DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Privledge not a right

I can only imagine way this planet would be like without some kind of law and regulation...I as well would like less regulation but people need to be held accountable for their actions
At the risk of straying too far into the weeds (but then it's your thread, so I suppose I'm OK :)): to be opposed to government regulation is not necessarily to be opposed to regulation in general, or to holding people accountable for their actions. You are correct that without "some kind of law and regulation," life would be quite unpleasant. The good news is that most people don't want to hurt others, if for no other reason than they know they will be shunned by their neighbors and thus forced into a life of isolation and relative poverty. If a vast number of people wanted to kill, assault and steal, they would be doing it right now to their hearts' content, because despite all its bluster, government does a pathetic job of keeping us safe. If someone really means to do you immediate harm, the government will never be there to protect you. Never.

Reactions: Classic flyer
At the risk of straying too far into the weeds (but then it's your thread, so I suppose I'm OK :)): to be opposed to government regulation is not necessarily to be opposed to regulation in general, or to holding people accountable for their actions. You are correct that without "some kind of law and regulation," life would be quite unpleasant. The good news is that most people don't want to hurt others, if for no other reason than they know they will be shunned by their neighbors and thus forced into a life of isolation and relative poverty. If a vast number of people wanted to kill, assault and steal, they would be doing it right now to their hearts' content, because despite all its bluster, government does a pathetic job of keeping us safe. If someone really means to do you immediate harm, the government will never be there to protect you. Never.
I agree 100%....the law is only for the law abiding

my opinion coming from a film perspective is drones have no place in the general population for entertainment purposes.

after study, a large portion of users are not prepared to do the research before flying to properly "take control" of their craft, learn its limits, and the most dangerous people in my opinion are the ones who say "i know i know, im stupid"

my opinion coming from a film perspective is drones have no place in the general population for entertainment purposes.

after study, a large portion of users are not prepared to do the research before flying to properly "take control" of their craft, learn its limits, and the most dangerous people in my opinion are the ones who say "i know i know, im stupid"
I'm with you on the 2nd part of your reply

...my opinion coming from a film perspective is drones have no place in the general population for entertainment purposes...

What you mean by "coming from a film perspective?" What unique experience do you have that makes you believe there should be no hobby flights by anyone, anywhere?

My April issue of BMFA (British Model Flying Association) News just arrived and their drone related coverage has increased yet again. Their acknowledgement of these 'easy to fly' craft as a hobby should be congratulated. But I digress ...
The real eye-opener is an in depth feature by BMFA CEO Dave Phipps, reporting on the EMFU (European Model Flying Association) Conference on drones held in Helsinki with 500 delegates from 40 countries. People like FEDEX /UPS/DHL. They are all working together on regulation to keep the skies safe as they all agree these skies are about to get very busy very quickly. The age of unmanned delivery craft and 'Blade Runner' taxis is just around the corner.
The next cave dweller (I'm being polite here) who joins this or any thread shouting about their RIGHTS is living in a fool's paradise and should simply WAKE UP and GROW UP!
And stop flying now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Qoncussion
My April issue of BMFA (British Model Flying Association) News just arrived and their drone related coverage has increased yet again. Their acknowledgement of these 'easy to fly' craft as a hobby should be congratulated. But I digress ...
The real eye-opener is an in depth feature by BMFA CEO Dave Phipps, reporting on the EMFU (European Model Flying Association) Conference on drones held in Helsinki with 500 delegates from 40 countries. People like FEDEX /UPS/DHL. They are all working together on regulation to keep the skies safe as they all agree these skies are about to get very busy very quickly. The age of unmanned delivery craft and 'Blade Runner' taxis is just around the corner.
The next cave dweller (I'm being polite here) who joins this or any thread shouting about their RIGHTS is living in a fool's paradise and should simply WAKE UP and GROW UP!
And stop flying now!
I'm not sure if you agree that it's a Privledge we are about to loose or not

I'm not sure if you agree that it's a Privledge we are about to loose or not
We're about to lose it?! Please back that up with some links and verifiable information. You sound scared, like you must behave a certain way or mom will take your toys away. That's not a rip! I promise you. Whether it be a privilege, a right or just a passing fad (not) - I enjoy every minute of flying, and will adapt to changes as they come... But, lose it...? Na.

