DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Processing Software

Cjcoolcat

Reactions
Hi

Interested to know what processing software you use for video and photo ?

I have Adobe Lightroom. I am a photographer so this and Adobe Photoshop are used for that.

I haven’t taken any video yet but wasn’t sure if you were able to process stills from video ?

For video, DaVinci Resolve R15 Public Beta - better than most paid solutions, word-class production-level grading, comes with DJI LUTs, and best of all nice and free !

The only caveat is you can't output 4K without buying the full program, which is only $300. But you can load 4k files and output to 1080, which is almost as good :)

Photos - I'm with you - Photoshop still wins that one for me...

Reactions: Cjcoolcat
Free version of Resolve 15 does output 4K. 14 didn't.
Been out of beta for quite a while too.

Oh, and I'll save you the first big stumbling block. As soon as you load the software, go into Master Project settings and change the frame rates in the 3 places there to match your source footage. Very important you do this BEFORE you import any media, otherwise you will get constant playback problems, and it will be impossible to get sound files to play properly.

Photoshop/Lightroom for photography (plus Quickshot -formerly Enlight- for quick'n'dirty editing on iOS devices)

Adobe Premiere for video editing

As with Photoshop, there will be a steep initial learning curve, but once you get over the hump it's pretty awesome! -To your initial question, yes you can harvest individual pictures from a video clip. If I remember correctly, you press shift and enter.

I would go to YouTube and wade through some of the training videos. It'll all sound like babble, but once you nail down some of the basics, the clouds will part.

The program is laid out more logically than most, and with no "gotcha's". Even the YouTube videos can sound intimidating, with unfamiliar lingo casually thrown around. Just push through and it'll gradually make sense.

I'm still learning the program, and ordered the $49.95 training manual from Amazon that they recommended. The other cool thing will be when you're able to upload a video that YOU assembled to YouTube so that other members of your family can watch.

Now THAT's really cool!

As with Photoshop, there will be a steep initial learning curve, but once you get over the hump it's pretty awesome! -To your initial question, yes you can harvest individual pictures from a video clip. If I remember correctly, you press shift and enter.

I would go to YouTube and wade through some of the training videos. It'll all sound like babble, but once you nail down some of the basics, the clouds will part.

The program is laid out more logically than most, and with no "gotcha's". Even the YouTube videos can sound intimidating, with unfamiliar lingo casually thrown around. Just push through and it'll gradually make sense.

I'm still learning the program, and ordered the $49.95 training manual from Amazon that they recommended. The other cool thing will be when you're able to upload a video that YOU assembled to YouTube so that other members of your family can watch.

Now THAT's really cool!

Thanks for the tips. Now I just need some decent weather to go flying. Looks pretty calm at the moment but it’s only 7am anything can happen in the next couple of hrs ay.

Too gusty here in Buck's too. Wanted to get out and put Tap-Fly to test but it's a no-no.

Just my tuppence worth on editing software,
I've been a pro photographer for 30+ years and a recent film maker (same as you, can't resist new tech!). I use Capture One Pro for stills, but it's a handful! Lightroom and PS looks like a good solution.

I use Final Cut Pro, which has had a lot of criticism since V3, but is now pretty much sorted out and for me works fine. I tried Davinci but gave up as it is tricky to get to grips with and as I'm a shooter not an editor, FCP X works for my limited personal and marketing output needs. It's a bit £££ to start with but it's an upfront one off and Apple are good at free upgrades, where as Premier (I think) you have to buy a monthly cloud subscription which is expensive if you aren't using it on a very regular basis.

I see you are in Shropshire. My daughter starts at Harper Adams (also in Shropshire) next week. Any good flying around there?

Too gusty here in Buck's too. Wanted to get out and put Tap-Fly to test but it's a no-no.

Just my tuppence worth on editing software,
I've been a pro photographer for 30+ years and a recent film maker (same as you, can't resist new tech!). I use Capture One Pro for stills, but it's a handful! Lightroom and PS looks like a good solution.

I use Final Cut Pro, which has had a lot of criticism since V3, but is now pretty much sorted out and for me works fine. I tried Davinci but gave up as it is tricky to get to grips with and as I'm a shooter not an editor, FCP X works for my limited personal and marketing output needs. It's a bit £££ to start with but it's an upfront one off and Apple are good at free upgrades, where as Premier (I think) you have to buy a monthly cloud subscription which is expensive if you aren't using it on a very regular basis.

I see you are in Shropshire. My daughter starts at Harper Adams (also in Shropshire) next week. Any good flying around there?

There are some interesting places but flying is restricted in quite a few areas so need to respect the rules. I live by The Wrekin so think that will be my first port of call. I am interested in getting landscape shots and some aerial views later on. I have seen some pics taken by other locals and they are pretty good.

Will stick to lightroom for now and if I feel I’m not getting the best out of the images will look at the other software suggested.

Hope your daughter does well.

Many thanks for your support.

Thanks for the tips. Now I just need some decent weather to go flying. Looks pretty calm at the moment but it’s only 7am anything can happen in the next couple of hrs ay.

As with computers, garbage in will equal garbage out. Become proficient with the controls, and adjust the gimbal and pan settings so that they produce "professional" results. Herky Jerky doesn't look good in drone photography. The settings are key (-I've learned all of this by doing it wrong, then correcting). If you need help, just let me know. I can give you what I use for the camera set-up

Here's one of my "learning" videos that I created with Resolve. There are LOTS of errors, and the subsequent video was much better. Problems are:

1. Video too long
2. Herky Jerky. I slowed down the pan and tilt settings making the later video smoother.
3. Wrong transitions. I used additive dissolve instead of the regular.
4. I was bird-attacked on the last clip, so it ended odd. I went back and corrected.

Amazon Drive

As with computers, garbage in will equal garbage out. Become proficient with the controls, and adjust the gimbal and pan settings so that they produce "professional" results. Herky Jerky doesn't look good in drone photography. The settings are key (-I've learned all of this by doing it wrong, then correcting). If you need help, just let me know. I can give you what I use for the camera set-up

Here's one of my "learning" videos that I created with Resolve. There are LOTS of errors, and the subsequent video was much better. Problems are:

1. Video too long
2. Herky Jerky. I slowed down the pan and tilt settings making the later video smoother.
3. Wrong transitions. I used additive dissolve instead of the regular.
4. I was bird-attacked on the last clip, so it ended odd. I went back and corrected.

Amazon Drive

What a beautiful place. It’s so green.

Made me chuckle when you said Snellville Dead People in stead of cemetery. There is so much to learn.

I’m just pointing and shooting at the moment, like you say! Get a feel for things. haven’t a clue about the settings until I get the images in lightroom. But that will come with time. I spent a lot of time doing tutorials for photography to understand settings etc. So camera set up would be very helpful and speed up the learning process for the equipment.

I also like the amazon drive repository you use, must videos on here are not capatible in full screen mode as I use my iPad so it was refreshing to see something full screen to appreciated the quality.

I use Shotcut which is a nice free open source package for video editing.
DaVinci did not run on my aging PC.

For all image editing and especially 360image editing I can highly recommend Affinity Photo.
Very good software at a very reasonable price. Comes for Mac and windows and does not have the stupid rental scheme which Adobe has.

For viewing 360 images ,on an Android tablet you can use an app called VR Media Player by Poppolab.

Under windows you can use a software called fspviewer.
Welcome to the FSPViewer web pages

Last edited:
I just purchased power Director 17 and it is very easy to use. Much improved over version 15 and it outputs in h.265.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929