DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision Landing - Mini 2

ColinSpice

Reactions
I'm a little disappointed that the Mavic Mini 2 can see so many satellites, but seems to be incapable of landing anywhere near accurately.

My previous experience with the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual is great, takes off from landing pad, and when you use RTH, it lands back on the pad flawlessly every time, and it doesn't see as many satellites as the mini. (Captures picture from downward sensor?)

The Mini 2 seems to land anywhere up to 20 feet away from the take off point, which seems a shame when it can potentially record its position pretty accurately, so returning to that location should be straightforward.

the actual number of sats does not make any difference once you have the green light thats its ok to take off ,try doing a IMU and Compass calibration ,and then see if it improves

I'm a little disappointed that the Mavic Mini 2 can see so many satellites, but seems to be incapable of landing anywhere near accurately.

My previous experience with the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual is great, takes off from landing pad, and when you use RTH, it lands back on the pad flawlessly every time, and it doesn't see as many satellites as the mini. (Captures picture from downward sensor?)

The Mini 2 seems to land anywhere up to 20 feet away from the take off point, which seems a shame when it can potentially record its position pretty accurately, so returning to that location should be straightforward.
I noticed that more often than not we have to start to take off before the home point is actually recorded , so many times we just dont stick around long enough for the Precision process to take place as its just to slow a process.

The Mavic 2 gives us the Home point much quicker while were on the ground and that may be the difference that an having to wait and hover for the process to take place . Process meaning for it to take that picture. .

The Mini 2 had quite a few updates so its not perfect yet , we just got the Sensor Fixed where it kept going up if the sensor was covered. I think they will keep tweaking it and the GPS location Process also and maybe add the Precision landing .

The fact that the Mavic 2 has to take a picture to enable precision landing is proof that GPS is not exact so having it land 5 or 6 ft away is the average.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.

Last edited:
Does not the "precision landing" of the Mavic2's rely on optical sensors, getting a good 'picture' of the landing site as the drone climbs, rather than GPS? That said 20ft does seem a bit out, my MM seems to be heading for, at a guess, within 6ft, as a general rule, before I take over. (I rarely auto land)

Does not the "precision landing" of the Mavic2's rely on optical sensors, getting a good 'picture' of the landing site as the drone climbs, rather than GPS? That said 20ft does seem a bit out, my MM seems to be heading for, at a guess, within 6ft, as a general rule, before I take over. (I rarely auto land)
it really appears that the picture process is a bit more secure that the GPS process as my home point does not record until i take off most times. The mavic 2 is much better at securing the home point on the ground but not sure why.

HP is set first as soon as GPS lock is established, and again when you TO. If you don't have GPS on TO, then HP will be set wherever AC when GPS lock is established, so don't take off until you have GPS.

M2 originally didn't have PL until 6 months after release. Before PL I found landing to be about 5 ft off much of the time. P3A seemed to be closer to target. After PL it starts out off target, but as it descends it homes in. You need to go straight up about 20ft for PL to take effect. You do not need to hover.

Mini doesn't have PL. I have found it can take a minute or so to get GPS on first flight. Subsequent flights right after are quick to get lock. It may actually be IMU warming up that's holding it up disguised as GPS delay.

Consumer GPS is only accurate to around 2m so it is quite reasonable to expect the mini 1 and 2 to land over a meter away from the takeoff point. Sometimes it'll do better and some times it'll do worse, regardless of how many satellites it is using.

If you're near taller buildings you can get the satellite signals reflected off the sides of buildings which can reduce accuracy.

My sentiments exactly. When the M2 series first came out they didn’t have precision landing either but DJI eventually added it in an update. Now my Mini 2 like yours on RTH is usually several feet off the pad. So much so that I have to take over manually on the final landing as I am flying from dusty/rocky ground. Perhaps a future update will fix this problem!?

I am thinking the accuracy of the GPS system for civilian is around 35 feet. And a precision landing needs gps sat to get back to the home location then the down sensors dial in the landing by comparison of what the drone saw below it during takeoff and compared to what the drone sees below it during the landing. Maybe they will add it with a firmware update some day

When I am expecting to use RTH and or precision landing my routine is hovering at 3 feet and then again at exactly 15 feet with a minimum of 10 sats then the landing is always within inches on my pad. If I do the standard take off hover and just whip away to what ever I am looking to scout, then my landing could be 5 feet off.

WDK

The mini landing isn’t the same as the Mavic drone landings
I was conveying my process but with the mini it’s basically a mute point because the mini does not have precision landing. What I have suggested is just something to try.

WDK

New to the Forum - We’re expecting a lot from these little but amazing Mini 2’s! Consumer GPS products are accurate to within 3-5 metres in ideal conditions, which matches your experience. This accuracy is dependant on the signal quality received via any interference to the signal, the receiver quality and even the software. Long as it comes back when needed and I can land it, I’m a happy pilot with the drone.

The Mini 2 receives all three types of GPS signals worldwide, but not the latest L5 signal processing (to my knowledge) which increases accuracy to ~0.3 metres and a relatively new (late 2018) technology. Cost may be a factor in more using these on lower end drones where 3 metres may be acceptable margins. We’ll start to see improvements to this issue as the algorithms get better on these little guys!

Reactions: raymairjr
My MM2 is also never on the mark on return
Usually 2m off
Not that I worry about it as I always cancel RTH as it starts its desend and hand catch

I am also very impressed with mine.
A question for you experts
How far out of sight can the MM2 stay connected
Example
I live in remote country setting and have no restrictions from industry or civilization etc
But the terrain is hilly.
If I fly over a ridge approx 800m away (so the Drone will not be in line of sight anymore) will I maintain signal and connection ??

The radio frequencies used in the transmitter are very much 'line of sight and don't bend around things like hills and buildings very well. If the drone goes behind a hill at 800m distance you'll fairly quickly lose signal.

The radio frequencies used in the transmitter are very much 'line of sight and don't bend around things like hills and buildings very well. If the drone goes behind a hill at 800m distance you'll fairly quickly lose signal.

Thanks - I was thinking that would be the case
So - when I lose signal what happens
Does the AC stop - wait 10sec and then RTH ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi