DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Guards for Mavic2 Pro

dsmith76

Reactions
I fly around trees quite a bit while doing photos for homes for sale. Any recommendation on prop guards? DJI has their own version, but I also see PGYTECH sells them, and they look a bit more rugged. Thanks

I fly around trees quite a bit while doing photos for homes for sale. Any recommendation on prop guards?
Any way to avoid the trees? The prop guards might catch on a tree if you happen to crash into one.

Yes, there are pros and cons of using the prop guards. They may save the props and prevent damage to the gimbal if it strikes the ground, but the guards also might cause the quad to hang up in the tree, which might be expensive to retrieve. Sometimes I have to get real close to a branch to get a good angle, and if there is a gust of wind it can blow me into the branch. Has not happened yet, but I have had some close calls.

Reactions: Former Member
@Thunderdrones mentioned a prop cage when I asked the same question. He’s also making something that may help to be announced soon.
DJI makes a prop cage for the Mavic Pro. I think there would be less of a chance that something like that would get caught in a tree, but it still has a lot of little openings that small branches could enter.

1551313735571.png

@Thunderdrones mentioned a prop cage when I asked the same question. He’s also making something that may help to be announced soon.

Thank you @AMann for mentioning me and I like your new avatar!

Yes prop cages are a good way to avoid trees in the first place. I have taught hundreds of people to fly over the years, and prop guards and cages help avoid obstacles in the fist place. My new design, along with OEM prop guards or cages, will reduce the amount of damage the drone will sustain.

Last edited:
I fly around trees quite a bit while doing photos for homes for sale. Any recommendation on prop guards? DJI has their own version, but I also see PGYTECH sells them, and they look a bit more rugged. Thanks

In this post Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 – repeated success! (Model T819) I am demonstrating the fact that I was using Litchi on a Samsung S2 tablet, which requires a somewhat tricky boot procedure to work with DJI drones. You see how the M2P camera follows my Goggles RE. SInce I was flying about a meter from my eyes, I used Pgytech prop guards not to protect the propellers but my eyes.

Before reading this thread, it didn't occur to me that the prop guards might increase the chance of the drone getting caught in a tree. That might influence the decision to use the prop guards or not.

Last edited:
In this post Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 – repeated success! (Model T819) I am demonstrating the fact that I was using Litchi on a Samsung S2 tablet, which requires a somewhat tricky boot procedure to work with DJI drones. You see how the M2P camera follows my Goggles RE. SInce I was flying about a meter from my eyes, I used Pgytech prop guards not to protect the propellers but my eyes.

Before reading this thread, it didn't occur to me that the prop guards might increase the chance of the drone getting caught in a tree. That might influence the decision to use the prop guards or not.

There are many posts here where people have hit an obstacle like a tree and their props stop, causing the drone to fall down, often into water. If you hit a tree with a prop guard or cage, your props and flight won’t stop. Which is better?

Reactions: Former Member
The real problem here is that all trees are different and there's really no way to guarantee a specific outcome if the Mavic does manage to make contact with a tree. The safest bet is to keep the Mavic away from trees (if possible).

There are many posts here where people have hit an obstacle like a tree and their props stop, causing the drone to fall down, often into water. If you hit a tree with a prop guard or cage, your props and flight won’t stop. Which is better?

First, I have to correct a mistake in my earlier post. My prop guards are by DJI, not by Pgytech.

Second, I watched several dozen Youtube videos showing Mavic drones flying amidst trees with prop guards on. I noted a couple of things. For instance, some prop guards consist of 4 totally separate pieces, and a branch or the like can get caught between the front and rear guards. It won't happen with DJI prop guards, which don't have an opening between the front and rear parts. Another thing I noted that not all forests are alike. Most of the forests shown in the videos have trees sprouting from bare ground. Finnish forests aren't like that. There's almost always something soft, like moss or shrubs, to soften the impact if a drone falls. Solid bedrock or hard sand do not support trees. Therefore I am not worried about the fall per se and my biggest fear is that a fall prevents me from finding my drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980