DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems/dislike people have with drones

What the park “wants” and what the park is legally entitled to are two completely different concepts. As a responsible and considerate pilot and citizen, I can carefully select a time and location within a state park which is deserted. I can also leave if that situation changes. No one’s solitude is disturbed - no one except for the misinformed park ranger with a distorted view of his jurisdiction.

The regs need to be made extremely clear and unambiguous so that we can all share and enjoy our parks.
What an attitude. The regs are clear enough to anyone not looking for a loophole. As "a responsible and considerate pilot and citizen" you should quit trying to push the envelope and find a place where you're not giving other folks a hard time.
It's attitudes like this that will ruin the hobby for those of us willing to respect the views of park authorities.

What the park “wants” and what the park is legally entitled to are two completely different concepts. As a responsible and considerate pilot and citizen, I can carefully select a time and location within a state park which is deserted. I can also leave if that situation changes. No one’s solitude is disturbed - no one except for the misinformed park ranger with a distorted view of his jurisdiction.

The regs need to be made extremely clear and unambiguous so that we can all share and enjoy our park

What is odd is that these same people have no issue with someone taking photos or video with a camera or smart phone, or an issue with an airplane flying over the same area that is 10 to hundreds of times louder than a drone. Yet they complain about how a drone invades their privacy or solitude. I call FOUL!

Edit: I just saw additional posts showing the park has rules about launch and recovery of drones. Those should be respected and if you disagree with them petition those that enacted them to change them to something more drone friendly. DO NOT break rules just because you disagree with them! Work to change them!
Regarding airplanes, many park areas have established minimum altitudes that a plane can fly, specifically to address your noise concern. As for people having no issues having their photo taken, that's just made up speculation.

Reactions: Howard70

The regs need to be made extremely clear and unambiguous so that we can all share and enjoy our parks.

Why in the world would the park NOT be legally able to define what is restricted when ON their property? Just like "No Guns", "No Alcohol", "No ATV's" etc. It's LAND USE and they are legally able to say what happens on/from the land they manage.

The regs are very clearly written and leave no room for grey area or loopholes which you are probably unhappy about. If they were able to regulate Airspace it would have been worded to INCLUDE airspace. It's a Land Use issue and fairly common and approved wording for such.

I'm going to get lots of hate on this one, but I'm in the camp of people who think that State and National parks and drones don't mix. There are so few places left where one can find solitude. Can you launch your drone from the boundary of the park and then legally fly over that park? Yeah, you can. And if you do that, I think you're missing the point of parks.

I whole heartedly AGREE! The reason why many of us (not all of us obviously) visit these secluded areas is to get back to the quietness and seclusion of Nature. Thank goodness there are still a few places where we can do this "for now".

Why in the world would the park NOT be legally able to define what is restricted when ON their property? Just like "No Guns", "No Alcohol", "No ATV's" etc. It's LAND USE and they are legally able to say what happens on/from the land they manage.

The regs are very clearly written and leave no room for grey area or loopholes which you are probably unhappy about. If they were able to regulate Airspace it would have been worded to INCLUDE airspace. It's a Land Use issue and fairly common and approved wording for such.
You miss my point entirely. I have no objection to a landowner restricting activities ON their property. The problem is that many owners and stewards consider the airspace OVER their property as being included in what they can restrict. This includes LEOs many of whom do not read the regs as narrowly as you do.

To those who find quiet solitude in these parks, my activities don’t interfere with that enjoyment and a pilot who doesn’t empathize with that - shame on him. However, he is within the law - poorly written as it is.

Maybe because of this: (from the park website) "-No person shall launch, land, or operate a powered unmanned aircraft or Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park."

It's a fact that folks that flaunt the rules in flying their drones don't endear themselves very effectively.
The key wording here is "within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park." there is nothing to stop you from launching and landing a few feet outside the park boundary and flying over the parks airspace as much as you want. This goes back to an earlier post I made when I said that I prefer to fly outside the view of other people whenever possible. Stealth piloting, as I like to call it, has worked very well for me personally and most of the time, folks on the ground don't even notice your drone in the air unless you fly real low to the ground.

You miss my point entirely. I have no objection to a landowner restricting activities ON their property. The problem is that many owners and stewards consider the airspace OVER their property as being included in what they can restrict. This includes LEOs many of whom do not read the regs as narrowly as you do.

