DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Privledge not a right

When RC Flying was difficult because there were no Flight Controllers, GPS or Gyros it kept the idiots out of the hobby. Now anyone with more credit on their card than between their ears can swipe up a drone and get in the air without the first idea concerning safe ops. We have all seen the videos of sub-humans losing their bird on the first flight, let's hope there is more of it.
This is true... Making flying simpler certainly attracted a number of simpletons. Everyone here agrees that any compulsory licencing /insurance /registration won't eradicate stupid behaviour but most agree it would be a start. There are a significant number of uninsured untaxed cars on the road being driven by nutters without licences but with smart technology getting stronger every day, their days are numbered. How long will it be before the skies are policed in the same way?

Last edited:
It's a right mate you buy a drone you can fly it as long as it's safe no one should have the right to say otherwise unless your a complete retard and a danger to others that's the same as saying a mobile phone is a privilege nah mate it ain't your obviously a fan of politics you like being controlled like a puppet ...you can fly your drone now son yes sir thank you sir your one of those [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Reactions: RolandW
It's a right mate you buy a drone you can fly it as long as it's safe no one should have the right to say otherwise unless your a complete retard and a danger to others that's the same as saying a mobile phone is a privilege nah mate it ain't your obviously a fan of politics you like being controlled like a puppet ...you can fly your drone now son yes sir thank you sir your one of those [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Obviously Mr Ghost is on here to wind everyone up....but he has the right of free speech, and I defend his right to use it, but obviously no responsibility of how to use it.
Very amusing! So here goes, I’ll stick my head above the parapet. Boom...
Indeed it is a right, after all you’ve paid for the drone, so why not do what the hell you like regardless of the consequences to anyone else?
Along with those rights are responsibilities. Responsibilities for the safety of others, on the ground, in the air, wherever, responsibility to the rest of the flying community to fly safely in order not to have draconian rules imposed on the hobby thro the actions of the idiot few who say they have rights.
There is a moral responsibility not always understood by those touting their so called rights. I understand it is a right to bear arms in the USA, (2nd Amendment). You can go into Walmart and if you have enough ‘green backs’ and after a cooling off period, walk away with unbelievable weapons able to kill, maim & inflict untold misery, but it’s a responsibility not to do that. It’s a responsibility to learn about the weapon, shoot responsibly in the right place and time. If you don’t take responsibility for your actions, then the laws put in place, to protect others from irresponsibility and idiocy will kick in. Example. You can walk around the woods, dressed in camouflage clothing with a rifle but try walking down any high street like that and you’ll soon find out the difference between rights and responsibilities.
Having said all that, I applaud those adventurers who modify, try new ideas, test theories, improving and refining their inventions.
Without these brave adventurers of the past, present and future using their own time and money most of the greatest inventions/ideas-would probably never have been found if they were shackled by draconian laws. It is up to everyone to be responsible.
Thank you.

Obviously Mr Ghost is on here to wind everyone up....but he has the right of free speech, and I defend his right to use it, but obviously no responsibility of how to use it.
Very amusing! So here goes, I’ll stick my head above the parapet. Boom...
Indeed it is a right, after all you’ve paid for the drone, so why not do what the **** you like regardless of the consequences to anyone else?
Along with those rights are responsibilities. Responsibilities for the safety of others, on the ground, in the air, wherever, responsibility to the rest of the flying community to fly safely in order not to have draconian rules imposed on the hobby thro the actions of the idiot few who say they have rights.
There is a moral responsibility not always understood by those touting their so called rights. I understand it is a right to bear arms in the USA, (2nd Amendment). You can go into Walmart and if you have enough ‘green backs’ and after a cooling off period, walk away with unbelievable weapons able to kill, maim & inflict untold misery, but it’s a responsibility not to do that. It’s a responsibility to learn about the weapon, shoot responsibly in the right place and time. If you don’t take responsibility for your actions, then the laws put in place, to protect others from irresponsibility and idiocy will kick in. Example. You can walk around the woods, dressed in camouflage clothing with a rifle but try walking down any high street like that and you’ll soon find out the difference between rights and responsibilities.
Having said all that, I applaud those adventurers who modify, try new ideas, test theories, improving and refining their inventions.
Without these brave adventurers of the past, present and future using their own time and money most of the greatest inventions/ideas-would probably never have been found if they were shackled by draconian laws. It is up to everyone to be responsible.
Thank you.
Great and thank you
There were far more than me waiting for someone to address Mr G. For fear of poking a stick through the tiger's cage I felt the nature of his post was a great example of the issue most of us are trying to address

