DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Privacy? Are you kidding me?

TrayBoz

Reactions
NEWSFLASH: There is a free website that's accessible to everyone in the world that has photos of your house, your backyard, your front yard, your neighborhood, your school, your pool, your car if it was parked in the driveway, and your office! It's called GOOGLE MAPS - look it up! Using Street View I can usually see your front door and your garage door. - I like to remind people of this when they start throwing that "Privacy Issue" crap at me regarding drones.

I've noticed most people vastly over-estimate the camera capabilities on the mavic. I guess they've been watching too many movies/TV shows.

I was flying in my neighborhood park yesterday and a passing speed-walker stopped as she passed and asked the standard question: "Does that have a camera on it?"

I said Yes, and realized she was smiling and asking out of curiosity instead of paranoia. She asked if she could look at my iPad - "Is that what you see from the camera?" So I showed her the iPad up close and her response was typical: "Oh Wow... is that what you see?? That's really cool, but it's not very good for spying" - she laughed.

This is not the first time I've found that most people are surprised by the limited amount of detail delivered by that tiny camera.

I wish there was a good way we could all get the word out there loud and clear: No one is spying on you through your windows with a mavic from 100's of feet away! (And I'd like to add, "You're probably not that interesting anyway.”)

Another neighbor told me last April: "My wife's afraid someone's looking through our windows from a drone she saw flying outside."
I said, "Was the drone hovering right outside her window?"
He said, "NO, it was flying over the park across the street over there."
I said, "Your wife should be more concerned about binoculars than drones."

Even if I'm flying DIRECTLY OVER YOU at 80 feet up, I can't really distinguish your face from anyone else with the mavic.

We're living in a bad time to be paranoid about privacy. If you're that concerned, ditch your cell phone, your computer, your GPS, your drone, your toll-tag, your credit card, your checking account, your doctor appointments, and your SS#. And don't walk down any street in any major city or your face will be captured by multiple cameras and put into a database with state-of-the-art face recognition software accessibility. (Watch the documentary on how they caught the Boston Marathon Bombers so quickly).

I’m sorry to crush your dreams of privacy, but between the Internet, Google, Facebook, and Amazon, there is someone out there that can find out where you are, where you live, where you work or go to school, what your grades are, where your kids are, how much you make, what you wear, everyone you’ve ever screwed, what you eat, where you shop, your current health status, who you voted for, your medical conditions, your military service, what you drive, where you travel, what you buy, what your sexual preferences are, what your hobbies are, who you call, who your friends and family are, who you talk to, your political beliefs, how you spend your money, what you look like, where to find you now, what Internet forums you’re on, and probably whether or not you’ve ever read this post. - IF anyone cares, which they probably don’t.

Unless you’ve managed to live your entire life “off-the-grid” somehow, your life is an open book, and I don’t think one flying camera is going to change that.

BTW - cover up that camera on the lid of your laptop with a piece of tape. I can see you right now.

And stop being so paranoid. That knock at the door is probably just the UPS guy.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
BTW - cover up that camera on the lid of your laptop with a piece of tape. I can see you right now.
IMG_8915.GIF

NEWSFLASH: There is a free website that's accessible to everyone in the world that has photos of your house, your backyard, your front yard, your neighborhood, your school, your pool, your car if it was parked in the driveway, and your office! It's called GOOGLE MAPS - look it up!

Apple Maps, Bing, Duck Duck Goo, MotionX, dozens of free map programs can zoom in closer than Google lets you view.

Reactions: Yam25
NEWSFLASH: There is a free website that's accessible to everyone in the world that has photos of your house, your backyard, your front yard, your neighborhood, your school, your pool, your car if it was parked in the driveway, and your office! It's called GOOGLE MAPS - look it up! Using Street View I can usually see your front door and your garage door. - I like to remind people of this when they start throwing that "Privacy Issue" crap at me regarding drones.

I've noticed most people vastly over-estimate the camera capabilities on the mavic. I guess they've been watching too many movies/TV shows.

I was flying in my neighborhood park yesterday and a passing speed-walker stopped as she passed and asked the standard question: "Does that have a camera on it?"

I said Yes, and realized she was smiling and asking out of curiosity instead of paranoia. She asked if she could look at my iPad - "Is that what you see from the camera?" So I showed her the iPad up close and her response was typical: "Oh Wow... is that what you see?? That's really cool, but it's not very good for spying" - she laughed.

This is not the first time I've found that most people are surprised by the limited amount of detail delivered by that tiny camera.

I wish there was a good way we could all get the word out there loud and clear: No one is spying on you through your windows with a mavic from 100's of feet away! (And I'd like to add, "You're probably not that interesting anyway.”)