To those who find quiet solitude in these parks, my activities don’t interfere with that enjoyment and a pilot who doesn’t empathize with that - shame on him. However, he is within the law - poorly written as it is.
"do not read the regs as narrowly" It's not a matter of how you read the regulations. They're clear. Parks, cities, and other entities cannot control the NAS that overlies their property. But they can control whether you operate a drone from the ground on their property. Yes, there are property managers and law officers who do not understand that, but they can be educated.

I do not agree that drones don't interfere with quiet solitude in parks and wilderness areas. I've been a pilot for 45+ years and my high-frequency hearing loss reminds me that airplanes are very noisy. My experience with drones has demonstrated that they're also somewhat noisy. In a quiet place, they're very noticeable and distracting.

Shame? I'm not ashamed of those experiences and I'm not ashamed that I think there are places where drones don't belong. I feel the same way about boom boxes, dirt bikes, and fireworks. And people who talk on their cell phones in concerts and movies. You may be less inclined to enjoy quiet places or more tolerant of noise. I won't venture to suggest that there's any shame in that.

Maybe because of this: (from the park website) "-No person shall launch, land, or operate a powered unmanned aircraft or Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park."

It's a fact that folks that flaunt the rules in flying their drones don't endear themselves very effectively.
Yes, however, the sculptures are not in the park and the hills I described are near my house. 70 miles from Anza Borrego

Reactions: Defens
Why do people hate drones? I made a video OUT IN THE DESERT. No people anywhere. Just me, my dog and my Mavic 2. I posted said video to a couple Facebook groups specifically for this desert ( Anza Borrego). What I got was a lot of likes and comments. There were also plenty of drone haters chiming in. Never mind the video showcasing the desert we love, let's just hate on the drone.

You can view my video at
and see what all the hate is about.
The disturbance of the sculptures obviously! If you look closely you can see the fear in their eyes 😳 poor beasts I’m guessing there won’t be any newborns this season! Hope your proud of yourself mister !🙃

Well, regarding post #19, I see that the Youtube link provided in the original post is not the one the OP said he'd received complaints about. I understand that the complaints were in response to that same video being posted on Facebook. My mistake.

So maybe there was a wolf.

Why do people hate drones? I made a video OUT IN THE DESERT. No people anywhere. Just me, my dog and my Mavic 2. I posted said video to a couple Facebook groups specifically for this desert ( Anza Borrego). What I got was a lot of likes and comments. There were also plenty of drone haters chiming in. Never mind the video showcasing the desert we love, let's just hate on the drone.

You can view my video at
and see what all the hate is about.
I do not believe in Facebook. I only send my videos to know people who like to see my stuff. If you send to the Facebook crowd, I assume they are mostly lefties who try to control your lives. Sort of like the Tweeters too who only accept their concept of ideas and censor the rest.

Reactions: Frank Dracman
On another note, not only did the OP not take the time to read the park rules, they griped about all the haters. What haters? That video didn't have a single comment.
That I’ll agree on, because there were 2 likes, 0 dislikes, and 0 comments when I looked on YT.

While the parks are there for solitude there are many places that drones could be used within them without destroying solitude. I can certainly see not allowing them in wilderness areas where only access is on foot. If any other mode of transportation is allowed then drones should not be banned. If drones are banned from an area because of noise or wildlife, then overflight by manned aircraft should also be banned (and I don’t mean just 2000’ AGL) as the decibel level from manned aircraft (not gliders) is considerably louder than a consumer drone and therefore more obtrusive than any drone would be.

Don’t get me wrong. I am definitely an eco friendly person and have enjoyed the great outdoors during my lifetime, but banning drone flight in some of the most scenic areas of the country is just way overboard and unnecessary. Implementing common sense rules for use in the park system only makes sense and sure beats having people sneaking around to do it.

Regarding airplanes, many park areas have established minimum altitudes that a plane can fly, specifically to address your noise concern. As for people having no issues having their photo taken, that's just made up speculation.
As for aircraft, they are requested (not required) to maintain at least a 2000’ AGL altitude in those areas. In a noisy urban environment I can hear aircraft at much greater distance than 2000’ (not just altitude) that are much louder than my hex drone at 100’ AGL. My drone at 300’ AGL would likely not be noticed from the sound it emits, but a plane at 3000’ would not be able to be ignored. This is why I have a big issue with the disturbing solitude excuse.

