DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro? Really???

I wasn't aware of the Evolve 2 until know, but as I learned more about it, the Evolve 2 competes with Inspire has 4/3 sensor and removable gimbal and interchangeable lenses. Their Ground Station comes, as I understand it, with two high quality displays. $3700. Wow. For less money we can get into REAL entry level professional gear.

XDynamics has some work to do before it will be a Mavic 3 competitor:

The M3 is an amazing drone!

However, like anything else in one's profession, you must evaluate if the equipment is what you NEED for the work you do. If your work involves primarily video production, I say upgrading to the M3 is the thing you need. For those that do mostly aerial still images as I do, the M3 might not have enough upgrades to cause you to run out and buy one.

This is one of the reasons I parted ways with my I2. I wanted to upgrade the x5 to the x7 for better images but the work I was doing just didn't warrant spending that kind of money.

With this said, rather than complaining about the "price" of the M3, ask yourself if it will help you make money in the work you're doing? If so, get it. If not, then don't.

- It's called "The cost of doing business!" :)

Reactions: Coskier
Awesome responses, thanks everyone for chiming in. I have been a DJI enthusiast for nearly 3 years now, and in my opinion they make the best hardware available, bar none. My concerns regarding this new entry is the price point increase, and how it can be justified. Simply making huge increases in price because of new features is hard to swallow given that others in the the industry are making those same features available at a much more tolerable cost (but a higher risk to us without the confidence we already have in DJI).

If XDynamics can offer:
1. ProRes
2. industry standard interchangeable lenses
3. Interchangeable gimbals
4. Controller with DUAL 1000+ NIT displays....

All at a cost at nearly half the price of DJI's Cine MP3, then one has to question the blind faith that we all (myself included) put into DJI's new releases.

I never understand these threads. You either want it, or you don’t. Why does it matter what other people think?
Lastrexking, to respond to your question, I care because I am certain that I am tapping into the most informed group of people on earth that are either considering or have already pulled the trigger on the Mp3. Who else should I challenge/ask?

Lastly, I can probably predict with a high degree of certainty that I will also be a Mp3 pilot within the next year (just not yet because of my embedded reluctance to bowing to the unproven). In the meantime, I will fly my M2P, Mini 2, and Skydio 2 (gotta love the AI there!!). I hope all of you enjoy what is to come, unboxing and discovering the newest tech from DJI.

Cheers, and again, thanks all for your helpful insights!!

</SS>

Reactions: GrimtheViking
Captain Drone in Ottawa explains the differences between prosumer drones vs real pro drones in his video of the Evolve 2. A Mavic pro of any kind will never get close to a Red camera, or a Matrice level drone.

Not only do lenses have to be interchangeable, but also the gimbals should be removable for it to be pro. Most big pro drones are above 1.5kg+ making them very sterdy beasts in the sky. Plus, most of the lenses are 1" and better.

DJI and all other electronic manufacturers have picked up on the Pro title that sells, that includes the cellphone industry and many more.

But in the end, some drone pilots who prefer FPV, will argue that what we as Mavic pilots fly, is barely a drone.

To me, personally, the only Mavic line that is true pro, is the Mavic 2 Pro Enterprise Duo. With all that data collection, I consider it a tool than a flying camera.

All that writing, and in the end, I'm dying to get that Mavic pro 3 fly more

Captain Drone in Ottawa explains the differences between prosumer drones vs real pro drones in his video of the Evolve 2. A Mavic pro of any kind will never get close to a Red camera, or a Matrice level drone.

Not only do lenses have to be interchangeable, but also the gimbals should be removable for it to be pro. Most big pro drones are above 1.5kg+ making them very sterdy beasts in the sky. Plus, most of the lenses are 1" and better.

DJI and all other electronic manufacturers have picked up on the Pro title that sells, that includes the cellphone industry and many more.

But in the end, some drone pilots who prefer FPV, will argue that what we as Mavic pilots fly, is barely a drone.

To me, personally, the only Mavic line that is true pro, is the Mavic 2 Pro Enterprise Duo. With all that data collection, I consider it a tool than a flying camera.

All that writing, and in the end, I'm dying to get that Mavic pro 3 fly more
This is arbitrary, contrived nonsense. There is no formal definition of a "pro" drone that requires interchangeable lenses or detachable gimbals. And size doesn't guarantee stability. The M2P camera platform is more stable than several much larger drones that I use, one of which is nearly 15 kg without payload . And it doesn't have to be carrying a Red to be used for professional videography, as evidenced by the extensive use of the M2P in the TV and movie industries.

Captain Drone in Ottawa explains the differences between prosumer drones vs real pro drones in his video of the Evolve 2.

Not only do lenses have to be interchangeable, but also the gimbals should be removable for it to be pro. Most big pro drones are above 1.5kg+ making them very sterdy beasts in the sky.
Captain Drone often has very little idea what he is talking about and just makes stuff up.

