DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Privledge not a right

Obviously Mr Ghost is on here to wind everyone up....but he has the right of free speech, and I defend his right to use it, but obviously no responsibility of how to use it.
Very amusing! So here goes, I’ll stick my head above the parapet. Boom...
Indeed it is a right, after all you’ve paid for the drone, so why not do what the **** you like regardless of the consequences to anyone else?
Along with those rights are responsibilities. Responsibilities for the safety of others, on the ground, in the air, wherever, responsibility to the rest of the flying community to fly safely in order not to have draconian rules imposed on the hobby thro the actions of the idiot few who say they have rights.
There is a moral responsibility not always understood by those touting their so called rights. I understand it is a right to bear arms in the USA, (2nd Amendment). You can go into Walmart and if you have enough ‘green backs’ and after a cooling off period, walk away with unbelievable weapons able to kill, maim & inflict untold misery, but it’s a responsibility not to do that. It’s a responsibility to learn about the weapon, shoot responsibly in the right place and time. If you don’t take responsibility for your actions, then the laws put in place, to protect others from irresponsibility and idiocy will kick in. Example. You can walk around the woods, dressed in camouflage clothing with a rifle but try walking down any high street like that and you’ll soon find out the difference between rights and responsibilities.
Having said all that, I applaud those adventurers who modify, try new ideas, test theories, improving and refining their inventions.
Without these brave adventurers of the past, present and future using their own time and money most of the greatest inventions/ideas-would probably never have been found if they were shackled by draconian laws. It is up to everyone to be responsible.
Thank you.
Hear hear.
Good luck.

Yes they do, but in general people drive cars and are not going to rock the boat for more strict rules for themselves, so that will reflect back again on the violations perpetrated.
Where as in the drone world and IMHO people do not drive drones to work or go shopping with them, so opinions are quickly formed and frenzy is in the making.
What to do?
How to control the outbreak or increase of plain unaware first time uninformed users to the morons that flout the laws that we don't hold to ourselves?
Let's be honest here, an example set is an example taken.
You tube is full of videos posted by experienced and "responsible" operators showing flights that are not acceptable or rather daring, and too, some are well planned and safe, but no matter what we do or don't do, there always will be those who just will not give a hoot about any of it, fly stupid and do damage and get away with it.
Clubs, rulings, laws and fees will not stop it and we don't want "drone cops" either.

So I just sneak out to very private places and ply my hobby in the hope that I can still do this for a little while before it gets too expensive and beyond my ability to cope with compliance and safety rules like wearing reflective headbands, finger bands, flashing boots and balloon like signs depicting angry faced drones while having to blast an air horn every ten seconds.

It is what it is and it will not get better, so work on the privelige and put out an example of righteous law abiding flying and hope some cool way will found to deal with it all.
My 2 zinks.
Thanx for your in put sir...and thanx again for putting safety first

Only thing that happens is you buy a month worth of insurance, renew your license, and cancel the policy. Good to go for 11 months. Lots of people do that.
I never understood having to buy uninsured motorist insurance. Why should I have to buy insurance to protect me against some idiot that abuses the system? Same with having to acquire a license to fly my drone or buy a firearm. I try and do what is right and it gets me no more privileges than someone who flys illegally and unsafely.
It's just another punish all the responsible people because of idiots.
Anyone trying to trick the system in this way deserves to be caught and with smart highways opening up every day they will be. Don't allow another jerk's irresponsible actions influence your behavior and responsibilities

Last edited:
Reactions: Classic flyer
When I take my MP out I remember Sir Isaac Newton (What goes up must come down). I then think, "Would I be upset if someone's drone came spiraling down from 100 meters and hit me on the head? How would I feel if MY drone slammed into a child's head?" I keep my MP in sight (meaning I can actually see my drone--even if just a little speck) unless I am over open water. One day some dolt will crash their drone into the windshield of a car on a highway because they wanted to get a cool nighttime shot and the whole industry will get slammed. Self-policing is not an option because Congress deemed decades ago that the FAA rules the air. We can provide advice in an organized manner. But from my perspective the best thing I can do is practice safe droning and when showing others how to use a drone (or letting them try mine) I always emphasize safety and responsibility.