It is also much safer sending a drone up a ways to get a shot than climbing on rocks or wading out in a stream. Emergency services are not easy to summon there. My agility is a bit lacking compared to 30 or 40 years ago.

Reactions: orionshooter
I do not believe in Facebook. I only send my videos to know people who like to see my stuff. If you send to the Facebook crowd, I assume they are mostly lefties who try to control your lives. Sort of like the Tweeters too who only accept their concept of ideas and censor the rest.

At the floating fish camp I visit off the shore of Louisiana, there's an informal but strictly observed rule. No talk of politics, religion, or money.

Reactions: DoomMeister
If, after a demonstration by some skilled drone pilots, would this State Park consider allowing flights with altitude minimums? I wonder though, does a State have the authority to regulate the NAS? On that subject, I‘m sure the FAA gets the gamut of drone detractors, and possibly makes rules based on those comments/concerns.

I hesitate to call people drone haters as it seems a little harsh, though some hate everything that isn’t theirs. Turn back the clock to the early days of manned aviation. People then were generally aprehensive of seeing a plane in the sky. These days an airplane nary gets a second thought, and they’re noisier than drones. One of these days drones will be as acceptable as manned aircraft. It’s just my opinion. The spying thing will dwindle down to hardly news because it just isn’t happening enough to make the media. Insect drones are another story. Fly the rules. Best one can do. The rest will take care of itself eventually.
My father told me when he was a boy (born 1938) that when a plane flew overhead, people would stop and look up at it.

People are predictable and hate anything they are ignorant and unfamiliar with!

The key wording here is "within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park." there is nothing to stop you from launching and landing a few feet outside the park boundary and flying over the parks airspace as much as you want. This goes back to an earlier post I made when I said that I prefer to fly outside the view of other people whenever possible. Stealth piloting, as I like to call it, has worked very well for me personally and most of the time, folks on the ground don't even notice your drone in the air unless you fly real low to the ground.
It's funny, when I setup to fly from a roadside pullout or parking area where I fly in Tonto National Forest with my Mini 2, I set up a camp chair with an umbrella for shade on my screen & a bright orange landing pad. People who see me immediately look up to see if they can find the drone or approach me & ask where it is (I point & they can usually see it because I always fly with a strobe on, mostly to deter the local hawks). The funniest reaction I've had so far is a woman who cheered loudly when I brought my drone down on the landing pad!

Reactions: ScottNH
Some things never change, including selfishness.

This debate feels identical to the never-ending conflict between hikers and off-road mountain bikers over the Open Space Preserves here in the SF Bay Area.

Hikers want to ban bikers from the trails because it disturbs their peace. Mountain Bikers want to designate certain trails bike-only.

The solution is simple, but hard for the selfish: Compromise. I can think of many ways to accommodate the desire of both classes of users of State Parks so that nature lovers and recreational drone flyers can both enjoy the park in the way they want to.

However, as long as there are those who will not give anything, there will be bitter conflict. Watch it right here in many discussions.

Here's a question for those looking for peace and solitude, and the Park flyin' wannabes... Do you need to have what YOU want 365/24/7? Is there no willingness to give some days and/or hours to conflicting use that, well, you just don't use the park for that purpose when it's being shared?

Geez, that's the way we used to do things, people got along pretty well, and we all were generally happy and satisfied will our friends and neighbors.

Ever since Amerca got "woke", all social conflict seems to be about winning your viewpoint, no compromises, crush your opponent. This thread sounds a lot like that, at least the latest batch of posts.

Don’t get me wrong. I am definitely an eco friendly person and have enjoyed the great outdoors during my lifetime, but banning drone flight in some of the most scenic areas of the country is just way overboard and unnecessary. Implementing common sense rules for use in the park system only makes sense and sure beats having people sneaking around to do it.
It's a sad metric on our culture right now that you feel you must provide a disclaimer for simply being reasonable. Stating that we should find some way that everyone can get some of what they want.

I didn't get you wrong, no, not at all. Problem is we've evolved culturally into a society of arrested development adults who have the my way or the highway attitude, and try and have a reasonable discussion and you'll immediately be shouted down as a misogynistic racist homophobe.

Oh and get rid of that John Deere cap, you hater!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan