DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Probably picking up an Air 2S on Black Friday, Flight time/general speed vs Mini 2

Hello again,

I sold my mini 2 to a friend a few months ago but have been regretting it ever since. The thing is that I really want the activetrack capability, obstacle avoidance, better dusk/low light video, better range/antennas (lots of interference near me), and a higher top speed/normal mode speed. The Mini 2 was fantastic otherwise.

Those of you who have the both, is the flight time comparable if I'm just cruising around? I think I averaged about 16-21 minutes if I landed at around 20% with the Mini 2.

Does using activetrack and the mastershots drastically reduce flight time?

Thank you for your time if you can comment!
The Range of both the Mini2 and the Air2S is just about the same. There are certain conditions/areas where the extra antennas of the Air2S ( It supposedly has them in the rear legs as opposed to just the front) MIGHT be a plus but if you are usually in an area that the Mini 2 struggled with range, I would expect the same out of the Air2S.
Every drone that I have had struggled in the same locations so it is all relative to the environment you would normally fly.

The flight time, in my experience, is slightly better with the Mini2. Maybe by just a few minutes so not a shattering difference. Again, relative to how you use and more importantly, the amount of wind. Flying against and stabilizing against strong winds is going to really chew up the battery!

The camera is the biggest advantage of the Air2S over the Mini2. If you are interested in filming in "low light" or less than "perfect" light, the bigger sensor and the more modern processing is the only choice. If the scene is very bright and not a lot of contrast areas(shadows, etc) the Mini2 is actually very good but if you take away the light or want more dynamic range or more detail to "play with" in post...It falls apart.
Not to mention that the gimble on the Air2S is metal so it is inherently tougher

The Mini2 looked and felt faster only because of its size and noise as accelerating. The Air2S has a much faster rate when climbing and descending (very noticeable on descent, especially the first few times...lol) But top speeds are about the same unless the aforementioned wind is added ....then the Mini2 will show it's limitations.

The active track as well as a few of the other features are great if you are into them and I especially like the "Master Shots" feature...very cool for those opportunities that you want a nice "feature" clip!!

There is one concern that has been a problem for some and that is the Air2S combined with the Fly app (same app as the Mini2) is very "intensive" and uses a lot of resources both processor and memory so if you have a "borderline" phone/device, it may show performance issues compared to using it with the Mini2. They (DJI) must rely more on the processing in the app for the Air2s as opposed to the Mini2? It has gotten better but there is still a difference

Reactions: pommy
Yes! Choose the Air 2S over the Air 2 for sure. 100%.

Aside from the potential "saving" (are you really saving though?) the Air 2 has an inferior camera, less sensors and an older model.

Buying a Pro 2 over the upcoming Pro 3 makes sense, but the Air 2 vs Air 2S? not so much.

If you had the Air 2 already and didn't want to upgrade to the Air 2S (and some people still do because of the camera etc), that would make some sense - but if you don't have a drone, getting the Air 2 doesn't add up.

Buy once, cry once - get the drone you WANT, not the cheaper one.

...buyers' remorse sucks!

Oh, 23 mins is my average flying in all modes and landing with 20% (Air 2S)
Inferior camera on the Air2 - REALLY! Balderdash. Yes, the sensor is just a tad bit smaller; but the camera does fine. Still shoots 48MP and up to 4k video. Older model - wow, a whole what 1 year. The upgrades to the 2S do not warrant an upgrade - yet that is my opinion - like your post is yours.

Much like tablets and phones - some people cannot nor do not want all the tech at a much higher price. One reason I don't buy the Triptek tablet.

Same goes for 2 and 2S. If someone can get the 2 FlyMore for in the $700-$800 range versus the 2S at still well over $1,200 - esp if new to droning - the 2 makes far more economic sense. The tiny bit bigger sensor is not worth $500 IMHO, esp a a rec flyer. Now, if they do plan on going commercial - I'd go with the 2S; but nothing wrong with the 2 either.

And pure speculation on the 3 for price and specs until it hits the streets and DJI releases "official" stats. Many thought the "FPV" was going to be a killer drone and it is in some respects - but don't think it has sold all that great. Price point does dictate choices for many people. If anyone has an unlimited budget - then buy the best, which tends to be out of many of us price range for a hobby. The "3" will come with bugs like all versions have - so being first to the race is just being a "tester" for DJI in the beginning. Want to do that - be our guest, you're money, your time, your frustrations.

Air 2S Zoom Levels:
4K = 4x
2.7K = 6x
1080P = 8x

Hopefully someone can be of assistance and post the zoom levels of the Mavic Air 2.
2 video
4k - 1x zoom
2.7k - 2x zoom
1080p - 4 x zoom

I'd want to see how distorted / grainy 8x is on the 2S. Even at 4x in many conditions on the 2 - the video is not really even usable. I rarely if ever use above 3x due to the grain in it. 2x gets many of the shots I need even flying at treetop level.