Another neighbor told me last April: "My wife's afraid someone's looking through our windows from a drone she saw flying outside."

Even if I'm flying DIRECTLY OVER YOU at 80 feet up, I can't really distinguish your face from anyone else with the mavic.

We're living in a bad time to be paranoid about privacy. If you're that concerned, ditch your cell phone, your computer, your GPS, your drone, your toll-tag, your credit card, your checking account, your doctor appointments, and your SS#. And don't walk down any street in any major city or your face will be captured by multiple cameras and put it into a database with state-of-the-art face recognition software accessibility. (Watch the documentary on how they caught the Boston Marathon Bombers so quickly).

I’m sorry to crush your dreams of privacy, but between the Internet, Google, Facebook, and Amazon, there is someone out there that can find out where you are, where you live, where you work or go to school, what your grades are, where your kids are, how much you make, what you wear, everyone you’ve ever screwed, what you eat, where you shop, your current health status, who you voted for, your medical conditions, your military service, what you drive, where you travel, what you buy, what your sexual preferences are, what your hobbies are, who you call, who your friends and family are, who you talk to, your political beliefs, how you spend your money, what you look like, where to find you now, what Internet forums you’re on, and probably whether or not you’ve ever read this post. - IF anyone cares, which they probably don’t.

Unless you’ve managed to live your entire life “off-the-grid” somehow, your life is an open book, and I don’t think one flying camera is going to change that.

And stop being so paranoid. That knock at the door is probably just the UPS guy.

giphy.gif
If you haven't copyrighted this rant I would like to use it on my next rants that seem to be more often concerning this subject. Today on FB a friend found a toy drone in his driveway this morning. Now the drone had a 400 foot range cause I looked up the specs but the comments were it was a spy drone spying on him to see if he was home to break in. If it's a drone it has to be something negative and evil.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I'm sorry to say that privacy is a complete illusion. It would scare the bejesus out of you if you knew what type of private / deeply personal information I can buy, for a few bucks, all legally sold by credit reporting companies.

My purposes are legitimate but I can only imagine the unscrupulous and their uses for such information, let alone governments and sophisticated bad actors.

I gave up a long time ago thinking my information was truly private. Sad but true.

Reactions: Rbruz
I sell Information everyday for $35.00 I can give you a report on anyone that goes back 25 years and looks up their butt with a proctoscope. So much for privacy.

Reactions: ladrhog
The real problem is that the politicians (who supposedly work for us) don't want to pass appropriate laws to protect our privacy. The technology is there to build effective privacy in, but the will to use it not. We could start with the principle that when you provide your info to a business, it is to be used ONLY to the extent necessary to provide the service/product.
...and BTW, an IP address -IS- personal info, since it can be used to identify you.

My personal rant on this subject usually asks the question; “do you have a camera on your phone? Can you reach above a 6 foot fence?” And let’s not get into the spying possibilities of a selfi stick.....

When this happens to me { when I had a small drone } I told people who I didnt know this ..

id put my hand up and say sorry can you pleas step away this is official business and you would not believe how many people said sorry and walked off with that look

View attachment 26669
I'll have to remember this one :eek:... In 4 years of flying drones, I've just never been approached by someone throwing a fit. Whenever I see someone heading my way, I smile and say, "Hi." ~ before they say anything. I don't know if this breaks the tension ~but no one has ever approached me pissed off. I guess I've just been lucky...

We're living in a bad time to be paranoid about privacy. If you're that concerned, ditch your cell phone, your computer, your GPS, your drone, your toll-tag, your credit card, your checking account, your doctor appointments, and your SS#. And don't walk down any street in any major city or your face will be captured by multiple cameras and put into a database with state-of-the-art face recognition software accessibility. (Watch the documentary on how they caught the Boston Marathon Bombers so quickly).

giphy.gif

Spot on, thank you.

Reactions: ksmusa
The reason satellites such as Google and whatnot can do what they do without privacy issues is because their intentions are not for “spying.” And because their photos and about a year behind the present date, it kinda works around the whole privacy thing.
Google maps is what, early 2017 at the moment?

giphy.gif
Lol, well said. I've had people ask to see my screen too, as you said, amazed by the view, but suprissed you can't see more. Seriously, I fly a fpv quad that does 70 mph, what do you think I'm looking at ?

The reason satellites such as Google and whatnot can do what they do without privacy issues is because their intentions are not for “spying.” And because their photos and about a year behind the present date, it kinda works around the whole privacy thing.
Google maps is what, early 2017 at the moment?
Hmm, I recently used Google maps and see a van I hired just a few months previously parked outside my home. But in any case, I'm sure they wasn't spying on me...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+