DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems with Active Track - Trace

rji2goleez

Reactions
I'm a newbie here but I've been reading and watching tutorials as much as possible. I've been having issues getting the Mavic Pro to stay tracked in Active Track Trace mode (I haven't tried any others).

I tested this on the street by getting the Mavic maybe 15 feet up and 20 or so behind me. I select the Active Track Icon (on the left), draw a box around myself, then tap Trace (on the right side). It seems to work fine just walking around.

Next, I've been trying to get the Mavic to track my boat. I've tried various distances and heights from close up to further away. The best I've been able to do is get the Mavic to follow me while going maybe 10 mph. Any faster (gradually faster) and the drone doesn't keep up and/or loses the active track.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I see these videos on YouTube of boats going 20-35mph and the Mavic has no problem keeping up, Suggestions? Could my bird be defective?

Reactions: Bigfoot
There's a slider on the right side of your screen when you activate active track that sets the maximum speed, make sure you have that dialed all the way up to 30mph. Other than than make sure you hit GO after you've selected the target, plus as you said make sure you're in Trace, not spotlight.. I made all those mistakes myself, now I have no problem tracking a boat at 22mph

They never mentioned all these things in the YouTube videos. Some make it sound so simple. Hit active, track, draw a box, hit go and your done. I'm not complaining, they are extremely helpful.

Thanks for this! I'll be sure to give it a try . . .

There's a slider on the right side of your screen when you activate active track that sets the maximum speed, make sure you have that dialed all the way up to 30mph. Other than than make sure you hit GO after you've selected the target, plus as you said make sure you're in Trace, not spotlight.. I made all those mistakes myself, now I have no problem tracking a boat at 22mph

I checked and it's all the way up. Still it seems like the drone lags a bit. Should I be able manually control the drone while in active track? I tried throttling forward to get closer but it doesn't seem to be so responsive if at all. More testing is needed but I feel like the drone won't catch up if I make the boat go faster. Can't upload a clip right now as I get a message is that it's too large. Thoughts?

So, yesterday I went out again with better luck. I was able to get Trace mode to keep pace with a relatively slow moving boat. However, it is still puzzling to know what controls the distance of the drone to the subject. Sometimes it comes in and then goes out. In the video here, all I controlled was the slider to move left and right and at times, it seemed the Mavic would get further and further away even though my starting position was relatively close. Should I be able to control with the right joystick while in Trace Mode? It seems the left joystick does allow for altitude control . . .

YouTube

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229