Reactions: airbuspilot
tlswift58 - here you go, pop your toys back in your stroller, shhhh calm down.

Age 63? Is that a typo? Such a childish reply to what was a pleasant chat amongst other drone owners, each observing the others perspective (not taking it personally).

OP - a further point to consider the Air 2S might be the resale value? Just a thought ??

2 video
4k - 1x zoom
2.7k - 2x zoom
1080p - 4 x zoom

I'd want to see how distorted / grainy 8x is on the 2S. Even at 4x in many conditions on the 2 - the video is not really even usable. I rarely if ever use above 3x due to the grain in it. 2x gets many of the shots I need even flying at treetop level.
Thanks for posting the Mavic Air 2 zoom levels. I surveil the neighborhood, so I appreciate the extra zoom of the Air 2S.

I didn't know NO zoom at 4K. Is there 4K zoom available at 30 fps?

Since we fly in Extreme weather conditions we do some differences.

The Air 2S has some other slight advantages
The gimbal is bigger and stronger and there fore can negotiate the wind better when taking shots in Pano mode
That bigger sensor does make a big difference in Low light conditions , great for lightning pictures.
The 5K makes for nicer video frames to grab , great for lightning pictures.

Both the Air 2 and the Air 2S are great drones , I doubt anyone could choose from the series of Storm Panos we posted as to what drone took what pictures.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm

Has anyone come across issues with their Air 2 or 2s? I've been poking around and have come across a concerning number of posts on vision sensor errors, and even a few random "fall from sky" events days to months into owning the drone. FWIR one was an ESC error, a few deadlocked during a mastershot, a few more fell from the sky during tracking. Some of this could maybe be phone related depending on where the processing happens, but I wouldn't expect a fall from the sky event. I have an iPhone XS at the moment and may upgrade late next year.

When I fly, I fly in all sorts of places. Many are over water or not accessible if I would have a failure and that $500 flyaway cost is no joke if deemed non warranty.

I know I want the Air 2S, but the whole reliability thing is bugging me.

Since we fly in Extreme weather conditions we do some differences.

The Air 2S has some other slight advantages
The gimbal is bigger and stronger and there fore can negotiate the wind better when taking shots in Pano mode
That bigger sensor does make a big difference in Low light conditions , great for lightning pictures.
The 5K makes for nicer video frames to grab , great for lightning pictures.

Both the Air 2 and the Air 2S are great drones , I doubt anyone could choose from the series of Storm Panos we posted as to what drone took what pictures.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm
Flying in extreme weather? The Mavic Air 2 has the upper hand.

The Mavic Air 2 is authorized to -10°C vs 0°C on the Air 2S.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Flying in extreme weather? The Mavic Air 2 has the upper hand.

The Mavic Air 2 is authorized to -10°C vs 0°C on the Air 2S.
So this really comes down to the Battery, and when it comes to the battery this can really vary.
Since the air 2 and the Air 2S use the same battery , they should be very close in extreme cold temps.

I think they were just smart to pull back on the Specs on the Air2S and close the window a bit.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

To my knowledge the lower temperature limitation is due to the camera gimbal performance. Larger camera = more restrictive limitation on the Air 2S.

I could be mistaken.

Its possible .

The only drone we flew that the camera was affected where as it jerked in the extreme cold at times was the Mini .
So it can happen but I have not see anything like that on the Air 2 or the Air 2S .

Its much more critical that the drone starts in the Cold by keeping the battery warm.. if you can get it started
you can get thru the flight.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Its possible .

The only drone we flew that the camera was affected where as it jerked in the extreme cold at times was the Mini .
So it can happen but I have not see anything like that on the Air 2 or the Air 2S .

Its much more critical that the drone starts in the Cold by keeping the battery warm.. if you can get it started
you can get thru the flight.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I have footage of my Mavic Air 2 camera jerking from last October. Temperature was around freezing.

Funny enough, the camera didn't jerk on my coldest flight.

OAT: -23°F (-30°C)
Takeoff Battery Temperature: 77°F (25°C)
Low Battery Temperature: 75°F (24°C)
High Battery Temperature: 78°F (26°C)

There is one concern that has been a problem for some and that is the Air2S combined with the Fly app (same app as the Mini2) is very "intensive" and uses a lot of resources both processor and memory
This is a point I’ve been meaning to refer to.

My screen was dimming recently, it wasn’t that hot of a day really - no more than usual anyway. I put it down to the app load as I’d had this same issue on my iPhone 6S Plus previously.

Strange though. Using my iPhone 11 it was very rare this dimming occurred (unless it was unavoidable direct sun onto the screen).

Frustrated, I was closing apps, restarting, standing in the shade - still dim. Grrr ?

However, by flicking one switch, it’s never done it since.

The solution?

…charging my phone with the controller while flying!

The extra internal heat generated by the battery being charged was enough to dim the screen.

This simple toggle has stopped me from thinking about upgrading my phone (again).

Might not work with older phones obviously, but worth a shot if you are experiencing it more often and you have it switched on ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143