DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Programs you use in Post Processing?

Reactions
I'm willing to step up and buy the Adobe products, but I'm confused as to what each program does. Can I do color grading, editing, adding music of video and photos with Premier Pro and Lightroom - or do I need more? Photoshop, After Effects? What do you use?

I'm willing to step up and buy the Adobe products, but I'm confused as to what each program does. Can I do color grading, editing, adding music of video and photos with Premier Pro and Lightroom - or do I need more? Photoshop, After Effects? What do you use?

Adobe only has two options currently and that’s the photographers CC and Creative Cloud CC.

While you can edit video in Photoshop unless you work for Pixar it’s extreme overkill And will take forever to render anything.

Premier Pro is the best place to start. You’ll also need to download Adobe Media encoder. Premier Pro will be where 95% of your edits will take place and yes you can add music color grade lots of stuff.

You may not even find a reason to use After ever but After Effects is a VFX program. There is some overlap between AE and PP but the things NOT in Premier Pro that are in After Effects are powerful 3D editing and special effects renders.

Just to exercise my creative juices I make these Studio clips just as an exercise. This was 100% made in After Effects.

Lightroom is for Photos and won’t edit video

Reactions: halifax
Lightroom is the part of Photoshop that photographers use most often and so they kinda spun it off into it own program and made it look different and more streamlined looking but the truth is there is absolutely not a thing that Lightroom can do that Photoshop cannot.

Having said that, Lightroom is less complicated and easier to use. I still prefer Photoshop however.

Adobe audition is for sound mixing recording and editing. It’s overkill unless you are an audiophile though.

Reactions: fozzzy and RaySto
I miss my Sound blaster 7.1 s750 gigaworks speakers

I’ve been working with Dolby Atmos and I am liking it better than true surround sound actually because there are less variables like room size and resonance to deal with. I haven’t figured out how to get it to translate into YouTube. It sounds super weird when I upload and play back but apparently is possible.

Reactions: Super Dave O
I dont know about all that.
All i know is I miss speakers. Subbies especially.
I dont know if it's the lack of being perpetually shetfaced that lead
to some self conciousness, dare I say concern for the nieghbours
over time that makes them seem taboo these days, or if it's just me
getting old.

Could be as I am rambling. Atmos is great. I've only experienced it through cans, and an ok 2.1
setup, but you can tell they havnt just upped the EQ

Reactions: brett8883
I have all the Adobe apps but I prefer PhotoMechanic and CaptureOne. PhotoMechanic is so much faster than Bridge and CaptureOne has quite a bit more power than my Lightroom.
For video I use iMovie and FCP.

Just to piggyback off the above post ☝️ if you have a Mac iMovie is a great free app to get started and the photos app has a surprisingly powerful Raw editor,

Lightroom is the part of Photoshop that photographers use most often

Just to be clear, Brett...Lightroom is a standalone application, not part of Photoshop. Of course, they share DLL's and other code like Camera Raw.

As for something Lightroom can do that Photoshop can't. Image management and cataloging. This is what I I believe brings most photographers to LR (and of course, in the early days before CC, it was WAY cheaper than Photoshop!) Seems Adobe was smarter than even THEY thought.) :)

But, like you, too many years in PS to not make it my favorite app.

I have been video amatuer for many years now and I´m using Adobe Premiere Elements. In my opinion that program should fulfill your needs for a reasonable price.

Reactions: Donaldrke
Da Vinci Resolve (recommended by DJI)
in DJI store **** for your mavic pro

Reactions: TR Ganey
I agree with Maskuleva. I'm a long time user of Lightroom and Photoshop for photography. However, Premiere Elements is a great, cheap and easy to use program when getting started in video editing.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Lightroom has never been part of Photoshop that was eventually spun off. Parts of it (as kilomikebravo points out) such as Bridge, ACR, etc. yes -- so Lightroom is considered by some to just be a wrapper around those.

But it's not. It's so much more. Cataloging aside, you might be able to replicate metadata sync and keyframe editing in Photoshop, but it would be a lot of work and would still be very unfriendly.

For video, I recommend starting out with either Da Vinci Resolve or Adobe Premier Elements (not the full Premier Pro version).

Hyperlapse: if you end up doing a lot of this (and/or regular time-lapses on your DSLR) and want to edit them (rather than just do with the lower-rez video that DJI Go 4 produces), I recommend LRTimeLapse, which integrates with Lightroom (so you need both).

Chris

I have been video amatuer for many years now and I´m using Adobe Premiere Elements. In my opinion that program should fulfill your needs for a reasonable price.

Maskuleva: EXCELLENT suggestion, I forgot all about Elements. Haven't seen it in years but as you say, I expect it will do all the OP needs.

well, for generic photos, if you serious and need to work with layers and do heavy editing - there is really nothing to replace or substitute photoshop. if you need the latest one - probably not. i am on a very old one, and it still does all i need it to do - i haev tons of actions i run to process batches of files, when needed, whole routine is set for an automated import and conversion of raw files.

if you want a freeware product - well, it may be tricky. there is a gimp - GIMP , but it is still more of an ugly duckling compared to photoshop. other old freeware - https://www.getpaint.net/index.html - is also somewhat the same.
there is also something called PixlR - look it up.
if you go free way, you will also need to find how to do a raw file conversion - that i know nothing about, as i use embedded raw converter in the photoshop only.

for video - so far all i need i can do using free version of the davinci resolve, it now has version 16 beta2.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, Brett...Lightroom is a standalone application, not part of Photoshop. Of course, they share DLL's and other code like Camera Raw.

As for something Lightroom can do that Photoshop can't. Image management and cataloging. This is what I I believe brings most photographers to LR (and of course, in the early days before CC, it was WAY cheaper than Photoshop!) Seems Adobe was smarter than even THEY thought.) :)

But, like you, too many years in PS to not make it my favorite app.

You are right I meant that it’s just Camera Raw rewrapped. You are correct it does have the catalog ability (Lightroom Classic CC) I should have said the actual “photo editor” is the exact same as the Camera Raw filter in Photoshop or Bridge.

I do prefer the Bridge method however because I can still see the actual photo files in my computer’s file system.

Somewhat related question. Is there anyone here that use to use Bridge and or what had become “Lightroom Classic CC” that now uses what they currently call “Lightroom CC?”

I just don’t get it. It seems to lack many basic features of Lightroom Classic CC and Camera Raw or at least I can’t seem to enable them☹. Like just for example the out of gamut warnings and the post crop vignette options. I understand the cloud storage thing but if I put my portfolio on there I’d have to mortgage my home. Maybe it’s for if your work with a team and so I project is updated by one person then everybody sees the updates? Seems like a narrow use case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21