Big companies like Google, Amazon, FedEx and UPS are on our side. In the US, at least, money always wins. I think the next thing we'll see (not too soon) is Congress giving control back to the FAA, to manage the multitude of drones that ARE COMING.

We're about to lose it?! Please back that up with some links and verifiable information. You sound scared, like you must behave a certain way or mom will take your toys away. That's not a rip! I promise you. Whether it be a privilege, a right or just a passing fad (not) - I enjoy every minute of flying, and will adapt to changes as they come... But, lose it...? Na.

Big companies like Google, Amazon, FedEx and UPS are on our side. In the US, at least, money always wins. I think the next thing we'll see (not too soon) is Congress giving control back to the FAA, to manage the multitude of drones that ARE COMING.
I hear what you're saying...I interpreted him meaning the "BIG DOGS" were going to run usins off...we as droners need to have some representation the AMA gives us some but is more for the fixed wing guys

I'm pleased YOU get it. It should never have been described as a privilege. That simply confused some people. We've all been flying (most of us responsibly) in a short window of unregulated opportunity. Regulation IS coming and when it makes our activities safer and potentially saves lives then it should be welcomed.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
I'm pleased YOU get it. It should never have been described as a privilege. That's simply confused some people. We've all been flying (most of us responsibly) in a short window of unregulated opportunity. Regulation IS coming and when it makes our activities safer and potentially saves lives then it should be welcomed.
I as well welcome good regulation

Reactions: sar104
And stop flying now!
I'm just curious if you are required to register your drones there

It's the sad minority further down the food chain that are the niggling problem
I'm afraid they are not a minority anymore. The number of people that impulsively buys a drone and just does whatever he wants, pushing his drone to the limits, just 'because he can', is rapidly catching up, or already outnumbering old fashioned responsible pilots. Almost every post on this forum about a 'fly away' or RTH crash is because of flying miles beyond VLOS, for instance.

I'm afraid they are not a minority anymore. The number of people that impulsively buys a drone and just does whatever he wants, pushing his drone to the limits, just 'because he can', is rapidly catching up, or already outnumbering old fashioned responsible pilots. Almost every post on this forum about a 'fly away' or RTH crash is because of flying miles beyond VLOS, for instance.
Al in the name of "COOLNESS"... I know COOL people and I know dumbass people but I don't know any cool dumdasses

I'm just curious if you are required to register your drones there
Not by law. Not yet. But things are going to change very quickly. My hope is that changes will focus on safety and responsible flyers recognise that. And anyone who's still upset about having their 'rights' interfered with, take a tent and their drone up into grizzly bear country and fly there.

Not by law. Not yet. But things are going to change very quickly. My hope is that changes will focus on safety and responsible flyers recognise that. And anyone who's still upset about having their 'rights' interfered with, take a tent and their drone up into grizzly bear country and fly there.
I like it bro...LMAO

And stop flying now!

The BMFA website includes this statement under list of "achievements:"

Unfortunately, internal club disputes are relatively common and we are often called on to advise or mediate, several recently have escalated to the point of legal actions not to mention alleged and actual physical assaults requiring Police involvement.

These RC plane flyers seem to be a very dangerous and violent bunch.

Flying our drones, much like driving is a Privledge and not a right and can be taken away from us at any time for a number of reasons. The drone community is under great scrutiny from many. When people do stupid things with their drones because they think it's "COOL" and want to post them for the world to see only gives the community a black eye, and gives ammunition for the anti-droners to revoke that Privledge or add more restrictions. I for one enjoy flying my drone and don't want to loose that privledge because of people doing things they know they shouldn't all in the name of "COOLNESS". Safety is paramount . Flying "modified" aircraft in public places is not only unsafe, but stupid! When someone gets hurt or property gets damaged we as a community pay the price for the actions of the "RECKLESS FEW" and that is not "COOL" and unacceptable! Thank you and let's hear your thoughts on the subject.

So then I guess this is unacceptable?

EarthHoax.jpg

Can anyone help me? I lost my drone in my neighborhood and am looking to see if another pilot is willing to do a flight search

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miss Blue