DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Privledge not a right

I don't think it's the modders we have to worry about so much as the outright stupid things people do on a daily basis.
The ones that kill me are the people that immediately test the distance range, and get upset at losing the drone at 2 miles, out of eye sight, etc., and want a replacement right away. Sheesh.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Ok that being said can you show us where it says we have "right" to fly, or drive...in the U.S we have the Bill of Rights and there's nothing there about either!?
You do not understand rights and the Constitution. Rights pre-exist government. The Constitution does not grant rights; rights are something that human beings have when they are born, government or no government. What the Bill of Rights does is to spell out restrictions on the central government's power to infringe on those rights.
The rights of the people are infinite and do not have to be written down. Hence, just because the rights to fly a drone or drive a car are not mentioned in the constitution, it doesn't mean we don't have those rights.
The powers of the government are supposed to be limited, and they do have to be written down. Of course in practice, this is not the case in 21st Century America. Mention the Tenth Amendment to a D.C. politician or bureaucrat and he will double over laughing.

i fly weekly for a client located 500' from the end of the runway at a regional airport. i am in a 0' NFZ. i call the tower, schedule my flight, do my business, call again & tell them i'm on the ground & go home. easy-peasy. with updated dji firmware, it's a gothic PITA.

i bought it, let me fly it. if i speed in my car, i can get a ticket. ford doesn't keep me from going 90 mph.

Reactions: rfc
Flying our drones, much like driving is a Privledge and not a right and can be taken away from us at any time for a number of reasons. The drone community is under great scrutiny from many. When people do stupid things with their drones because they think it's "COOL" and want to post them for the world to see only gives the community a black eye, and gives ammunition for the anti-droners to revoke that Privledge or add more restrictions. I for one enjoy flying my drone and don't want to loose that privledge because of people doing things they know they shouldn't all in the name of "COOLNESS". Safety is paramount . Flying "modified" aircraft in public places is not only unsafe, but stupid! When someone gets hurt or property gets damaged we as a community pay the price for the actions of the "RECKLESS FEW" and that is not "COOL" and unacceptable! Thank you and let's hear your thoughts on the subject.
I must say, this notion that such-and-such is a privilege and not a right is sickening. It assumes that the government owns you, and you may only do the things that it specifically allows you to do. Sadly, this has become the American way: Let's all cower in the corner until the government gives us permission to do something.

Reactions: Qoncussion
You do not understand rights and the Constitution. Rights pre-exist government. The Constitution does not grant rights; rights are something that human beings have when they are born, government or no government. What the Bill of Rights does is to spell out restrictions on the central government's power to infringe on those rights.
The rights of the people are infinite and do not have to be written down. Hence, just because the rights to fly a drone or drive a car are not mentioned in the constitution, it doesn't mean we don't have those rights.
The powers of the government are supposed to be limited, and they do have to be written down. Of course in practice, this is not the case in 21st Century America. Mention the Tenth Amendment to a D.C. politician or bureaucrat and he will double over laughing.
I hear what you are saying but if you go to court for let's say a DUI the court suspends you're driving Privledges

classic flyer - true. but Nissan doesn't automatically shut your car down if you've had a beer. you have to break a law FIRST - THEN face punishment. innocent until proven guilty & all that.

something that roland and those of us from the US need to remember it there are many here from other countries that aren't used to the same freedoms we enjoy here. DJI thinks nothing of having complete governmental control of their lives. that's why we should push back against DJI control of our property and not just say "well, it's for the good of the community", etc.

to continue the analogy, when cars first arrived on the scene - there was no drivers license, no headlights, no turn signals. laws came & grew over time.

classic flyer - true. but Nissan doesn't automatically shut your car down if you've had a beer. you have to break a law FIRST - THEN face punishment. innocent until proven guilty & all that.

something that roland and those of us from the US need to remember it there are many here from other countries that aren't used to the same freedoms we enjoy here. DJI thinks nothing of having complete governmental control of their lives. that's why we should push back against DJI control of our property and not just say "well, it's for the good of the community", etc.

to continue the analogy, when cars first arrived on the scene - there was no drivers license, no headlights, no turn signals. laws came & grew over time.[/Q. Yummmm beer

Wow, it's truly frightening that people are OK with a mandatory kill switch to be used at the discretion of the government's armed enforcers. What else would you want these on? Your car? Firearms? How about one on your microwave just in case you try to make something unhealthy for dinner?
You already have it on your car. Try forgetting to pay your insurance and see what happens.
Any incentive that encourages and shows a more responsible group of users is a positive start - I think we all agree on that.
I believe that compulsory third party insurance would not only increase user's awareness as to their responsibilities but imagine if every drone in the skies was insured. Not a bad thing on so many different levels. If you agree with these points then you shouldn't have any any problem with it being enforced in some way

You already have it on your car. Try forgetting to pay your insurance and see what happens.
Any incentive that encourages and shows a more responsible group of users is a positive start - I think we all agree on that.
I believe that compulsory third party insurance would not only increase user's awareness as to their responsibilities but imagine if every drone in the skies was insured. Not a bad thing on so many different levels. If you agree with these points then you shouldn't have any any problem with it being enforced in some way
Rite-on my brother

Only thing that happens is you buy a month worth of insurance, renew your license, and cancel the policy. Good to go for 11 months. Lots of people do that.
I never understood having to buy uninsured motorist insurance. Why should I have to buy insurance to protect me against some idiot that abuses the system? Same with having to acquire a license to fly my drone or buy a firearm. I try and do what is right and it gets me no more privileges than someone who flys illegally and unsafely.
It's just another punish all the responsible people because of idiots.

Only thing that happens is you buy a month worth of insurance, renew your license, and cancel the policy. Good to go for 11 months. Lots of people do that.
I never understood having to buy uninsured motorist insurance. Why should I have to buy insurance to protect me against some idiot that abuses the system? Same with having to acquire a license to fly my drone or buy a firearm. I try and do what is right and it gets me no more privileges than someone who flys illegally and unsafely.
It's just another punish all the responsible people because of idiots.
I think the fact that you don't have to worry and be constantly looking over your shoulder is a pretty good reward in and of itself...I to follow the rules and try to do the right things in life...I appreciate that you do as well sir... Thanx again...we all benefit when the rules are obeyed

I think the fact that you don't have to worry and be constantly looking over your shoulder is a pretty good reward in and of itself...I to follow the rules and try to do the right things in life...I appreciate that you do as well sir... Thanx again...we all benefit when the rules are obeyed

I like to think it is because I was brought up correctly and have a conscience. Alot of people today have neither.

As for the looking over your shoulder - I think that would apply to that guilty feeling we get in our guts, when we know that we are doing something wrong. But, how does this apply to the current environment? I'm currently not pt.107, nor am I flying commercially. I am, however, the proud owner of a hacked .0700fw Mavic. I live in the mountains. All airports for 100+ miles around me are small craft airports ~many of which have not had a takeoff or landing in years. Heck, one of the nearby airstrips designated by DJI as an NFZ, was closed by the property owner over a decade ago. And this strip is in the middle of nowhere. I mean - drive to nowhere, then keep driving for another hour...

I work in a fire lookout tower during the summer, which is located 3 miles from, and above, our local airport. From my perch above everything else in the county, I have learned first hand from watching air traffic, and working in direct communications with our ECC (emergency command center - located at the airport) about the air traffic in the area, the paths planes fly on takeoff and approach, and the common routes for rogue pilots making a low run over our town. So I am able to make highly educated choices in where to fly. It's difficult for me to *abide* by governmental restrictions that apply equally to a closed airstrip, as to JFK in New York.

I certainly see the problem of new, often young, pilots taking to the skies without even cracking the proverbial binding on the user's manual. Now, I was about to say that they show a blatant disregard for the rules ~but nothing in the box indicates that there are any rules. They don't know that there are any steps to take to fly safely. The FAA says they've taken the role of education over punishment ~so where is the little sheet of paper in the box that guides a new drone owner in, not just the right direction - but in any direction at all?

We, "here", in these forums are involved in the "community" - so we know the dos and don'ts. We are out here daily (some of us). Even so, every single day - any time someone says they were flying at 401+ft, a fight breaks out mixing reason, truth, desire and trolling about the actual validity of said rules. Many, such as @sar104, can present the rules and laws in a logical fashion that bring me closer to actually understanding how the rules are applied. But, what is the FAA actually doing in any of these circumstances? (spoiler alert: see article link below)... My point being ~even we who are (so called) *educated*, can't nail down the rules in special circumstances - because (wait for it), the FAA has failed miserably at educating anyone who doesn't go looking... And, why should they?

If I go out and buy any product that may in any way be unsafe, when used improperly, the dang thing is littered with universal stickers showing what not to do. Heck, empty five-gallon buckets have images of babies drowning on them. So technically, I have learned more about safety from this bucket than I have from my drone.

Here's an interesting article that puts the FAA's current actions in perspective:

Exclusive: Only one drone pilot has ever been busted for flying without a license — and he got a warning

I understand that this conversation is looking for ideas to move forward safely and attempt to bring everyone on board, but I don't get that feeling in my gut of having to look over my shoulder, due to the government watching me. They're really not. Self governing is indeed needed here, but only a small percentage of drowners are active on forums...etc.

Who is telling / teaching / informing the rest of them that there are rules in place? It's not the FAA.

Reactions: RolandW

again - it's a law - not a DJI-like company policy. a law, by the way, that was only recently enacted. before that - you had the option of taking your chances and having no insurance at all if you had no lien on the vehicle. the time will likely come when insurance is required to fly a quad, commercially OR as a hobbiest. i have no problem with having insurance - that's just smart. i have a $1m liability policy that covers me for almost everything - thinking of upping it to $2m. if you had to show proof of insurance to fly a quad - maybe fewer idiots would be ... well ... idiots.