I asked him about the Evolve 2 and this is what he said:
I can say it is not for the DJI crowd. DJI drones are more for beginners or the occasional weekend flyer. Those drones do everything for you and they do it well.
I watched another of his videos last week in which he continually talked about depth of field, when he meant shallow depth of field (which is the opposite).
I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

This is arbitrary, contrived nonsense. There is no formal definition of a "pro" drone that requires interchangeable lenses or detachable gimbals. And size doesn't guarantee stability. The M2P camera platform is more stable than several much larger drones that I use, one of which is nearly 15 kg without payload . And it doesn't have to be carrying a Red to be used for professional videography, as evidenced by the extensive use of the M2P in the TV and movie industries.

A movie production budget easily affords more than an MP2, and no director would dare compare a red to a mp2 image. With what you're saying basically even the Ronin 4d is basically beat by a mp2, which is bullock talk

A movie production budget easily affords more than an MP2, and no director would dare compare a red to a mp2 image. With what you're saying basically even the Ronin 4d is basically beat by a mp2, which is bullock talk
There's a large variety of diverse professional missions and lots of different drones for those missions.
A drone suitable for use in major movie production isn't the only kind of drone that professionals use.
Prosumer drones are ideal for many professional uses.

Reactions: Mavy710
Captain Drone often has very little idea what he is talking about and just makes stuff up.

I asked him about the Evolve 2 and this is what he said:
I can say it is not for the DJI crowd. DJI drones are more for beginners or the occasional weekend flyer. Those drones do everything for you and they do it well.
Who in the world in "Captain Drone"? He obviously has ZERO idea who and what DJI drones are used for. If that is his opinion, he likely is a Evolve shill.

I'm pretty sure no one who knows my would consider me in the category of "beginners or occasional weekend flyer."

It always amuses me when those who don't know what they're doing consider their opinion (which is DEAD WRONG in this instance) as fact. It speaks to their ego and ignorance.

Who in the world in "Captain Drone"? He obviously has ZERO idea who and what DJI drones are used for. If that is his opinion, he likely is a Evolve shill.

I'm pretty sure no one who knows my would consider me in the category of "beginners or occasional weekend flyer."

It always amuses me when those who don't know what they're doing consider their opinion (which is DEAD WRONG in this instance) as fact. It speaks to their ego and ignorance.
I like Captain Drone..... his reviews are entertaining and not shill material. He obviously likes the Evolve 2 he has been testing but calls them out on the ridiculous lag between controller and drone. DJI has dropped him from their freebee list despite his huge following because he calls them out for their business practices. However he is just a guy with an opinion.... and not always fully informed on what he is talking about. I watch his videos which are usually pretty thorough and pick out the info I find helpful. He doesn't do professional work with his drones beyond making Youtube videos so his depth of knowledge stops there.

Reactions: Mavy710
If you either can't comprehend simple English and/or are going to deliberately distort what I said (I can't tell which it is) then I suggest you just stop commenting.

Awesome responses, thanks everyone for chiming in. I have been a DJI enthusiast for nearly 3 years now, and in my opinion they make the best hardware available, bar none. My concerns regarding this new entry is the price point increase, and how it can be justified. Simply making huge increases in price because of new features is hard to swallow given that others in the the industry are making those same features available at a much more tolerable cost (but a higher risk to us without the confidence we already have in DJI).

If XDynamics can offer:
1. ProRes
2. industry standard interchangeable lenses
3. Interchangeable gimbals
4. Controller with DUAL 1000+ NIT displays....

All at a cost at nearly half the price of DJI's Cine MP3, then one has to question the blind faith that we all (myself included) put into DJI's new releases.

Lastrexking, to respond to your question, I care because I am certain that I am tapping into the most informed group of people on earth that are either considering or have already pulled the trigger on the Mp3. Who else should I challenge/ask?

Lastly, I can probably predict with a high degree of certainty that I will also be a Mp3 pilot within the next year (just not yet because of my embedded reluctance to bowing to the unproven). In the meantime, I will fly my M2P, Mini 2, and Skydio 2 (gotta love the AI there!!). I hope all of you enjoy what is to come, unboxing and discovering the newest tech from DJI.

Cheers, and again, thanks all for your helpful insights!!

</SS>

Since you mentioned Skydio, the only thing that I think is missing to make it a huge competitor in the market is an upgraded controller. As you know, DJI is a manual drone with some AI features where Skydio is the reverse. They’ve already tackled the hard part… But making it a more solid manually flown drone would be truly exciting.

Since you mentioned Skydio, the only thing that I think is missing to make it a huge competitor in the market is an upgraded controller. As you know, DJI is a manual drone with some AI features where Skydio is the reverse. They’ve already tackled the hard part… But making it a more solid manually flown drone would be truly exciting.
Sorry to go down this rabbit hole and away from the primary topic, but yes, I agree. That Parrot controller has lots of limitations. If the MP3 comes close to Skydio's capabilities, then problem solved (in a few months when they update the fly app for those features, or about a year when they add support it in their mSDK)!!!

I'm patiently waiting for them (or a 3rd party like Maven, Litchi, etc.) to enable POI/Waypoint autonomy. My opinion is that this would be the best reason to start using use the controller (but hey, that beacon capability is awesome by itself!!). There must be a SDK available, as DroneDeploy has integrated it into their mapping software. With the awesome avoidance coupled with POI capabilities, can you imagine the low altitude reveal shots you could get?

</SS>

Last edited:
Skydio needs to upgrade their transmission system, antennas and controller...... unfortunately they have already done this but for just their Enterprise X2 drone. They need to release a Skydio 3 consumer drone with these upgrades.... without improved antennas in the Skydio anything else they do will be nearly meaningless.

Skydio needs to upgrade their transmission system, antennas and controller...... unfortunately they have already done this but for just their Enterprise X2 drone. They need to release a Skydio 3 consumer drone with these upgrades.... without improved antennas in the Skydio anything else they do will be nearly meaningless.
Perhaps. But it's not an impossibility.

Perhaps. But it's not an impossibility.
No, not an impossibility, but until then, I use this silly but absolutely necessary rig to get the performance out of the Skydio I need:

3D62AFB8-FE7D-4C21-B3C3-AD3E001E1851_1_201_a.jpeg

I would happily give it up for a Mavic 3 with similar obstacle avoidance. The Skydio is fantastic at deciding on a path long before it gets in trouble so the footage is relatively smooth and usable. I am pretty good at staying out of trouble on my own with the obstacle avoidance turned off on my other drones, but there are areas that only the Skydio can go when moving forward at a decent speed.

I have watched one video where the Mavic 3 avoidance tech was pushed pretty hard and it performed well but I am still sitting out for a few months until all of its features are enabled. My Air 2S + Skydio 2 pretty much covers everything I need.... it just would be nice to get them in one drone.

I could care less about the camera at all. I just fly and spy.. long distances currently with an Air 2S, Alientech duo, and a tripltek 8 pro. Should I upgrade?? LOL

Reactions: Saladshooter
If you either can't comprehend simple English and/or are going to deliberately distort what I said (I can't tell which it is) then I suggest you just stop commenting.
Not distorting, just what your saying isn't 100% logical in the movie production industry. You're making it seem like the basic MP2 is good enough compared to a 1". Which even then, is why there's the MP3 CINE where it shoots different quality compared to its own basic line of MP3. Can you please list what big production movies have used the MP2 in their production? Because most would want to keep 1" sensor images consistent if they care what they are shooting. If there were no real "PRO" line of drones, then why are there bigger better drones that do have removable lenses to capture certain footage in the REAL professional industry. As a drone gets bigger, there are different rules and regulations though, so I think these prosumer drones are there for the basic photographer/videographer to enjoy without the hassle of rules. But like others said, that's just an opinion.

Not distorting, just what your saying isn't 100% logical in the movie production industry.
I did not say that the entire industry just uses Mavics, and I did not say that the video from an M2P, for example, is as good as that from a Red. I did say that the industry is, nevertheless, using the M2P for some material, which definitely counts as professional use.
You're making it seem like the basic MP2 is good enough compared to a 1".
The M2P sensor is 1".
Which even then, is why there's the MP3 CINE where it shoots different quality compared to its own basic line of MP3.
It's the same camera - the Cine version just includes a ProRes license.
Can you please list what big production movies have used the MP2 in their production?
No - you can research that yourself. And I did not mention "big production movies" - that's a straw man argument, something you appear to be very fond of using. I referred to the broader TV and movie industry.
Because most would want to keep 1" sensor images consistent if they care what they are shooting. If there were no real "PRO" line of drones, then why are there bigger better drones that do have removable lenses to capture certain footage in the REAL professional industry.
The "REAL" professional industry? Is that in contrast to the "FAKE" professional industry?

And why are there bigger drones? To carry bigger cameras of course because, contrary to the ridiculous arguments you are making, there is not just one single professional category of drones or cameras. Sometimes you are better of with a smaller, more portable package, for example.
As a drone gets bigger, there are different rules and regulations though, so I think these prosumer drones are there for the basic photographer/videographer to enjoy without the hassle of rules. But like others said, that's just an opinion.
That depends how big it gets. You can carry a Red on a sub-55 lb drone - I use one of those. But if you want to lift an IMAX camera then it's going over 55 lbs, and that's when the regulations change, at least in the US.

The range of drones available caters both to needs and budgets, the same as with lots of other tools, so obviously most non-pro users are going to buy less expensive drones. But it's a logical fallacy to assert that the converse applies - that pro users won't use them.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21