When I take my MP out I remember Sir Isaac Newton (What goes up must come down). I then think, "Would I be upset if someone's drone came spiraling down from 100 meters and hit me on the head? How would I feel if MY drone slammed into a child's head?" I keep my MP in sight (meaning I can actually see my drone--even if just a little speck) unless I am over open water. One day some dolt will crash their drone into the windshield of a car on a highway because they wanted to get a cool nighttime shot and the whole industry will get slammed. Self-policing is not an option because Congress deemed decades ago that the FAA rules the air. We can provide advice in an organized manner. But from my perspective the best thing I can do is practice safe droning and when showing others how to use a drone (or letting them try mine) I always emphasize safety and responsibility.
Thanx for taking safety seriously

the best thing I can do is practice safe droning and when showing others how to use a drone (or letting them try mine) I always emphasize safety and responsibility.

100% agreed! once you put it that way - i realize some of the rules that apply to firearms also apply to drones. don't take off unless you know it's safe & know, 100% where you're pointing it. i'm trying to work "booger hook off the bang switch" in there somewhere - but it's been a long day!

100% agreed! once you put it that way - i realize some of the rules that apply to firearms also apply to drones. don't take off unless you know it's safe & know, 100% where you're pointing it. i'm trying to work "booger hook off the bang switch" in there somewhere - but it's been a long day!
Awsome analogy...if only everyone thought about it that way

Hats off to you! If our whole community were made up of flyers like yourself, then we wouldn't even be discussing this issue. It's the sad minority further down the food chain that are the niggling problem here that most of us fear as a ticking time bomb. The more I think about the 'Compulsory Insurance' idea, the more I believe it will be a positive start. Not because it will offer cover in case of an accident and not because it would be a great image boost to the droning community. The real value will be the hidden benefit of making people THINK before they fly. Not everyone i agree but if it started to make more people THINK than do at the moment......that would be a start...Yes?

Hats off to you! If our whole community were made up of flyers like yourself, then we wouldn't even be discussing this issue. It's the sad minority further down the food chain that are the niggling problem here that most of us fear as a ticking time bomb. The more I think about the 'Compulsory Insurance' idea, the more I believe it will be a positive start. Not because it will offer cover in case of an accident and not because it would be a great image boost to the droning community. The real value will be the hidden benefit of making people THINK before they fly. Not everyone i agree but if it started to make more people THINK than do at the moment......that would be a start...Yes?
Absolutely agree with you...it definitely would be a start in the right direction

Personally I dislike anything "compulsory" plus you are thinking of a US mentality and drones are global. I didn't want to touch the comparison with pistols and rifles but since I has been offered I will say that I fully agree with the analogy. Both can be deadly when used for the wrong purpose or without proper training. Going back to my Sir Isaac Newton quote, around 1985 some guy was walking down a street in Brooklyn, NY when a bullet slammed into the top of his head. It was later determined that some jerk shot a bullet into the air completely forgetting that "what goes up must come down."

Personally I dislike anything "compulsory" plus you are thinking of a US mentality and drones are global. I didn't want to touch the comparison with pistols and rifles but since I has been offered I will say that I fully agree with the analogy. Both can be deadly when used for the wrong purpose or without proper training. Going back to my Sir Isaac Newton quote, around 1985 some guy was walking down a street in Brooklyn, NY when a bullet slammed into the top of his head. It was later determined that some jerk shot a bullet into the air completely forgetting that "what goes up must come down."
I hear what you say and I'm sure any initiative will kick off in one country and take time to catch on in others. Best we not bring 'gun laws' in at this point. Here in the UK £25m worth of third party cover cost me £34 for the whole year. And yes.....it does make me stop think sometimes about how I fly.

Absolutely agree with you...it definitely would be a start in the right direction
I'm going to disagree, absolutely. If insurance is a prerequisite - those who don't care, also won't have insurance. Zero sum.

Reactions: RolandW
I'm going to disagree, absolutely. If insurance is a prerequisite - those who don't care, also won't have insurance. Zero sum.
True that but much like people who drive with no insurance when they get busted they would pay$$$ a steap fine.. also you could have to prove insurance to register your drone...just a thought

There are many ways to enforce it...If not today then certainly in the not too distant future
I think you're right. I don't believe that the FAA would ever have the resources to enforce this, but someone (DJI?) would find a way to build it into the FW.

So you don't care about children on boats? ;)

Good discussion everybody. I haven't had time to fly much lately, but I really need to get out there as often as possible while I still can. Like many of you, I fear it's only a matter of time before some mouth-breather trying to get his Spark into low earth orbit brings down an airliner.
But if you yearn for government to preempt such a catastrophe, be careful what you wish for. Legislation is done by politicians, and always for political reasons. Politics is a cesspool: a festering, zero-sum racket where the scum always rises to the top, and the only way to get something is to take it away from somebody else through threats of violence.

I can only imagine way this planet would be like without some kind of law and regulation...I as well would like less regulation but people need to be held accountable for their actions

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb