in your flying, etc.

Another issue not mentioned is weather. I can fly the Holystone indoors. It's small, agile, doesn't require GPS and while you're in a confined space you're still get some practice handling the control on days when you can't fly outside.

For these reasons I highly recommend getting a small, less expensive drone to gain some experience.

The Mavic is going to be significantly easier to fly than any beginner drone.
It only takes 5 minutes to learn the basics anyway.
The important things to learn are how the DJI drone is programmed and the cheap toy drones won't help there.

Reactions: dronerdave
I started with an echine 511. $120. Surprisingly stable, but very fragile. The MA is a beast in comparison and obstacle avoidance is life insurance. If you fly cautiously you should be fine.

OK guys I have had to delete lots of post in this because of 2 members . If I got your post it was because it was in connection with their foolishness going at each other and am sorry.

@Meta4 and @2edgesword I would highly suggest you put each other on ignore before it gets one or both of you in trouble here. Do Not post in this thread any more .

Now carry on you guys but stay civil .

Reactions: BigAl07

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78