DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem screwing in one of the replacement propellers

Winglet

Reactions
Hi all!

Never thought my first post would be regarding such a simple thing as replacing a propeller but yeah, it is what it is.
Having the MM now for a couple weeks, loving it but today I ran i bit of trouble. Due to a pilot error (indoors, stupid) I hit a window slightly. Nothing serious, bit of damage on the rear props but nothing really bad. Just to be on the safe side decided to replace them. All went ok (did it as delicately as possible ofcourse), except one of the screws doesn't like to go in straight. Tried it with different (all new ofcourse) screws and different props but the result is the same. It flies perfectly normal but with my experience as a real life pilot it just doesn't seems right if things look this out of balance. Anyone of you had the same situation? Can I continue flying with this or should I send it back to dji? I am a bit disappointed, since I am always really careful with these things it still can go wrong this fast.

Attachments

• 20191206_185057.jpg
    20191206_185057.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 120
Reactions: old man mavic
i think you broke the thread, if you will send it to dji, they will change the motor and you will pay, it is not a warranty problem because the original prop was not like this

Hi all!

Never thought my first post would be regarding such a simple thing as replacing a propeller but yeah, it is what it is.
Having the MM now for a couple weeks, loving it but today I ran i bit of trouble. Due to a pilot error (indoors, stupid) I hit a window slightly. Nothing serious, bit of damage on the rear props but nothing really bad. Just to be on the safe side decided to replace them. All went ok (did it as delicately as possible ofcourse), except one of the screws doesn't like to go in straight. Tried it with different (all new ofcourse) screws and different props but the result is the same. It flies perfectly normal but with my experience as a real life pilot it just doesn't seems right if things look this out of balance. Anyone of you had the same situation? Can I continue flying with this or should I send it back to dji? I am a bit disappointed, since I am always really careful with these things it still can go wrong this fast.
dont continue to fly it at the moment what you need to do is remove the screw clean off any residual thread lock from the screw thread and the threaded hole in the motor then leaving the prop off take the screw and very carefully try and screw it into the hole keeping it as upright as possible it helps if you turn it backwards slowly till you can feel the thread engage then screw it in gently do this a couple of times till you get a feel for it if you have been lucky and not stripped the thread then with a new screw you can fit the prop back on you will feel a little resistance as you screw it in this is due to the thread lock good luck ps only use the screwdriver that came with the MM as you dont want to over,tighten the screw

Yea the screw hole is either cross threaded and or the motor top plate is bent. looks like that motor should be replaced as no way to know how well that blades attachment will hold up under time with load on it.

You do not want that screw coming out pitching that blade in flight you getting it back in straight or not at this point.

Reactions: scooot
my mavic mini was in service at rotterdam, i see you are from netherlands, give them an e-mail and ask them, maybe is cheaper an original motor and they send it to you. Just for curiosity and as a joke....have you smoked something green when you changed the prop? :)))))

my mavic mini was in service at rotterdam, i see you are from netherlands, give them an e-mail and ask them, maybe is cheaper an original motor and they send it to you. Just for curiosity and as a joke....have you smoked something green when you changed the prop? :)))))
Haha Thanks WooZie, I’ll give them a call on Monday, see if we can work something out, would be great. If you look at the picture I get your point regarding the smoking but I can assure you that wasn’t the case haha.

Haha Thanks WooZie, I’ll give them a call on Monday, see if we can work something out, would be great. If you look at the picture I get your point regarding the smoking but I can assure you that wasn’t the case haha.
you will find that it is not just the motor that gets changed, its the whole arm that is changed ,but i would still do as i suggested when you come to change other props to prevent it happening again not trying to lecture you ,just passing on knowledge gained from previous modelling with small screws over many years

just joking my friend, please don't get it like appears :)) i have been in a journey in amsterdam and i liked it :)))), but unfortunately i was with my wife :)))), but now when i saw where are you from, i remembered that journey :)))

you will find that it is not just the motor that gets changed, its the whole arm that is changed ,but i would still do as i suggested when you come to change other props to prevent it happening again not trying to lecture you ,just passing on knowledge gained from previous modelling with small screws over many years
Thanks for the tip, I'll just tried that and it seems to work. Everything is in place and looks like it's supposed to do now! Nevertheless, just to make sure I'll see if I can get one of those replacement arm/motor.

if you know how to solder - a whole replacement arm is $18 at aliexpress. that will require to take off the top lid and unsolder motor wires. opening the lid is probably the most difficult part of it.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan