DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop screws are way too tight? (mini 3)

It would be useful if DJI would confirm the pattern of their screws' crosshead. I suspect that some of their cross heads ARE NOT Phillips.
Be wary of cheap precision screw driver sets, I have some were the crosshead tip have shattered and others where the tips were butter metal.

This and its 'target' may be of interest

There are a number off Mini 3 prop screw threads on the DJI forum.

What you describe "go in up to a certain point and no further" usually happens when you misalign the screw when putting it in. First few rotations Mod Removed Language’the "screw hole", and as you go deeper the resistance increases to the point of not being able to continue further. You can try to unscrew the screw, find a propper insert rotation and try screwing it back in to somewhat "fix" the insides of the hole, but usually its game over.

Last edited by a moderator:
STOP, Throw that piece of Crap DJI Screwdriver away. DO NOT try to use it any more. The best you can hope for is a screw might come loose, more likely you will strip the screw and probably tear up the screwdriver tip. The worse that can happen is the screwdriver will slip and ram into the motor, destroying it or if you are lucky, it will miss the motor and sink into your hand…

If you return your drone to DJI, they will not consider it a warranty issue since you had a "very minor collision"... Let's not beat around the bush, you crashed it…

Go to a local store (Walmart, Target, ACE, Lowes, Home Depot, etc…) and get yourself a REAL set of Precision Screwdrivers… I've included a photo of the type you are looking for. I have several sets that I keep around the house (wife has a set in her SHE Draw, I have a set on my desk, and I have a set in my shop.

The set pictured are metric, but the #0 Phillips is perfect for the DJI Prop Screw. My sets are 5-piece and include the #1 and #0 Phillips, and a 1/8", 3/32", 5/64", and a 3/64" common screwdrivers.

They are perfect for everything small, from removing the prop screws on your drone to replacing the screws in your glasses, to changing the battery in your watch, etc…

You do need to shop around, while I was googling these, the prices ranged from $7 up to over $20. Some sets come with a single driver handle with changeable heads, and some sets came with other types of tips (Hexagon Tips like an allen wrench, Square tips, Torx, etc…). You only need the little Philips and the common screwdriver tips.

A final reminder, THROW that DJI Screwdriver away!

View attachment 151703
Awesome advice!

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lot of good advice. May I add break all screws loose before removing any. Remember the props are held on with shoulder screws which can snap of at point between thread and guide body.. If that happens you have a real mess since the size make them difficult to remove . If designed correctly the motor component should be harder then the screw.

1-Get good hardened tool set
2-Cut props off
3-Break them loose first (I have a small channel lock that the jaws are covered with heat shrink that I use to get a grip)

As mentioned in post#3, if you own a drone, this is a must. Ifixit has several kits to choose from.

Reactions: eva2000
Usually the FREE screwdriver is the you get what you pay for
Pay nothing = Quality not good
Sad to say though this is NOT a dollar store drone
For another 50 Cents DJI could have included an acceptable screwdriver :rolleyes:

With my mini I had to replace a prop. Was hard to get the screws out from the locktite. One wouldnt go all the way back in. Removed
it and after looking some of the locktite was still in the hole. Took a clean screw and used it like a thread chaser very carefully got out
the old locktite then the newscrew set properly .
Now this is to late for the op but make sure that screw hole on the motor is clean.
Don’t have the 3 and those might not have blue locktite. but
this was brought up when the Mini came out. Sorry for jumping in this but might be of help to some in the future.
When cleaning the motor hole do not go in it to far as you might
damage the motor.

This is the kit i highly recommended
Wow, what a beautiful set… Another member also recommended a high end set like this, but yours beats his hands-down… I thought that other set not only had every bit ever made it also spoke three languages…

But your suggested set is so much more. I'll bet yours speaks five languages, washes the car, shops for the groceries, and even walks the dog… You can service my Mini anytime…Thumbswayup:pThumbswayup

I mean that just goes back to the original problem though, the screw seems to go in up to a certain point and then won't screw in further. As show in the picture.

So even if I get the stripped screw removed, the next screw would likely be the same

What's highly likely is that there was some debris in the threaded hub or you cross-threaded the screw. Try removing the screw as @LoudThunder suggested. If you didn't damage the threads in the hub, you still might be able to recover.

If you can't remove the screw or the threads in the hub are wrecked and you're in a hurry to get back into the air, then you might see if a replacement motor is available and how the cost compares to having a repair done by DJI.

As mentioned in post#3, if you own a drone, this is a must. Ifixit has several kits to choose from
Just checked my ifixit kit and for mini 2 at least it's Phillips 000 Screwdriver that fits best and included driver also fits. If I'd use Phillips 00 or JS 00/000 probably would strip it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220715_052305~01.jpg
    IMG_20220715_052305~01.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220715_055932~01~01.jpg
    IMG_20220715_055932~01~01.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220715_060016~01~01.jpg
    IMG_20220715_060016~01~01.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220715_060103~01~01.jpg
    IMG_20220715_060103~01~01.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220715_055055~01~01.jpg
    IMG_20220715_055055~01~01.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 24
Managed to cut the prop off and pry out the screw with a prying tool

Just a warning though, some of the screws seem defective or something from the factor, they tighten way too soon and stick out, while others fit in just fine and tighten at the bottom as they should

I had to go through like 14 screws from the props from the drone package and the fly more kit just to find screws that fit fine. Reported it to DJI, but just a warning if anyone goes to change their mini 3 props

Managed to cut the prop off and pry out the screw with a prying tool

Just a warning though, some of the screws seem defective or something from the factor, they tighten way too soon and stick out, while others fit in just fine and tighten at the bottom as they should

I had to go through like 14 screws from the props from the drone package and the fly more kit just to find screws that fit fine. Reported it to DJI, but just a warning if anyone goes to change their mini 3 props
If you pried the screws out, the threads in the hub are ruined. Even if you finally got a screw to somewhat seat in the hub, it's not something you should trust.

You actually received screws of different diameters, lengths, and thread type with the drone and FMK?

Diameter and length differences are easy to see. You can check to see if the threads are the same by holding two screws together with the heads pointed in opposite directions and seeing if the threads mesh.

Did you check for debris in the screw holes in the hubs?

Do you have photos comparing them?
I could take some, it's very odd, they LOOK the same, same length and everything, but certain screws would tighten out with 20% of the screw stuck above the prop, and then literally just swapping for another screw solved the problem.

I could take some, it's very odd, they LOOK the same, same length and everything, but certain screws would tighten out with 20% of the screw stuck above the prop, and then literally just swapping for another screw solved the problem.
It may be that just putting the same screw in again would have yielded the same result. There could be debris in the threaded hole in the hub or the threads might not be engaging the same way each time. If they're cross threaded, they won't seat completely. With fine pitch threads like these, it's easy to do.

Last edited:
its all starting to sound like a mess now.
I cant see it so don't know for sure, but going by what you have described, i would certainly not be using this to hold a propeller, that stops my bird from crashing to the ground.
At a minimum, you should get some locktite in there to maybe help screw number 14 stay secure

its all starting to sound like a mess now.
I cant see it so don't know for sure, but going by what you have described, i would certainly not be using this to hold a propeller, that stops my bird from crashing to the ground.
At a minimum, you should get some locktite in there to maybe help screw number 14 stay secure
I think its fine now, did two test flights one at around 20-30m altitude for 10 mins, and another later at 100m altitude for about 15-20 mins, no issues so far.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin