DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Privledge not a right

Classic flyer

Reactions
Flying our drones, much like driving is a Privledge and not a right and can be taken away from us at any time for a number of reasons. The drone community is under great scrutiny from many. When people do stupid things with their drones because they think it's "COOL" and want to post them for the world to see only gives the community a black eye, and gives ammunition for the anti-droners to revoke that Privledge or add more restrictions. I for one enjoy flying my drone and don't want to loose that privledge because of people doing things they know they shouldn't all in the name of "COOLNESS". Safety is paramount . Flying "modified" aircraft in public places is not only unsafe, but stupid! When someone gets hurt or property gets damaged we as a community pay the price for the actions of the "RECKLESS FEW" and that is not "COOL" and unacceptable! Thank you and let's hear your thoughts on the subject.

i don't want to judge those who like to experiment and push the limits. I'm not one of those, I get every time Mr. Mavic is out of sight. I just hope the boundary-pushers do it far away from airports, in areas where there's no one to hurt, and below a flight level where an occupied vehicle could randomly hit them.

The "worst" people are the Phantom users. If you look up crash videos you'll see that most of them are Phantoms crashing because of user error.

I hope that the number of incidents will go down because of the NFZ thingy and the OA on the new Phantoms. People see the popularity of drones as a good thing but it really is a bad thing. We don't need stupid people in this hobby.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
The "worst" people are the Phantom users. If you look up crash videos you'll see that most of them are Phantoms crashing because of user error.

I hope that the number of incidents will go down because of the NFZ thingy and the OA on the new Phantoms. People see the popularity of drones as a good thing but it really is a bad thing. We don't need stupid people in this hobby.
Phantom, Mavic, Parrot it really dosent matter

Reactions: garethshaw

Statistically it stands to reason you'll see DJI users popping up the most, DJI holds the lion's share of the market.

We can complain all we like about how these selfish people are ruining the hobby for the rest of us, but it won't do any good whatsoever because they won't listen to us, and what's more, they just don't care. Will what we think make any difference to the way they behave? No. So there's no point in any of us whingeing and moaning about it, we're just the drone fliers, and we don't get to make the rules.

We can complain all we like about how these selfish people are ruining the hobby for the rest of us, but it won't do any good whatsoever because they won't listen to us, and what's more, they just don't care. Will what we think make any difference to the way they behave? No. So there's no point in any of us whingeing and moaning about it, we're just the drone fliers, and we don't get to make the rules.
That being said those actions will cause the "RULE MAKERS" to tighten the noose so to speak...thanx

Most on this thread and probably on this forum will all be singing from the same hymn sheet. For every safe and sensible modder they'll be some irresponsible low life who wants to put his foot on the floor straight out the box with total disregard for other's safety. Telling the kids to behave at the table so we don't all get thrown out the restaurant doesn't work. The Fat Controller (above) says "we don't make the rules". Well maybe that's not totally out of the question. Would some sort of self-regulatory code/licence now be better than government imposed contol in the not so distant future? Just a though......Great thread btw

That's largely because Phantoms have been around for years longer than most other popular models.

For some reasons I have found that owners of other type of drones are much more respectful than your average Phantom user. If you look at the polls on the official Mavic forum you will see that most of them are actually above 40 years old and pretty dang helpful. The Phantom attracts random stoned teenager looking to shoot for the Instagram and they couldn't care less about respect and the hobby as a whole. Obviously a lot of Phantom users are perfectly fine but I'm just saying that it attracts the dumb and inexperienced people.

Most on this thread and probably on this forum will all be singing from the same hymn sheet. For every safe and sensible modder they'll be some irresponsible low life who wants to put his foot on the floor straight out the box with total disregard for other's safety. Telling the kids to behave at the table so we don't all get thrown out the restaurant doesn't work. The Fat Controller (above) says "we don't make the rules". Well maybe that's not totally out of the question. Would some sort of self-regulatory code/licence now be better than government imposed contol in the not so distant future? Just a though......Great thread btw
That sounds like a very reasonable place to start

just wondering if you are just preaching to the choir. how many irresponsible drone users would be in this, or any community forum? they tend to be anti-social and dont care about the community or the people around them. they fly to get their kicks.

Reactions: AnzacJack
Statistically it stands to reason you'll see DJI users popping up the most, DJI holds the lion's share of the market.

Yes, it holds the lion's share of the market because noobs and ton of dumb people can fly it. You can't buy a racing quad at Best Buy and you can't fly it without experience.

Reactions: Clinton1
just wondering if you are just preaching to the choir. how many irresponsible drone users would be in this, or any community forum? they tend to be anti-social and dont care about the community or the people around them. they fly to get their kicks.

Many. Have you seen the number of fly away or crash threads in the Phantom forum?

For some reasons I have found that owners of other type of drones are much more respectful than your average Phantom user. If you look at the polls on the official Mavic forum you will see that most of them are actually above 40 years old and pretty dang helpful. The Phantom attracts random stoned teenager looking to shoot for the Instagram and they couldn't care less about respect and the hobby as a whole. Obviously a lot of Phantom users are perfectly fine but I'm just saying that it attracts the dumb and inexperienced people.
The type of drone is not the issue...it's the crazy things people do with them that's the problem. BTW I wasn't singling out.the modders

Let's not forget other sources of the issue. Namely the news and the FAA. The news loves to report bias information about the millions of drones looking into your windows. The FAA is also to blame for lying to the public, dragging their feet on important issues and simply not doing their job to allow operators to follow the rules.

No sir I'm not preaching just trying to get people to think about what they're doing and what consequences might occur should things go bad...food for thought that's all.

Let's not forget other sources of the issue. Namely the news and the FAA. The news loves to report bias information about the millions of drones looking into your windows. The FAA is also to blame for lying to the public, dragging their feet on important issues and simply not doing their job to allow operators to follow the rules.
Very good point

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11