When RC Flying was difficult because there were no Flight Controllers, GPS or Gyros it kept the idiots out of the hobby. Now anyone with more credit on their card than between their ears can swipe up a drone and get in the air without the first idea concerning safe ops. We have all seen the videos of sub-humans losing their bird on the first flight, let's hope there is more of it.
Amen brother

Ok that being said can you show us where it says we have "right" to fly, or drive...in the U.S we have the Bill of Rights and there's nothing there about either!?

Told hobby fliers that they were limited to 400'. Put out fliers showing hundreds of drones flying around planes. Told the press that there were 6xx near misses with planes, told the public that the registration was needed not because there was a problem with getting the drones but because there was a problem with matching them to the owners. They were then giving a deadline to create UAV rules which they did not meet. It took them years to great a simple map app to show where airports were but could not even put that same map online (DJI had it online for years).

That may not be completely fair. Congress prevented the FAA from achieving any meaningful regulation of recreational drones. The FAA certainly tried to get hobbyists to agree to a 400 ft limit, but had no way to enforce it. Do you think that they were being unreasonable in trying? I haven't seen the FAA fliers that you mention, or the FAA claims about near misses. Wanting registration was reasonable (though not lawful at that time) and has been reinstated with the force of law - do you disagree with registration?

In terms of creating UAV rules, Part 107 was not as fast as everyone might have liked, but worked pretty well in the end. As for the app - there was never a requirement to make an app just in order to make life easier for recreational pilots.

Anyway, blaming the FAA for reckless flying doesn't really make sense since it is happening all over the world, not just in the US.

Reactions: Classic flyer
That may not be completely fair. Congress prevented the FAA from achieving any meaningful regulation of recreational drones. The FAA certainly tried to get hobbyists to agree to a 400 ft limit, but had no way to enforce it. Do you think that they were being unreasonable in trying? I haven't seen the FAA fliers that you mention, or the FAA claims about near misses. Wanting registration was reasonable (though not lawful at that time) and has been reinstated with the force of law - do you disagree with registration?

In terms of creating UAV rules, Part 107 was not as fast as everyone might have liked, but worked pretty well in the end. As for the app - there was never a requirement to make an app just in order to make life easier for recreational pilots.

Anyway, blaming the FAA for reckless flying doesn't really make sense since it is happening all over the world, not just in the US.
I like what you say...as usual Congress is a blister on the *** of society...I think that requiring that we get 107 certified would also help...although these are drones we are still flying and should be educated to the laws governing such activities...maybe not being able to purchase a drone until you get certified...or at least having to demonstrate a certain skill level

Flying our drones, much like driving is a Privledge and not a right and can be taken away from us at any time for a number of reasons. The drone community is under great scrutiny from many. When people do stupid things with their drones because they think it's "COOL" and want to post them for the world to see only gives the community a black eye, and gives ammunition for the anti-droners to revoke that Privledge or add more restrictions. I for one enjoy flying my drone and don't want to loose that privledge because of people doing things they know they shouldn't all in the name of "COOLNESS". Safety is paramount . Flying "modified" aircraft in public places is not only unsafe, but stupid! When someone gets hurt or property gets damaged we as a community pay the price for the actions of the "RECKLESS FEW" and that is not "COOL" and unacceptable! Thank you and let's hear your thoughts on the subject.
TOTALLY agree! Safety is everything.