As for the looking over your shoulder - I think that would apply to that guilty feeling we get in our guts, when we know that we are doing something wrong. But, how does this apply to the current environment? I'm currently not pt.107, nor am I flying commercially. I am, however, the proud owner of a hacked .0700fw Mavic. I live in the mountains. All airports for 100+ miles around me are small craft airports ~many of which have not had a takeoff or landing in years. Heck, one of the nearby airstrips designated by DJI as an NFZ, was closed by the property owner over a decade ago. And this strip is in the middle of nowhere. I mean - drive to nowhere, then keep driving for another hour...

I work in a fire lookout tower during the summer, which is located 3 miles from, and above, our local airport. From my perch above everything else in the county, I have learned first hand from watching air traffic, and working in direct communications with our ECC (emergency command center - located at the airport) about the air traffic in the area, the paths planes fly on takeoff and approach, and the common routes for rogue pilots making a low run over our town. So I am able to make highly educated choices in where to fly. It's difficult for me to *abide* by governmental restrictions that apply equally to a closed airstrip, as to JFK in New York.

I certainly see the problem of new, often young, pilots taking to the skies without even cracking the proverbial binding on the user's manual. Now, I was about to say that they show a blatant disregard for the rules ~but nothing in the box indicates that there are any rules. They don't know that there are any steps to take to fly safely. The FAA says they've taken the role of education over punishment ~so where is the little sheet of paper in the box that guides a new drone owner in, not just the right direction - but in any direction at all?

We, "here", in these forums are involved in the "community" - so we know the dos and don'ts. We are out here daily (some of us). Even so, every single day - any time someone says they were flying at 401+ft, a fight breaks out mixing reason, truth, desire and trolling about the actual validity of said rules. Many, such as @sar104, can present the rules and laws in a logical fashion that bring me closer to actually understanding how the rules are applied. But, what is the FAA actually doing in any of these circumstances? (spoiler alert: see article link below)... My point being ~even we who are (so called) *educated*, can't nail down the rules in special circumstances - because (wait for it), the FAA has failed miserably at educating anyone who doesn't go looking... And, why should they?

If I go out and buy any product that may in any way be unsafe, when used improperly, the dang thing is littered with universal stickers showing what not to do. Heck, empty five-gallon buckets have images of babies drowning on them. So technically, I have learned more about safety from this bucket than I have from my drone.

Here's an interesting article that puts the FAA's current actions in perspective:

Exclusive: Only one drone pilot has ever been busted for flying without a license — and he got a warning

I understand that this conversation is looking for ideas to move forward safely and attempt to bring everyone on board, but I don't get that feeling in my gut of having to look over my shoulder, due to the government watching me. They're really not. Self governing is indeed needed here, but only a small percentage of drowners are active on forums...etc.

Who is telling / teaching / informing the rest of them that there are rules in place? It's not the FAA.

Well said sir

Reactions: Qoncussion
I am, however, the proud owner of a hacked .0700fw Mavic.

i'm at hacked @ .600 for (mostly) the same reason. the problem with your situation, and mine, is not the FAA - it's DJI determining where we can & cannot fly. it's, really, my only beef with the company.

again - it's a law - not a DJI-like company policy. a law, by the way, that was only recently enacted. before that - you had the option of taking your chances and having no insurance at all if you had no lien on the vehicle. the time will likely come when insurance is required to fly a quad, commercially OR as a hobbiest. i have no problem with having insurance - that's just smart. i have a $1m liability policy that covers me for almost everything - thinking of upping it to $2m. if you had to show proof of insurance to fly a quad - maybe fewer idiots would be ... well ... idiots.
Again well said

Yes they do and when they get busted they pay a heavy price
Yes they do, but in general people drive cars and are not going to rock the boat for more strict rules for themselves, so that will reflect back again on the violations perpetrated.
Where as in the drone world and IMHO people do not drive drones to work or go shopping with them, so opinions are quickly formed and frenzy is in the making.
What to do?
How to control the outbreak or increase of plain unaware first time uninformed users to the morons that flout the laws that we don't hold to ourselves?
Let's be honest here, an example set is an example taken.
You tube is full of videos posted by experienced and "responsible" operators showing flights that are not acceptable or rather daring, and too, some are well planned and safe, but no matter what we do or don't do, there always will be those who just will not give a hoot about any of it, fly stupid and do damage and get away with it.
Clubs, rulings, laws and fees will not stop it and we don't want "drone cops" either.

So I just sneak out to very private places and ply my hobby in the hope that I can still do this for a little while before it gets too expensive and beyond my ability to cope with compliance and safety rules like wearing reflective headbands, finger bands, flashing boots and balloon like signs depicting angry faced drones while having to blast an air horn every ten seconds.

It is what it is and it will not get better, so work on the privelige and put out an example of righteous law abiding flying and hope some cool way will found to deal with it all.
My 2 zinks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fuckyoupaymenowww