I like what you say...as usual Congress is a blister on the *** of society...I think that requiring that we get 107 certified would also help...although these are drones we are still flying and should be educated to the laws governing such activities...maybe not being able to purchase a drone until you get certified...or at least having to demonstrate a certain skill level

I think some form of training and certification is necessary. Capable aircraft like Phantoms, Mavics, Inspires etc., while they may be cheap and readily available for recreational use, have the ability to get right up there among regular air traffic, and something like Part 107 is probably appropriate. For smaller, short range, non-autonomous (toy?) aircraft it may be overkill.

The put out brochures showing drones flying all around airplanes. Tried to get hobbyist to "agree" to 400 limit? They told us this was a regulation. I think they are unreasonable when they flat out lie to people. The FAA was charged with putting together all reports of UAV's in violation of the regulation. They told the media that there were xxx number of near misses and, at first, would not release the report. Once people got a hold of the listed reports, it was clear that the FAA simply took the number of all the reports and stated that these were things like near misses. Turns out, there were something like less then 10. I won't bother to pull the details as they have been posted before. Truth is, registration has done and won't do anything. The FAA and DOT told us that the problem was not getting the drone (that IS the problem), the problem was once they had the drone they could not match it to the owner. In the number of years that the registration has been in affect how many drones has the FAA matched to their owners? I'll give you a hint.... it's a number that is less than 1. So there has not been any drone issues since the registration? I'm not saying I'm against the registration... I'm saying that the FAA simply lied about it.

Edit: The FAA also set up the "registration" but as a part of this registration they created additional rules that were not allowed for under Section 336. So they basically did an end run around Congress.

Here is what the FAA _should_ have done....

Obtained an agreement or requirement for all drone manufactures to include clear literature about FAA regulations and safe flying in every drone box. This should have been done years ago. It's done now, to a very limited extent. Give new people the _chance_ to know what the rules are. Don't create a pointless registration just to push this information. They should have created an online site that makes it easy to show where airports are located. This should have been done years ago. They put out the B4UFly app but did not have anything even online. DJI had this years before the FAA even started. There are many situations where you can't easily know if there is an airport within 5 miles of your flight location. It took a lot of searching to find out. What the FAA has online now is crap. DJI's map is far better.

When it's their job to ensure that people have the information they need to fly safely and you simply _fail_ in this regard, I can place blame on them. Don't simply look where we are today... it took the FAA years to get to this point. Consider their entire history. They are still failing today.

The put out brochures showing drones flying all around airplanes. Tried to get hobbyist to "agree" to 400 limit? They told us this was a regulation. I think they are unreasonable when they flat out lie to people. The FAA was charged with putting together all reports of UAV's in violation of the regulation. They told the media that there were xxx number of near misses and, at first, would not release the report. Once people got a hold of the listed reports, it was clear that the FAA simply took the number of all the reports and stated that these were things like near misses. Turns out, there were something like less then 10. I won't bother to pull the details as they have been posted before. Truth is, registration has done and won't do anything. The FAA and DOT told us that the problem was not getting the drone (that IS the problem), the problem was once they had the drone they could not match it to the owner. In the number of years that the registration has been in affect how many drones has the FAA matched to their owners? I'll give you a hint.... it's a number that is less than 1. So there has not been any drone issues since the registration? I'm not saying I'm against the registration... I'm saying that the FAA simply lied about it.

Edit: The FAA also set up the "registration" but as a part of this registration they created additional rules that were not allowed for under Section 336. So they basically did an end run around Congress.

Obtained an agreement or requirement for all drone manufactures to include clear literature about FAA regulations and safe flying in every drone box. This should have been done years ago. It's done now, to a very limited extent. Give new people the _chance_ to know what the rules are. Don't create a pointless registration just to push this information. They should have created an online site that makes it easy to show where airports are located. This should have been done years ago. They put out the B4UFly app but did not have anything even online. DJI had this years before the FAA even started. There are many situations where you can't easily know if there is an airport within 5 miles of your flight location. It took a lot of searching to find out. What the FAA has online now is crap. DJI's map is far better.

When it's their job to ensure that people have the information they need to fly safely and you simply _fail_ in this regard, I can place blame on them. Don't simply look where we are today... it took the FAA years to get to this point. Consider their entire history. They are still failing today.
Perhaps the number is less than 1 at the moment but you don't know what the future holds. Registration of the drone is the same as the tag on your car...something goes bad they have a way of tracking down the prep...I saw on the news about a month ago were a Blackhawk helicopter had a mid-air Collison with a drone and the helicopter suffered some pretty good damage had the drone penetrated the cockpit it could have been much worse...do we need to kill someone before we address the situation

Perhaps the number is less than 1 at the moment but you don't know what the future holds. Registration of the drone is the same as the tag on your car...something goes bad they have a way of tracking down the prep...I saw on the news about a month ago were a Blackhawk helicopter had a mid-air Collison with a drone and the helicopter suffered some pretty good damage had the drone penetrated the cockpit it could have been much worse...do we need to kill someone before we address the situation

Real life experience as opposed to speculation is usually the best means to determine if something is working or has value. There have already been many situations of illegal drone flying documented and the registration has yet to be of any assistance. The reason the FAA created the registration was to push their safety information to fliers and to alter Section 336 against the terms imposed on them by Congress. What I said was that the FAA lied to people about the reason for the registration.

Real life experience as opposed to speculation is usually the best means to determine if something is working or has value. There have already been many situations of illegal drone flying documented and the registration has yet to be of any assistance. The reason the FAA created the registration was to push their safety information to fliers and to alter Section 336 against the terms imposed on them by Congress. What I said was that the FAA lied to people about the reason for the registration.
That being said were those drones registered...probably not people resist registration because they don't like it...maybe when someone buys a drone it should be automatically registered before it leaves the store...kind of like when a car

While I agree that the FAA attempted to get hobbyists to agree to staying below 400 ft as part of the registration process, that only happened because their hands were tied. So they used reported near misses in their data? That seems fair enough. They had, and have, no power to require manufacturers to do anything. Your post mostly seems more like a list of things that you would have done differently, some of which sound very nice, and some of which would probably have taken significant resources that were not allocated.

In terms of their job to ensure people have the necessary information to fly - they were not given the tools to regulate and they were not given the resources to deal with the regulations imposed by Congress. Suddenly requiring the FAA to cater for a potentially huge number of untrained recreational UAV pilots was not reasonable.

Reactions: Callum
A possible technology solution might be to have all drones over a certain weight (i.e. potential damage) to have a hard-coded 'auto-land' trigger that can be activated by law enforcement agencies and those charged with flight safety e.g. Air Traffic Control. Every drone must 'squark' their (obviously encrypted) ID and if it is somewhere it shouldn't be then the trigger forces it land, with no operator override. This could be enhanced by automatic flight logging by responsible pilots - I do this anyway with the UKs NATS app - so they get a warning instead of 'auto-land', like the old, "You have entered xxx airspace, turn around or you will be fired upon" in the movies. I would have no issue whatsoever having such a digital license plate 'fitted' to my drone, if anything, it would serve to vindicate my responsible flying.
Wow, it's truly frightening that people are OK with a mandatory kill switch to be used at the discretion of the government's armed enforcers. What else would you want these on? Your car? Firearms? How about one on your microwave just in case you try to make something unhealthy for dinner?

Reactions: Qoncussion
Wow, it's truly frightening that people are OK with a mandatory kill switch to be used at the discretion of the government's armed enforcers. What else would you want these on? Your car? Firearms? How about one on your microwave just in case you try to make something unhealthy for dinner?
Give us your input sir that's what this discussion is about...thanx

Reactions: RolandW
i think having a law enforcement kill switch is a horrible idea - but having hard coded NFZs from the manufacturer is just as bad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard